Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Outboard motors for boats

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:06 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Outboard motors for boats Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Was interested about starting a new hobby, getting away from bikes for a bit and I've got the notion to buy an outboard with the idea of fixing it up and attaching it to a small boat.

I understand bike engines but I know fuck all about boat engines. Just interesting to see what makes have what problems, what to get and what to avoid. If anyone can shed any light.

From what I've read I'd be looking for a two stroke around 15/20bhp for a decent turn of speed. Boat would be fairly small 8/12ft approx.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outboards can be as much PIA as motorbikes. But you canny push a boat to the petrol station.

The most reliable are 4 stroke.

They need more maintenance than bikes.
When they come out the water the cooling system needs to be flushed with fresh water and added inhibitor if you want.

Small 3 cylinder. Would be good.

Most have electronic ignition.
I think fuel injection too.
Fuel needs to be spotless clean and fresh.
Dirty/stale fuel can leave you stranded.

Make sure the engine is matched to the boat.

Hull size and shape.

Bigger engine/s might not mean faster when it comes to boats.

Buy and use life jackets. It's embarrassing to be hauled out the water lifeless. Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend money on whores first, whores can get you out of trouble

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Spend money on whores first, whores can get you out of trouble

You fukin phone auto text. Rolling Eyes

You mean Oars.

Ya big dafty.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:49 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same issues as bikes. There is a lot of chinese shite out there.

Buying second hand, I'd go for one being sold by a marina ona freshwater lake off one of their rescue boats. They'll usually have been regularly serviced and haven't been exposed to salt.

My Dad always used to have problems with the water cooling impellars corroding/seizing on outboards. Also nobody ever changes the gearbox oil in them.

There are the usual Japanese makes, same as motorbikes. Tohatsu also seem to do a decent budget motor.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible things to work on unless you have a workshop and decent stand for them. When I was doing boat repairs I started repairing them alongside diesel engines but soon decided to give them up. Almost impossible to work on site. A sod to lift on and off the boat and spares are expensive.

Buying for a bit of fun to do up for yourself is a bit different of course. No time constraints or budgets to consider.

As for makes. Same as bikes the Japanese are best in my view. I had a Honda as my personal engine on my old cruiser, totally reliable. Yamaha has a good reputaion as well. I wouldn't go 2 stroke but that's a personal choice.

TBH if you are talking a dinghy I would be inclined to either go electric or buy a cheap as chips Seagull for the lols.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that's been said already pretty much covers it. I'll add another manufacturer to the mix though, and that's Evinrude. Good solid workhorses.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:10 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, an old seagull would be fun to work on, super simple. The outboard equivalent of a CG125.

As above, hard to know why you'd want a 2t unless it's one of the utterly bonkers 250bhp+ fuel injected V5 things the Yanks like to put on small pleasure craft. A wee tohatsu/evinrude/yamaha 4t will purr along all day long and you won't find yourself hanging over the back of the transom in a 10ft swell trying to change a fucking sparkplug.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:15 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. The recoiling pull starts fuck up for fun too, usually at the least oppertune moment so if it doesn't have an electric start, make sure that's in good order and put a new rope on it long before it starts looking worn. Unless you get a seagull where you just wrap any old bit fo rope around the pulley, you can start those with a shoelace.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:19 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, my logic was small boat lighter engine with some power and I'm not sure of the hp rating. As I say I'm just beginning to do a bit of research into it.

I'll maybe switch to the honda 5hp 4 stroke outboards to get used to servicing them and maneuvering them about. Hadnt thought about the weight. I've got a spare wheelie to stick it in to test the water pump and flush it through when I get it.

Will 5hp be enough It'll mostly be used on lochs and lakes. The boat will be getting loaded up with some camping gear and another person at the most

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also whats purpose of a short shaft Vs a normal length one?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

Presumably for shallower water.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:46 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

Will 5hp be enough It'll mostly be used on lochs and lakes. The boat will be getting loaded up with some camping gear and another person at the most

That all depends on the size and weight of the boat and the hull design.

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:17 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at that as it's easy to put away and maneuver to the water.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145152193013?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=duaDrITMSma&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mHPF4q5oTHC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

If you read the description the guy says about it being a superior design for the hull. I've no idea what makes a decent hull but I'm assuming a 4t outboard would be able to push that at a satisfactory rate

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:21 - 06 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
I had a look at that as it's easy to put away and maneuver to the water.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145152193013?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=duaDrITMSma&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=mHPF4q5oTHC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

If you read the description the guy says about it being a superior design for the hull. I've no idea what makes a decent hull but I'm assuming a 4t outboard would be able to push that at a satisfactory rate

My Dad had a similar one for messing about in and yes, 5hp is more than sufficient.

It's got a semi-solid bottom to the hull with a slight V so you'll probably even get it up on the plane. Most of them just have a soft bottom with a bit of wood on the inside.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 07 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

All depends on the height of the transom to the keel. Your propeller should be just below the keel so the waterflow is not disturbed by the boat.

Plenty of vids on the net to tell you how to check what length shaft for your boat.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:25 - 07 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the normal approach to motorboats is to buy the boat you need, then match the Engine to the boat.

Most often they come as a set.

A marine engineer has already worked out the keel to horsepower numbers for the rig.

And remember, a boat is not just for Christmas.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 07 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

As above, hard to know why you'd want a 2t unless it's one of the utterly bonkers 250bhp+ fuel injected V5 things the Yanks like to put on small pleasure craft.

I once had the idea to build a bike around one of those 2t v8 outboard/snowmobile motors but I came across 2 major flaws in my plan. Namely service life in hours does not make for a good road vehicle and also (and probably more importantly) Im definitely too poor to afford one and almost certainly too poor/unskilled to build it into a useable motorbike.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:02 - 07 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

I once had the idea to build a bike around one of those 2t v8 outboard/snowmobile motors but I came across 2 major flaws in my plan. Namely service life in hours does not make for a good road vehicle and also (and probably more importantly) Im definitely too poor to afford one and almost certainly too poor/unskilled to build it into a useable motorbike.

I had a similar idea but what put me off was the size of radiator you'd need. They normall cool them by pumping round huge volumes of cold water.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.redd.it/73cwoawe7lab1.jpg

225hp should be enough
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small inflatable that I use on the Thames and occasional jaunts on the salty stuff. I’ve popped across to the Isle of Wight a few times and went exploring the west coast of Scotland.

I’ve got a little Honwave T38 which is a fully inflatable model with a high-pressure floor so there’s no fecking about with aluminium panels and stringers. Just drag it out of the car, inflate and go. If you want to carry dogs or do lots of fishing, the boats with ply or aluminium floors might be more suitable.

I have 2 engines for mine. For the river I use a little 6hp Yamaha four stroke. It’s quiet(ish), non-smoky and very frugal on fuel. The Thames speed limit is 5mph and with 2 people and a picnic that engine would struggle to break the limit. Solo it will just about get the boat up and planing to about 13mph, but like a 125 bike you wouldn’t want a headwind or it’ll slow down.

For more spirited hooning out at sea I have a 25hp 2T. It’s badged as Mariner, but actually made by Tohatsu. It’s noisy and gulps fuel but smells great and goes like stink. It’ll get the boat on plane with four adults and I’ve had 30mph out of it solo. Which in a boat of that size feels terrifyingly fast.

Outboards and bike engines aren’t very comparable. Pushing a boat through water is significantly harder that pushing a rolling chassis through air. So the outboards tend to be designed with a lower horsepower per CC than a bike. For example my 25hp engine is a 430cc twin. On a bike you’d expect a massively higher HP, but I assume the outboard is designed to deliver the best balance of torque and power to run in that environment.

For most small boats you want a short shaft.

Be aware of weight. My boat and 25hp are a little over 50kg each. That’s right on the limit for what I can safely lift (as a sedentary middle-aged bloke). I can move them around ok, but always use a trolley to move them any distance. The 6hp is 27kg which is an easy one-hand carry.

These days the sweet spot for a small inflatable boat engine seems to be the modern Japanese 20hp 4T engines. They weigh in at round 47kg, sip fuel and are virtually silent at tickover.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:30 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Not a bike but I knew I'd seen one, 400bhp V8 stroker...
https://images.carexpert.com.au/resize/3000/-/app/uploads/2020/07/Screen-Shot-2020-07-20-at-9.13.36-am.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape of the Hull determines what speed an engine can push it through the water.
Adding more horses will just blow the screw off the engine due to cavitation. (Wheel Spin.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:04 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hull speed, but when it's designed to go up on plane the calcs change entirely between before and after.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:15 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Hull speed, but when it's designed to go up on plane the calcs change entirely between before and after.

I calculated for a trimaran with trimable hydrofoils. Cool
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2