Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is BCF Left or Right of 'political' centre?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Is BCF politically left, right or neutral?
Left
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
Right
58%
 58%  [ 14 ]
Central
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 24

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Get a quote for a Sur-Ron Storm Bee. Laughing

£1500 for a 20 year old Laughing £900 excess Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for yourself?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed my car insurance - any car, any postcode - has universally dropped like a stone. Motorcycle insurance, not so much. It's only gone down a wee bit for a run of the mill modern bike but I know a vintage bike would be pennies Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:47 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
And for yourself?

£421 with full no claims etc. Jeeze, more than my Jaguar. £200 more than my 1200cc Triumph Trophy. Laughing

That's mental.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van insurance went up this year. Not by much, £30. Hunted everywhere and couldn't beat renewal price anywhere.
What pisses me off though was the renewal fee of £40 added to that. An admin fee for taking your business again for
another year. Unfuckingbelievable. Daylight robbery.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewal fee?! That. Is. bollox.

Get some other quotes, take your business elsewhere if you can.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 15 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Oh I did, tried three comparison sites and that was still the best I could find. Van insurers aren't as common as car
insurers so choice is limited somewhat. Inevitably, once my details were on a few comparison sites I had a few ring
me up and try their luck, went through the 200 questions since it was their phone bill and none of them could beat
my renewal either. Just for reference, last year was £183 fully comprehensive for a 2012 Transit Connect
T200 75 panel van and this year it was £213 plus £40 cloud cuckoo land pisstaking fee via Swinton. Not earth
shatteringly expensive and still less than what it costs to tax the thing for a year but the way they dream up these
extra charges is a damned disgrace.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 15 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Oh I did, tried three comparison sites and that was still the best I could find. Van insurers aren't as common as car
insurers so choice is limited somewhat. Inevitably, once my details were on a few comparison sites I had a few ring
me up and try their luck, went through the 200 questions since it was their phone bill and none of them could beat
my renewal either. Just for reference, last year was £183 fully comprehensive for a 2012 Transit Connect
T200 75 panel van and this year it was £213 plus £40 cloud cuckoo land pisstaking fee via Swinton. Not earth
shatteringly expensive and still less than what it costs to tax the thing for a year but the way they dream up these
extra charges is a damned disgrace.

Out of curiosity why is a van more expensive than an MPV version? Wifies Tourneo Connct 7 seater is about £50 less than that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 15 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Out of curiosity why is a van more expensive than an MPV version? Wifies Tourneo Connct 7 seater is about £50 less than that.

Because vans frequently get broken into for tools or parcels, sometimes on the off chance. Mine's kept empty but
none the less, it's hard to see that from outside. I had a full sized transit broken into in 2004 in Loughton, it was a van
I leased to do courier work in, sign written as such with Lewis Day Couriers logos. Braindead of the thief, couriers
pick up and drop off same day and drive home empty. They still broke in to have a look though. Within my price I have
some cover for tools and can use it professionally for delivery or handyman work if I should choose to without breaking
the terms of my cover. A great deal or Evri drivers are doing deliveries on social, domestic and pleasure insurance.
You also have bigger blind spots, I suspect there's a statistic somewhere that means vans crash more often.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:32 - 15 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been told that if you seek to renew insurance about a month before it expires youll get better quotes because your seen as more cautious.
not tried myself so cant say if there is any truth to it. worth considering though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance on my Tesla this year was nearly half what it was last year. I thought it was because the insurer (Privilege) had got a better handle on how to insure electric cars but it seems everyone is getting decent drops in insurance.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wonder why the insurance on my diesel non LEZ compliant vehicle has gone up. It's a real mystery.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Yes, I wonder why the insurance on my diesel non LEZ compliant vehicle has gone up. It's a real mystery.

Maybe there's an increase in the number of people setting up cowboy businesses and using older vans? There certainly seem to be a lot that have popped up near me over the last eighteen months. One man band removals/handyman/gardening etc, all with older vans. Have you looked to see what the insurance is on a new or newer van of the same model?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
The insurance on my Tesla this year was nearly half what it was last year. I thought it was because the insurer (Privilege) had got a better handle on how to insure electric cars but it seems everyone is getting decent drops in insurance.

Cost to your street cred though? Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:20 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Maybe there's an increase in the number of people setting up cowboy businesses and using older vans? There certainly seem to be a lot that have popped up near me over the last eighteen months. One man band removals/handyman/gardening etc, all with older vans. Have you looked to see what the insurance is on a new or newer van of the same model?

So it's a crime to have an older vehicle now? How do you know they're cowboy businesses? They could have trade
insurance and public liability insurance too, it's not like you have to display anything to confirm that. My van's
just over 10 years old, how many people on here have bikes older than 2013? Should they have to renew too?
How old's your Vauxhall?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 17 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

So it's a crime to have an older vehicle now? How do you know they're cowboy businesses? They could have trade
insurance and public liability insurance too, it's not like you have to display anything to confirm that. My van's
just over 10 years old, how many people on here have bikes older than 2013? Should they have to renew too?
How old's your Vauxhall?

It's not what I think it's what the insurance companies compute with all (supposedly) the data they have. Im also of the opinion there's a general conspiracy to punish those who dont toe the line and sign up to the whole do everything through massive networks of interlocked credit streams, never really owning anything and never really making genuine gains. So the poor bod who sinks his savings into a second hand van gets crapped on from a height. What he's meant to do of course is go lease a van of course.

As for cowboy businesses. Going by some of the bizarre constructions in people's gardens round me and the gossip on local social media there is a lot of s#1te work being done for gullible coin.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define center? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Define center? Laughing

It’s American for ‘middle’.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Define center? Laughing

Center? Puke Illiterate Americanism.

CENTRE, Val, centre.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Motorcycle ownership being a leasure choice of a relatively affluent older group.

And yet, weirdly - that's not how it started out Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

And yet, weirdly - that's not how it started out Laughing

Might be changing now though given the cost of cars and public transport, that cheap 125 is looking very attractive to youngsters. It sounds good but it's more evidence our society is being taken back to a time when only the local doctor, solicitor or accountant could afford a car.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1960's yearly income for the average worker ~ £1,000, a nice Triumph ~£300, cars were around £600 upwards. So maybe either spend a quarter to a third of your income on bike vs. two thirds or more on a car.

Average income now ~ £30,000. Medium sized bike ~£6,000, average car ~£20,000. Bike a fifth to a quarter of income, car again two thirds or more.

Bikes are even more affordable now and yet ownership has gone down Thinking

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing that has changed is obstacles placed in the way of licence.
A few round here in their 30s/40s say they would love a bike ... But...
Even understanding what you are supposed to do is not straightforward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The main thing that has changed is obstacles placed in the way of licence.
A few round here in their 30s/40s say they would love a bike ... But...
Even understanding what you are supposed to do is not straightforward.

Yes, absolutely. When I started riding you could jump on a 250 with L plates. My very first bike (after a moped at 16) was a YDS7. Now I wouldn't for a minute say that would be a good thing nowadays but even to get your CBT is a faff and expense many can't be bothered with.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Bikes are even more affordable now and yet ownership has gone down Thinking

Because the nanny state says EVERYTHING is dangerous and bad for you now and loads of people listen to them.
There's no adventure in people any more, no gumption to do anything with a bit of risk. They're convinced their 7 airbag
NCAP 5 Eurobox will save them 100% of the time when they are distracted by Instagram and drive into a motorway
bridge at 70mph. But there's none of that on a bike. They don't like the idea of being cold and wet either, I have to agree
with them on that one 10c or a 30% chance of rain are my thresholds, then it's the car with it's heated seats and steering
wheel for me. The bike can stay in the shed not getting all crudded up by road filth and salt.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4