Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

iatm8701
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:27 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

Hi All,
After procrastinating for over a decade of wanting to ride I have finally made it my goal to go ahead and get it done.
I have loved bikes since I was in my teens but never quite got round to doing it or became to concerned that I would push the limits and get myself into a world of pain.

I am now 38 years old and using a 125cc (with Ls) and about to take a lesson on a 125cc. I know its a good bike to learn on and i am enjoying it more and more as I use the full rev range but I can't help but feel it being bloody slow.

I am used to fast cars, BMW M6, M3, porsches, etc which no stranger to quick acceleration and stability too.

How have people felt or thought when they moved off the 125cc to something like a 500-700cc bike. How has the enjoyment been or the fear factor changed? Any thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks
Newbie from Scotland
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:
Hi All,
After procrastinating for over a decade of wanting to ride I have finally made it my goal to go ahead and get it done.
I have loved bikes since I was in my teens but never quite got round to doing it or became to concerned that I would push the limits and get myself into a world of pain.

I am now 38 years old and using a 125cc (with Ls) and about to take a lesson on a 125cc. I know its a good bike to learn on and i am enjoying it more and more as I use the full rev range but I can't help but feel it being bloody slow.

I am used to fast cars, BMW M6, M3, porsches, etc which no stranger to quick acceleration and stability too.

How have people felt or thought when they moved off the 125cc to something like a 500-700cc bike. How has the enjoyment been or the fear factor changed? Any thoughts would be most welcome

Thanks
Newbie from Scotland

Your M6 and M3 are not fast cars. My dog shit build-quality Tesla gaps both of them from a standing start.

125cc to 650cc for me was a huge leap but after six months the 650cc didn't excite me as much as it did. It feels like an animal to begin with but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The only time I've felt like I was on the edge was hooning a litre bike.

There's no real fear factor with a 500 - 650cc unless you're fucking hooning it.

EDIT: I ain't no street Rossi, I am a shitebag in the twisties. A 500cc is plenty fun in the twists but it's not going to light your bollocks on fire on a straight.

iatm8701
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:17 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
iatm8701 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Newbie from Scotland

Your M6 and M3 are not fast cars. My dog shit build-quality Tesla gaps both of them from a standing start.

125cc to 650cc for me was a huge leap but after six months the 650cc didn't excite me as much as it did. It feels like an animal to begin with but you get used to it pretty quickly.

The only time I've felt like I was on the edge was hooning a litre bike.

There's no real fear factor with a 500 - 650cc unless you're fucking hooning it.

EDIT: I ain't no street Rossi, I am a shitebag in the twisties. A 500cc is plenty fun in the twists but it's not going to light your bollocks on fire on a straight.

lol these bloody telsa guys!
I mean for all intents and purposes an M6 at 560-600bhp is a quick car, and you were clever enough to say from a standing start. lol

Anyway I appreciate the rest of your information. What about stability or any other factory I am not aware of? I guess a good example would be a Mercedes A class compared to an S class, an S class will feel more plus, more stable at high speeds etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:25 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think they are fast but then when you get on a litre bike and find out it accelerates like a super/hyper car and you are doing a ton in 2 to 4 seconds and you readjust.

Anyway, back to your point, in my era people went straight from 125 to litre.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going from a 125 to something bigger? I think I felt relief.

People think "there's all that power, I'm gonna accidently slam it into a wall at a hundred miles an hour!" but the reverse is true with a bigger engine: the slow speed control is more likely to be tricky. Of course some bikes/engines/manufacturers are better at this than others, YMMV.

But mainly it's the relief you don't have to wring the throttle like an angry wank to get going.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:
Anyway I appreciate the rest of your information. What about stability or any other factory I am not aware of? I guess a good example would be a Mercedes A class compared to an S class, an S class will feel more plus, more stable at high speeds etc.

In all honesty just get a bike that you like mate, go to some dealers and get a sit on some, maybe get some test rides in too. Find out what feels nicest under your arse and you feel most comfortable on.

Anything between 600 and 900 is going to put a load of smiles on your face and as long as your careful you won't yeet yourself into oblivion. Having jumped on a litre bike, they are quite a bit more than my 650 was but not so dramatically different that I would stay away from them.

Personally I am glad I got a shagged old 650 as my first big bike cuz I've dropped the cunt a couple times and it's been knocked over while parked up by another driver. If I had bought a brand new bike and that happened to it I would be spitting venom but my bike was cheap so I don't really care that much.

EDIT: Forgot to say a benefit of having an old bike when you're a fat cunt is if you race some cunt then it's a lose-lose situation for them. If I beat them they just got beat by a fat cunt on an ancient bike. If they beat me then all they did was beat a fat cunt on an ancient bike. Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 10 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Newbie from Scotland

about 10 years ago i was in the same boat (but without the fast car thing) - I ran a 125 for a year or more and got quite acclimatised to riding motorised two wheels that way.

i had this weird mindset that i somehow concocted - which went like this: I've got to learn to ride well slowly before I can ever ride well fast. I'm really not sure there's much truth in that, but it was kind of my approach to riding. So I used to practice a lot of Mod 1 stuff on my 125s - and was able to do it quite well after a bit, and with markedly foreshortened dimensions as well. I also used to ride into town and tackle traffic and filtering, too. It wasn't like I could ride fast even if i wanted to though! But I do sort of think all that crap helped me to improve - and did translate to bigger bike stuff as well, in some ways.

Anyway, after a year or so, I got a 500 twin and spent 4 or 5 years on that. For the last year or more I was using a lot of its power at certain times when i was out. It was still kind of shit, though. Eventually i got a 900 il4 and gradually began to use what it had to offer. It took me a few years to become comfy about ragging the bastard, but yeah, it was good fun. The earlier slow stuff from the 125 days definitely helped for town work - i rarely dabbed and almost always managed to keep rolling when others had halted. So i was quicker off the line, and more relaxed when filtering tight stuff. I'm not sure there was much pay off when I was up beyond second gear though. The 125 slow focus did help with my green laning on my 4t 250 though. But i don't do trf stuff any more - too knackering, tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 600 feels like limitless power until you ride with a pillion.

A litre bike has limitless power.
Coz there is no space on it to add enough ballast to limit its power.

It's notnthe power of the bike that is the concern its the power of the riders restraint.

Ride like a dick.
Die like a dick.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:

In all honesty just get a bike that you like mate, go to some dealers and get a sit on some, maybe get some test rides in too. Find out what feels nicest under your arse and you feel most comfortable on.

Anything between 600 and 900 is going to put a load of smiles on your face and as long as your careful you won't yeet yourself into oblivion. Having jumped on a litre bike, they are quite a bit more than my 650 was but not so dramatically different that I would stay away from them.

Personally I am glad I got a shagged old 650 as my first big bike cuz I've dropped the cunt a couple times and it's been knocked over while parked up by another driver. If I had bought a brand new bike and that happened to it I would be spitting venom but my bike was cheap so I don't really care that much.

EDIT: Forgot to say a benefit of having an old bike when you're a fat cunt is if you race some cunt then it's a lose-lose situation for them. If I beat them they just got beat by a fat cunt on an ancient bike. If they beat me then all they did was beat a fat cunt on an ancient bike. Laughing

Come now.. iatm8701 seems like a nice man, apart from his misguided expensive German car fetish, and there you go cunting away in your second post to him. I realise it's the shared language of you sporran-bashing Jimmys but please, wait until he's settled in.

PS OP, what's all this talk of stability? do you mean being buffeted by lorries etc.. or something else?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Come now.. iatm8701 seems like a nice man, apart from his misguided expensive German car fetish, and there you go cunting away in your second post to him. I realise it's the shared language of you sporran-bashing Jimmys but please, wait until he's settled in.

Laughing I always find it funny how it's not a word much used south of the border, you know it can be a term of endearment up here too? Like if there was someone you liked and were asked about them you'd say "Ah Tam? Aye, he's a good cunt".

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I enjoyed riding more as the 125 seem to tire me out from the constant wide open throttle it needed to get going and the horrid vibrations at top speed. At first even my 650 felt like a ton of power but then it just kinda becomes normal.

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:47 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks
Newbie from Scotland

I did about 18 months on a 125, including doing mod 1&2, before getting A license through DAS.

Yes 125's are dog slow and in this country at least are generally looked down on, but I guess I'm a bit of a weirdo and actually like riding mine and have kept it for commuting and errands etc.

The school bike I did my DAS on (Suzuki Bandit) felt very different to my 125 but in a good way, and yes hugely faster but also very easy to ride and not at all lairy unless you tried to.

At national/dual carriageway speed you really notice that the bigger bikes will feel much more stable and comfortable. With a 125 unless you've got a YZF or MT125 you're basically doomed to sit in the left hand lane with the trucks and codgers with hats on. I've been told that 125's are more dangerous as you cannot accelerate out of a dodgy situation but on the other hand they also make it harder to accelerate into a dodgy situation!

Apart from the 'parking space to parking space push test', I also found the bigger bike much easier to do mod 1 on, especially the swerve test at the end.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Moving from a 125cc to 500cc+ Reply with quote

Laughing I always find it funny how it's not a word much used south of the border, you know it can be a term of endearment up here too? Like if there was someone you liked and were asked about them you'd say "Ah Tam? Aye, he's a good cunt".

Ah, us east country folk tend just to use 'old boy' in a similar manner..

such as

'He's a good old boy'

and my personal favourite

'Nah, he's just a young old boy'

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 11 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to test ride as many bikes as you can.

heavy/tall bikes can be a bit of an ordeal at slow speeds but feel fine on the move.

different riding positions of bikes can affect your comfort/fun too.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:27 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

iatm8701 wrote:

I mean for all intents and purposes an M6 at 560-600bhp is a quick car, .

How cute. Dude in the M5 yesterday thought his car was quick too. He looked cute in the mirror as my Z1000R left him at the lights.
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You think they are fast but then when you get on a litre bike and find out it accelerates like a super/hyper car and you are doing a ton in 2 to 4 seconds and you readjust.

This!

600bhp in what? 2 ton of car. My little Zed is not the most powerful 1L bike out there but still pushes close to 150bhp in 225KG of bike, I'll let you do the maths for BHP per ton. And many 600's will leave the car behind at the lights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:
600bhp in what? 2 ton of car. My little Zed is not the most powerful 1L bike out there but still pushes close to 150bhp in 225KG of bike, I'll let you do the maths for BHP per ton. And many 600's will leave the car behind at the lights.

I leave plenty AMGs, M cars, Porches, etc dead at the lights in a 2 ton electric car that only has 505 hp (377 kW) on paper. The Tesla will slap anything that isn't a motorcycle, a faster Tesla or a true super/ hypercar from a standing start at the lights. Unfortunately it becomes a gutless pig once you get to about a ton then the petrol car takes over.

I've slapped many a merc and bimmer on my shagged out old ER6F too.

Don't think there's any cars out there that will do you on your Zed other than a true hypercar with a sub 3 second 0-60. Not many of them around Laughing I would be way too shite bag to launch a litre bike from a standing start as I would absolutely loop the bike. I am a shite rider not gonna lie Embarassed

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:59 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how people with cars think they accelerate fast....

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:07 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R1200GS is a boat.
It will still shit on a M3 lol.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there's any cars out there that will do you on your Zed other than a true hypercar with a sub 3 second 0-60.

According to the paperwork she'll hit 60 in 2.5 seconds. I know she'll hit 64 in 1st in about 4 seconds because I have managed that much

Not many of them around Laughing I would be way too shite bag to launch a litre bike from a standing start as I would absolutely loop the bike. I am a shite rider not gonna lie Embarassed

It's good fun, the scary part is keeping the front wheel down. Gotta really tease the clutch out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:27 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strumpet gets to 60 in about 3 seconds.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

suddenly this thread has morphed into schoolboy willy waving Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 12 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not willy waving, it's more like the car driver is a toddler swearing and all the adults laughing and thinking its cute of him.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:38 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a Street Triple 675 and i have never felt it was not exciting enough (and i have had it 4 years). So i don't agree that you need a litre bike to enjoy yourself.

I run out of talent before the bike runs out of capability. All a litre bike will do is provide more pts and bans.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:44 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did anyone say you have to have a litre bike to have fun.

What we actually said was we thought it cute that he though Beemers were fast.

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:13 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angry scotsman said "The only time I've felt like I was on the edge was hooning a litre bike."
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2