Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A100 rides again..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: A100 rides again.. Reply with quote

Hi y'all.

I'm back in the vogue of dicking about with my old A100 which I just got back on the road after about 5 years (pumped tyres up and cleaned carb - started too with some help from carb cleaner on very old fuel Thumbs Up )

I have a GP100 spoked wheel disc brake front end (rare) to try and fit and I thought I'd have a go at improving the lighting too.

As far as i recall the headlight is 6V and I think works on half wave rectified volts, or maybe it's full AC direct from a dedicated coil on the alternator and not off the battery Thinking

Anyone got advice on fitting a LED lamp? I guess if full AC this not possible.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED front is doable, you just need a reversed polarity led, rear isn't unless you have a seperate fitting for the brake and rear lights.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about the bulb type but I have a P15D bulb on my Suzuki of similar vintage. Was also toying the idea of maybe buying 25w halogen bulb instead of the 18w or 25w incandescent currently inside. Could be an idea if you don't want to mess with the wiring ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P15D looks likely I guess I just need to check the fitting and google whats out there..

.. even halogen would be an improvement if you can get them.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love another A100, by far the best bike i've ever owned. I wouldn't modify it though - it would be 100% original as Suzuki intended it.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
I'd love another A100, by far the best bike i've ever owned. I wouldn't modify it though - it would be 100% original as Suzuki intended it.

There you go..
..only missing the lower chain guard from what I can tell..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295807928849

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:16 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's properly half rectified, you can use an LED, you'll need to check if it's positive or negative earth (put a meter on it with the common lead to the frame and see if it reads a + or - reading, a + reading means it's negative earth). If it's fullwave AC, they don't work (I tried, it went bang).

Still options though. One would be to halfwave rectify it with a diode in the headlight feed then use the appropriate polarity LED bulb (or buy one and see if it works and if it doesn't, fit the diode the other way round).

The other would be to convert it to DC lighting off the battery which at its simplest with most bikes of that era fitted with a split charging coil would simply be to disconnect the lighting feed from the coil and attach it to the battery instead. To add a very slight layer of complexity, if it's just sending the coil output straight to the battery through a 2-pole selenium rectifier which many of them do, it would also be worth upgrading to a single phase reg/rec which will significantly smooth the output and increase battery life. This is what I did with Mrs stinkwheels YB100.

If it has a ballast resistor, you can safely disconnect it if you fitted a reg/rec.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEDs will illuminate with lower power than their board is made for. It means they can overheat and die.

The boards accommodate a lot of fuzzy quality.

Wire build glow yellow if not enough oomph. LEDs will light as bright as normal. But their card will be working overtime to let the light work.

Just sayin.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Operating range for the last set of LED headlights I fitted was 3-48v.

DC conversion is probably your best bet. It's what I did on my Enfield Bullet. It has a single phase, 10A alternator charging the smallest battery I could find and is running a thoroughly modern feeling H4 equivalent LED headlamp bulb with which I have navigated forestry tracks in the dark and LED bulbs throughout. The entire electrical system, with engine running, full beam headlight, tail light, flashers and brake lights all on is drawing 4A.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

LEDs are very possible on old full or half wave AC systems
I stuck em on that old Moby I sometimes work on for guy I know.
In fact, despite the pissy wee stator the Moby had, going for a full 12v DC conversion with leds was quite doable even though it had no battery.
I did put a capacitor on though which gave more consistent light output
but a battery will do a better job.

This also allowed the use of cheap easy to find components should any fail in future

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full AC direct off the alternator is confirmed. Current blub is 35/35W of this type..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142832965946

instead of 25/25 ..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

But only about half the brightness you would expect from a full bridge rectifier though right ?

How abut one of these to pick up the output from the two coils then pick up the former AC headlight signal direct form the battery..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295414757244?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
redeem ouzzer wrote:

There you go..
..only missing the lower chain guard from what I can tell..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295807928849

Identical to my first motorbike back in 1987.

Wouldn't but that one though, just reading the add tells me I'd find the seller rather too annoying.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

But only about half the brightness you would expect from a full bridge rectifier though right ?

How abut one of these to pick up the output from the two coils then pick up the former AC headlight signal direct form the battery..

Not really, it depends on how you wire the stator and Reg/rec
6V35W = 5.8Amps and most that power/current is just heating the element not emitting light
Just 20W would give you an excellent LED head light so you have wiggle room.
I'd rewire the stator to 3 phase into a cheap common RR & battery
(6.3Ah YTZ7S for instance)
Keep the points but use them as signal source for a similarly cheap and common DC CDI unit.
They'd probably never burn out cos the low current means they no longer have to supply power to the coil, just a high/low trigger voltage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:32 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

The LED won't run dimly. It's either got a working voltage or it hasn't. If it's borderline, it'll flicker annoyingly then eventually burn out.

There seem to be two types of A100 stator from looking at pictures. One of them has two coils on it which are paralell to one another (one is a split lighting/charging coil, the other is for the ignition). The other has three coils. Which is yours?

A wiring diagram would be handy so we know exactly what's going on on your specific bike.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The LED won't run dimly. It's either got a working voltage or it hasn't. If it's borderline, it'll flicker annoyingly then eventually burn out.

There seem to be two types of A100 stator from looking at pictures. One of them has two coils on it which are paralell to one another (one is a split lighting/charging coil, the other is for the ignition). The other has three coils. Which is yours?

A wiring diagram would be handy so we know exactly what's going on on your specific bike.

Ah I figured that if a LED was only 'ON' during the positive half of the AC cycle then the ON/OFF effect would make it dimmer overall, but perhaps not as dim as an incandescent bulb.

Mine is a 1980 model with the three coils I think one is for ignition. one direct AC for head lights and one passes via a simple single diode only 'rectifier' to the battery which then provides supply for indicators and brake light.

This is similar to my GT250, only the rectifier is full bridge, no reg - I replaced that with a generic rec/reg which seems to work OK (13-15V output).

I'll take a pic of the diagram that came with the owner's manual - the choice is for Pakistan wiring or 'other countries' Confused

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ah I figured that if a LED was only 'ON' during the positive half of the AC cycle then the ON/OFF effect would make it dimmer overall, but perhaps not as dim as an incandescent bulb.

There's almost certainly a smoothing capacitor in the circuitry of all but the cheapest and nastiest LED bulbs.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiring diagram attached,

If I made (or used the now redundant one off the GT250 Thinking ) 4 diode bridge rectifier
would I common the load -ve and the alternator 'earth'. The diagram seems to imply the coil output is single ended rather than 'floating'.

Cheers

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:13 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Wiring diagram attached,

If I made (or used the now redundant one off the GT250 Thinking ) 4 diode bridge rectifier
would I common the load -ve and the alternator 'earth'. The diagram seems to imply the coil output is single ended rather than 'floating'.

Cheers

Good question, probably one for WDforte. Or possibly could you desolder the "earth" end of the coil and run it into a reg/rec with the white/red as the other leg?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Good question, probably one for WDforte. Or possibly could you desolder the "earth" end of the coil and run it into a reg/rec with the white/red as the other leg?

Darn - just realised that diag is for the older 2 coil alternator. Rolling Eyes

I think my version has a full coil for the main lighting rather than a tap-off.

Cheers

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I made the same mistake wondering where the ignition power came from until I spotted the wee twisty igntion power coil
in the diagram near the points

I think the simplest (and reversible ) option is to keep the windings for the ignition power and the output from the existing coils
( W/R & Y/W)
into a 4 wire 2 phase RegRec with 12v output and battery
the Y/W for lights can be fed via fuse from the ignition switch
There's also resistor I presume is to act as a ad hoc ballast that can be by passed now you'll have a regulator.
12V LED blubs of course and 12v flasher unit

If you want, when I have time I'll frig that diagram with the changes involved, it isn't that much or hard

4 WIRE REGREC ( I used this on that Mobylette)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123754926003?
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NOAAAOSw5llkSGVm/s-l1600.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be a full wave rectifier of a single coil rather than the usual 3 coils halfwave rectified.

(4 diodes in a diamond configeration)

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, before I get too ahead of myself I need to find a better (brighter)
lamp of the correct fitting.

The one in it looks like this odd bugger.. with the three lugs.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/a7wAAOSwkydkiWhr/s-l400.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:03 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edd China actually did a demonstration on Wheeler Dealers of bulbs of different cost of the same fitting type and wattage. There higher quality bulbs out there which are brighter and provide a better beam pattern.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Edd China actually did a demonstration on Wheeler Dealers of bulbs of different cost of the same fitting type and wattage. There higher quality bulbs out there which are brighter and provide a better beam pattern.

Well indeed..

In order of 'easiness' & cost.

1) Find a Halogen of that fitting

2) Find a LED of that fitting and rectify the lighting coil AC to DC (full wave)

3) Convert to 12V , rectify, change all bulbs and flasher unit then find a battery that will fit in the compartment etc..

Cheers

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2