Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yes, you guessed it: car insurance questions :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:17 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Yes, you guessed it: car insurance questions :( Reply with quote

Sorting out my mum's car insurance again. Last year £435, this year's renewal offer from Tesco £846 Shocked

It seems that's just from moving up from Cornwall as giving her old address to the Meerkats comes out around £460. But hang on! If I bought the car off her tomorrow and insured it in my name at my address (next town over, marginal difference in price between the postcodes) it's ~£270. Huh? It looks like insurers hate having old people in Surrey Thinking

Sticking myself down as a named driver knocks a bit off, adding the wife as well a bit more but oddly if I just have mum + the wife as named driver the quotes go up. Huh?!?!

Naturally, if I have the policy in my name with mum as named driver it goes back down around the £450 mark but is that even valid? Can I take out the policy in my name at mum's address (but I don't live there but would use the car occasionally) or in my name at my own address but the car's kept elsewhere, sounds well iffy, innit Smile

Confused.com Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 26 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the principal driver means the driver who uses the vehicle most often.

Being a named driver means a driver that occasionally drives the vehicle.

In the event of a claim it may be discovered that a named driver is actually the principal driver and payouts could be affected.

They don't make this option as a getaround.

They can enforce it.

The postcode thing is not funny.

I got hammered when I moved from Hull to Glasgow. My car was almost written off in Hull and I have never had a claim in Glasgow.
So their incident statistic algorithm are shyte. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Being the principal driver means the driver who uses the vehicle most often.

Being a named driver means a driver that occasionally drives the vehicle.

In the event of a claim it may be discovered that a named driver is actually the principal driver and payouts could be affected.

One time I directly asked err... Direct Line about this and they categorically stated this is not the case for spouses, no good in this situation of course.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:33 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little bit of logic in the named driver option.

It is related to being the principal driver of several vehicles.
One can only drive one vehicle at a time.

Statistically, the person who drives the vehicle most often is most likely to be involved in a claim related to the vehicle.

It may be changed now.

The insurers didn't want open season on their policies by risky drivers using cars as their own rather than 'occasionally'.
That was the spirit of the named driver thing. Reduced premium because it was cover for occasional use.

It might be cool for mum and dad to let their son Timothy who's using pop's 2nd car for uni but it's not really cricket.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:34 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Re: Yes, you guessed it: car insurance questions :( Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Can I take out the policy in my name at mum's address (but I don't live there but would use the car occasionally) or in my name at my own address but the car's kept elsewhere, sounds well iffy, innit Smile

Misrepresentation of material facts (i.e. lying) when taking out insurance is fraud so no, you can't do that.

Taking a policy out in your name and putting the main driver as a named driver is known as fronting. https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/what-is-car-insurance-fronting/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that all sounds sensible. If only the numbers made more sense people (i.e. me) wouldn't be getting any daft ideas!

What's the logic behind a named driver reducing the insurance premium? On the one hand fibbing about who's the main driver has a fair chance of getting found out but conversely how can the insurance prove a named driver hasn't driven the car at all in the year of the policy term?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:53 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A named driver is someone who can drive it on your insurance but doesn't necessarily actually have to drive it to meet the conditions of the insurance.

For info, I'm a named driver on the mighty Sandero as Mrs Bastard has a lot of no claims and she drives it the most. I have the Strumpet. I do tend to do the driving when we are all in the car though.

No.1 son was a named driver last year but isn't now because the cost went up spectatularly after he passed his test.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 08:54 - 27 Jun 2023; edited 2 times in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:53 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

What's the logic behind a named driver reducing the insurance premium?

It's likely to be more based on statistics than logic. People with a named driver have fewer/cheaper crashes.

The logic would be that a large number of named-driver setups are one car families, where a spouse is a named driver. That likely occupies a big chunk of the "safe" age demographic - too old to crash due to testosterone, too young to crash due to oldness.

I'm not that surprised that being old in Surrey carries a large premium. Surrey has lots of old, well-off people that really shouldn't be driving any more.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:59 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a named driver means you've got the same level of cover as the main driver for the eventuality that you do need to drive the car, it's not to say that you will drive the car.

Ours is not to reason why the big table of statistics says that having you as a named driver on a policy makes it cheaper. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of the insurance underwriting is based on human factors.
Statistics that are important in wagers.

Insurance is a bit of a gamble for insurance companies and theor investors.

They wager that an insured will not collect the bet they have made.

Some drivers say 'Hold my beer'.

It's a pain when insurance premiums are expensive but really when all boiled down, it's better than not being able to drive as you cannot cover your liabilities in the event you are held responsible for an incident.
3rd party claims could cost millions to insurers.

£2.4billion 2022.

Most people cannot afford to pay damages to a 3rd party so pay someone upfront to cover their financial liability.

I can imagine is was much simpler in the days before insurance companies.

One simply walked over to the aggrieved party and poked him with your sword.
Or he poked you.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with direct line and the principle driver on all our policies. However they ask who is the main driver as well and wifie is the main driver on her hairdresser car. They seem quite happy with that.

One thing I noticed this year, all my car policies have gone up significantly after 3ish years of staying pretty much the same. Stupidly I had auto renew ticked so they took my money before I got round to meercat and co.

It is now disabled.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I'm not that surprised that being old in Surrey carries a large premium. Surrey has lots of old, well-off people that really shouldn't be driving any more.

Is it an oddity with the statistics? Being old I'd expect some premium, living in Surrey another but combine the two and the quotes almost double!

Car in my name: Surrey price £270, Cornwall price £250
Car in mum's name: Surrey price £840, Cornwall price £460

(With all else being equal, same NCD, same excess, etc.)

Polarbear wrote:
I'm with direct line and the principle driver on all our policies. However they ask who is the main driver as well and wifie is the main driver on her hairdresser car. They seem quite happy with that.

Interestingly with Direct Line I could take a policy out in my name at my own address, stick my mum down as main driver and even specify her address as the place the car "lives" and.... the quotes come out pretty much the same (vs. policy in her name with me as named driver.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:13 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Ours is not to reason why the big table of statistics says that having you as a named driver on a policy makes it cheaper. Laughing

In our case it's because I passed my test back when you still needed someone waving a red flag running in front....

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:59 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Is it an oddity with the statistics? Being old I'd expect some premium, living in Surrey another but combine the two and the quotes almost double!

Car in my name: Surrey price £270, Cornwall price £250
Car in mum's name: Surrey price £840, Cornwall price £460

(With all else being equal, same NCD, same excess, etc.)

It would suggest that, on average, they are paying out twice as much for old people in that part of Surrey compared to that part of Cornwall.

This could be because one or a combination of:
1. More crashes are happening due to old people in Surrey.
2. The people in Surrey are crashing into more expensive things, meaning higher costs to fix the car/wall/tree they hit.
3. The people in Surrey are crashing into more expensive people, meaning higher costs for medical bills.

I do know that the area around Cobham has a high proportion of relatively healthy, wealthy old people. A lot of them still drive because it's the way to get anywhere, public transport is a bit shit, and they've always done it. They're comparatively healthy for their age, so they think they're OK to drive. When they do have a crash, the insurance picks up the bill, and they blame everyone else.

I avoid the general area on my bike. It's like bumper cars, but with corsas.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into a bit more and it seems there are three factors in play:

Age - get into your '80s and premiums start ramping up dramatically
Sex - older ladies are a greater risk, the reasoning being "oh, your husband died? Very sad. Bet you're driving a lot more now than you used to..."
Area - yes, lots of expensive cars, people and property...

https://media.tenor.com/A609Q0p77cIAAAAd/richer-than-you-poor.gif

Ah well, living in one of the nicer parts of the world will inevitable come with a price.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:23 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Sex

Actually very illegal to set insurance based on gender.

(Sex is a physical act, btw.)

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/sitecore/files/documents/publications/public/migrated/gender/gender-faq.pdf

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
(Sex is a physical act, btw.)

sex
noun
the male, female, or sometimes intersex division of a species, especially as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions or physical characteristics such as genitals, XX and XY chromosomes, etc.

Words can be both nouns and verbs, dontchaknow Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a chat with Tesco about adding some named drivers. Got the renewal down to £640, much better than the Meerkats were offering Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:51 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your paying 600 sovs for insurance?

Shocked

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a renewal notice from AXA for the Galaxy and it's jumped from £320 to £430 comprehensive.
Clean license full no claims etc.
This does include breakdown and recovery though
which is £50 p/a but will do some haggling and comparing the meerket shit now.

I heard on the radio that I'm not the only one getting shafted and the average car insurance premium is now a grand! and here's me bitching about the scooty insurance which cost me £69.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Your paying 600 sovs for insurance?

Shocked

No, my mum who's in her 80s is paying north of 600. Do keep up, Nobby Smile

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 08 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van insurance renewal has gone from £183 last year to £258 this year. Naturally they can 4 cough and I'll
shop around for cheaper. Not that I can use the bastard anymore thanks to the stupid eco wankah zone in Bristol.
Could be time to somewhat poetically pollute a river with a transit since the same zone makes it worth about £10
if I were to try and sell it round here. The council can pay to drag it out again. Eye for an eye.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 30 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that time of year again but this time for my own cars. Renewal came in from Tesco and basically it was a big "fuck you" on the wife's car, almost £200 added Shocked (they wanted an extra £70 for mine.)

Went with Hastings Direct instead which were one of the cheapest suggested by the Meerkats. Ended up paying about the same amount as last year but with slightly better excess.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 30 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My insurance almost halved from the circa £2000 it was last year to circa 1000 it was this year on the Tesla.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 01 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, but after several years of dealing with car insurance I realised that the voluntary amount makes very little difference to the monthly/annual cost.
So for the past few years I just put £0 voluntary excess - we get stung by the forced excess enough as it is anyway!
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2