Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We all live in a yellow Submarine (or maybe not)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Galvanic corrosion refers directly to the electrochemical reaction between two dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte. Carbon isn't a metal...

It's probably got more to do with multiple extreme pressure cycles causing delamination of the carbon fibre material...

CF is electrically conductive so galvanic corrosion still happens when it contacts metals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:45 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conductive doesn't mean galvanic corrosion would happen. that implies losing or gaining ions rather than allowing ions to flow through.

carbon doesn't rust.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Conductive doesn't mean galvanic corrosion would happen. that implies losing or gaining ions rather than allowing ions to flow through.

carbon doesn't rust.

I think its because CF being conductive allows galvanic corrosion in the metal.

https://www.tc.faa.gov/its/worldpac/techrpt/tctn17-42.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:32 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no free oxygen 3 miles down. No point quoting stuff about planes.

There are five conditions that must be satisfied for composite-to-metal galvanic corrosion to
develop [1]:
1. An actively corroding metal
2. An electrically conductive composite (usually carbon fiber)
3. An electrical connection between the composite and the metal
4. An electrolyte (usually salt water)
5. Oxygen

Titanium is also really not known for oxidising that quickly. In fact Titanium is used in saline environments because it's incredibly resistant to oxidation.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is oxygen when it surfaces. Sure Titanium doesn't oxidise fast and this is not likely to be the cause of failure, it's still interesting.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:42 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the cumulative stress would be the problem. How many trips up and down did it make?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:04 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
MCN wrote:
"The structural integrity of Titan has been brought into question after its creator, Mr Rush, appeared to boast about allegedly cutting corners to design the submersible.

"I'd like to be remembered as an innovator. I think it was General MacArthur said, 'You're remembered for the rules you break'," the 61-year-old said in an old video.

"And you know, I've broken some rules to make this. I think I've broken them with logic and good engineering behind me.

"The carbon fibre and titanium, there's a rule you don't do that - well I did."

He is understood to be talking about the risk of mixing the two materials, which could cause galvanic corrosion due to its different electrochemical properties."

Darwinian Rules remain intact though. Laughing

(Stockton 'Hold my Beer' Rush)

Galvanic corrosion refers directly to the electrochemical reaction between two dissimilar metals in the presence of an electrolyte. Carbon isn't a metal...

It's probably got more to do with multiple extreme pressure cycles causing delamination of the carbon fibre material...

I saw that two...
(I quoted the piece from another source.)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:13 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested they had about a minute or so before implosion.

The vessel lost balance and tipped vertically in the water at about 1500m.
They would all have landed on top of each other in the titanium end cover.

The clown steering would be unable to release the scrap metal (ballast) at that point to allow the vessel to return to thesurface.
So they would have had plenty of time to rethink the whole idea. And ask for their God's forgiveness.
(God must have wanted them for a sunbeam, as God is omnipotent, all powerfully and can work miracles too.)
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8