Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another ULEZ money grab?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Another ULEZ money grab? Reply with quote

The RAC posted this, I don't suppose it counts as news nowadays, more a given.....

A council in England has announced plans to introduce higher fees for parking, based on the level of emissions from the driver’s vehicle. London’s Lambeth Council is set to introduce these emissions-based charges, and several other councils across the country are considering the plans as well.

Details in the article attached.

I can't say I'm surprised but hopefully bikes won't be included or be ignored but not knowing London I don't know how motor bike friendly Lambeth is.

But, the real reason I posted this is half way down the article...

Of more the near 3,000 responses in the consultation, 59% objected to the plans. However, Lambeth introduced the changes despite opposition.

Again, I don't know if there are any rules about adhereing to the results of a consultation but it seems utterly pointless having them if a council can just ride roughshod over the results.

Anyway, how long before my lovely old Jag is totally worthless and can't be driven anywhere without getting a surcharge because it kills kittens (allegedly). Evil or Very Mad

What's the ruling on old cars that are exempt MOT's etc? Are they exempt ULEZ? I quite fancy a 2 stroke Trabant to piss off Reichsfurher Khan and co.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/owners-of-the-most-polluting-cars-be-set-to-pay-more-for-parking-in-england/

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better if they taxed those that used indicators.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:16 - 30 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely they should be encouraging people to park the most polluting cars. It's driving them that causes the problem.

I'm pretty sure historic vehicles are exempt from the Edinburgh emissions zone charging. Couldn't say about anywhere else.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Another ULEZ money grab? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
What's the ruling on old cars that are exempt MOT's etc? Are they exempt ULEZ? I quite fancy a 2 stroke Trabant to piss off Reichsfurher Khan and co.

With regards to TFL a classic vehicle (car or motorcycle) is exempt from the ULEZ charge. The Congestion Charge however still applies to cars (but not bikes.)

But this is Lambeth we're talking about (where the physical laws of the universe change when you cross into the borough) Motorcycles are charged a single price so there's no difference parking up a 2 stroke thumper, EV motorcycle or a Triumph Rocket.

Residents' Parking Charge, Motorcycles wrote:
12-month 6-month 3-month
£52.50 £32.03 £21.79

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:08 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the ULEZ rules that are more offensive, it's the fact that the carparking in within the zone. Which forces one to suffer the scum that are permitted to ride on public transport.
If public transport was policed more effectively, where one didn't feel like having to defend yourself against physical attack, it would work. I could manage that.
But last time I used the train into town (drinking session) there was a 'female' I think it was a ho, as drunk as a khunt, on the train into Glasgow from Edinburgh with a loud and potty mouth.
That needs to be addressed before we go green.

I can defend myself but it ain't going to look pretty on the CCTV. Embarassed

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

.. there was a 'female' I think it was a ho, as drunk as a khunt, on the train into Glasgow from Edinburgh with a loud and potty mouth.

Sturgeon?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

so basically its a tax on the poorest motorists. those that cant afford shiny new low emission vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:53 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
so basically its a tax on the poorest motorists. those that cant afford shiny new low emission vehicles.

Exactly right.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Exactly right.

Exactly Left actually. Lambeth is a Labour council so obviously they hate the poor.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 01 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If right thinking is applied. We keep the bangers we are running now. And ensure they pass the current MOT emissions rules.
And when they cannot pass the current test we scrap for new/er.

It's going to cost MCN circa 18000 big ones just to pass a LEZ.

It's fuking moronic.

It always has been moronic.

We still had horses shitting in the street in the 60s.
It's not like they were all slaughtered for Chum just coz IC engines became the rage.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If right thinking is applied. We keep the bangers we are running now. And ensure they pass the current MOT emissions rules.
And when they cannot pass the current test we scrap for new/er..

Old vehicles are tested with the maximum limits that were standard at the time, and therefore should (effectively) pass the emissions test every year unless something is seriously wrong.

I've never actually had a vehicle fail for emissions, and it's only in 2021 that I had my first fuel injected car (up until then I have had carburettored cars).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Old vehicles are tested with the maximum limits that were standard at the time, and therefore should (effectively) pass the emissions test every year unless something is seriously wrong.

I had a 1992 Mk2 Golf, 1.8L carb. Eventually had to scrap it due to the MoT emissions test. If it'd been a 1991 or earlier it would have passed. Not sure whether something changed with cars in general in 1992 or because the 1992 1.8 Driver was a "parts bin special" Thinking

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

'92 was the introduction of Euro 1.

As a side note, I'm not saying that emissions on a car don't get worse, but legislation in regards to vehicles and testing of them generally are not retrospective.

Some manufactures changed to injection even on base models for '92 and added a CAT, others tried to get around by adding computers and CATs onto cars that were still carburettored. Generally, the latter are the ones which caused the biggest headaches. The full conversion throttle bodied cars tended to do better off Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:15 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tax fuel. It is the best way to encourage people to not pollute unnecessarily.

I say that as someone who has spent £5k+ on fuel in the past year.

All these bullshit little bits and pieces are unfair and just screw random people rather than just focusing on the one simple and easy place to tax emissions.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Just tax fuel. It is the best way to encourage people to not pollute unnecessarily.

I say that as someone who has spent £5k+ on fuel in the past year.

All these bullshit little bits and pieces are unfair and just screw random people rather than just focusing on the one simple and easy place to tax emissions.

But that way the government can't put a black box in your car and know where you are for pay-per-mile /tinhat
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
if i lived in london id buy a classic american V8

Last of the V8 Interceptors. Thumbs Up

ULEZ must be ripe for a campaign of civil disobedience through widespread non-payment. Is it the drivers’ poll tax?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:22 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Whilst I agree with you on broad policy terms, that only really works for CO2 emissions. Also, governments of multiple colours have been unwilling to raise fuel duty much (if at all) for about 20 years.

Emissions zones like the ULEZ are intended to reduce the emissions that cause local air quality problems, not CO2. Burning a litre of petrol will produce 2.3kg of CO2 more of less regardless of the engine. The levels of NOx, SOx, CO and particulates vary massively.

It will be interesting if anyone tries much enforcement for bikes. Our newest emissions standard is Euro 5, which is incredibly poor from a car perspective. There are also hardly any electric bikes out there worth buying. Even I don't have one, and I actively want one despite the obvious disadvantages.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
It will be interesting if anyone tries much enforcement for bikes. Our newest emissions standard is Euro 5, which is incredibly poor from a car perspective. There are also hardly any electric bikes out there worth buying. Even I don't have one, and I actively want one despite the obvious disadvantages.

Given the number of bikes versus cars, vans, lorries, etc. their environmental impact is barely a rounding error for Europe anyway. Be curious as to their pollution contribution in Far Eastern cities.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:57 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impact is a rounding error, if you're looking at it in a logical way. If you're looking at it in absolutes, bikes are getting a loophole.

It's something where the deliveroo crowd could be useful, seeing as they generally have fairly new 125cc scooters, which are good on all kinds of emissions. It's probably improving the averages for the rest of us.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
The impact is a rounding error, if you're looking at it in a logical way. If you're looking at it in absolutes, bikes are getting a loophole.

Dealing in absolutes, that never turns out badly Neutral It's almost like we have group amnesia about the whole 20th Century Sad

But yes, we're now riding the coattails of the Deliveroo crowd. With regards to parking, emissions, congestion charge, ULEZ, etc. what is the difference between a 125 scooter and Triumph Rocket 3? Slightly higher road tax and slightly more spent on fuel duty. (With regards to the environment so disregarding the initial cost and insurance.)

Is that fair? Nope but if the government wants to go down the route of inflicting "fairness" on us then the whole road tax, MoT and DVSA system will need to be torn up and redone and they're far to lazy for that. The only thing that would make a difference is money and there are not enough bikers to make it worth conjuring up as many punitive taxes as car drivers endure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly changing the conversation as it has got onto ULEZ rather than Lambeth ulez parking.

Where my youngest daughter works, right by Richmond park, is going to get caught up in the expanded ulez this August. While I understand the arguements for and against (I still think it's a money grab) she tells me the public transport around there is pants. No tube and the bus service is poor. It seems to me a decent public transport service is a pre requisit for a ulez zone.

North of the river, ok, tube, lots of busses but south seems pretty sh1t.

Edited to add this article that popped up on my feed....

ULEZ: London mayor lacks powers to expand zone, High Court told

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66094244?fbclid=IwAR10HhdE4263ZYPvfnVWZgWkUcHXWdE3xDBfH5AlTYx65R7qdlnA-KltGUs

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:38 - 05 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as most things politics.
People believe they choose their political person and therefore have control over how politics affects them.

It just doesn't work like that.

Folk go along with whatever politics folk tell them to.

It's much easier to just moan about it than to actually do something about it, such as sit at one of the MPs surgeries and shout down their plans.
(Locally that has some bearing. Only if enough folk attend. )

The big stuff we have almost no control over.
Politics will bend.

The bunch of halfwits that UK governments put in position in the EU are great examples of how politics sucks.

Walking away from 50 years of heavy investment in an economy. It was fucking ludicrous.

We should have stayed in the club and complained more.

You can't change club rules by being not in the club FFS.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:22 - 05 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
North of the river, ok, tube, lots of busses but south seems pretty sh1t.

Pretty much. South and SE have the Croydon tram system, east is the DLR but there's a sharp drop-off in services for SW London once you get past the Merton area and it's been like that forever.

I suspect the posh people of SW London would rather there weren't the public transport links. Keeps the riff raff to a minimum Laughing

Last edited by Easy-X on 09:26 - 05 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 09:25 - 05 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of rail way stations though, and busses up you shizzle.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2