Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

if you want a clock for the bike...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

this solar powered, waterproof Casio watch is on offer for £32 delivered at the mo.
i have a similar watch strapped to my top yolk.
would also make a decent wrist watch.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/casio-aqs810w1avef-classic-sports-style-mens-black-resin-strap-watch/p/V-8765265
https://i.imgur.com/qyF4BlC.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:44 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the ordinary ones are about six fiddy. Mine has been on the bike five years now and still on its original battery. So the solar one has to last over 25 years to justify the extra cost. That would be based on replacing the entire watch, not just fitting a new battery when it goes flat.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc-Q91kKY-7RC2OEgdMkQdD2XcV7ELEct1cS340ktMmQV9C7fZH2Li5oJQqeUtKj6U-aIYqajO8oDdzHgEGYGpKteXDlrvP_KakrtTcRa10278YhJlncEZ_clGssrKLFYfaovOfhGAfFcJGfkQ4I9zhO=w1160-h870-s-no

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

seemed like a good deal for a solar casio.
i like solar watches myself rather than normal battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:07 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
seemed like a good deal for a solar casio.
i like solar watches myself rather than normal battery.

Although I can't ever recall having kept a normal casio digital watch for long enough for the battery to go flat, so you have to wonder if it's ACTUALLY solar powered? Although I suppose an analogue one will munch through power much more quickly.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1986 I bought a cheap solar powered Casio scientific calculator for my college work. We had a man at work who could get any Casio product as long as you promised not to send off the warranty card, they all came out the back doors of a warehouse somewhere. I bought a few extra and sold them to various lecturers for a small profit.

I am still using it now in 2023 for estimates etc. It is held together with blue gaffer tape though. My gaffer taped calculator reckons that is 37 years of near daily use.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately every normal battery watch ive owned has broken just outside of the warranty, i dont know if its just bad luck or i have some weird electro/magnetic stuff going on in my wrists like an X-man Laughing

i switched to a Citizen ecodrive and its still going strong about 2 decades later. my dads wears it now. i wear an automatic.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Or the ordinary ones are about six fiddy. Mine has been on the bike five years now and still on its original battery. So the solar one has to last over 25 years to justify the extra cost. That would be based on replacing the entire watch, not just fitting a new battery when it goes flat.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc-Q91kKY-7RC2OEgdMkQdD2XcV7ELEct1cS340ktMmQV9C7fZH2Li5oJQqeUtKj6U-aIYqajO8oDdzHgEGYGpKteXDlrvP_KakrtTcRa10278YhJlncEZ_clGssrKLFYfaovOfhGAfFcJGfkQ4I9zhO=w1160-h870-s-no

Is that a Garmin piece box?

Cool

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
unfortunately every normal battery watch ive owned has broken just outside of the warranty, i dont know if its just bad luck or i have some weird electro/magnetic stuff going on in my wrists like an X-man Laughing

i switched to a Citizen ecodrive and its still going strong about 2 decades later. my dads wears it now. i wear an automatic.

I read somewhere that shaking a battery driven watch can damage it.
So don't wear your watch on your wanking arm.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:27 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Cool

Pooratech.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

thanks for the tip. do you think it will invalidate the warranty?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Cool

that made me and the wench both laugh aloud Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:41 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I'm ambi-sinister, proficient at wanking with either hand.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
MCN wrote:

Aye, but you take forever coz you can't see what time it is half the time.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

aye Nobby, youre a complete wanker alright Mr. Green

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:30 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

aye Nobby, youre a complete wanker alright Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E744JMDdWPc

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 13 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
this solar powered, waterproof Casio watch is on offer for £32 delivered at the mo.

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/casio-aqs810w1avef-classic-sports-style-mens-black-resin-strap-watch/p/V-8765265
https://i.imgur.com/qyF4BlC.jpg

I had one of those. Lost its water seal after about a year and ended up full of condensation. If it can’t handle a shower, it can’t handle a bike. Wouldn’t recommend.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:09 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I got mine glued to a cheap leather key fob. Used a hot glue gun. When the watch craps out, it comes off and a new one glued on. Works a treat.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53044164731_b3932a3b34.jpg

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:54 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I had one of those. Lost its water seal after about a year and ended up full of condensation. If it can’t handle a shower, it can’t handle a bike. Wouldn’t recommend.

thats disapointing to know. i thought Casio tough solar watches had a reputation for being good beaters. Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casio makes some underrated stuff. I had one of those F91 like Stinkwheels for my engineroom watch and it soldiered on for years and years of abuse.

Great watches for peanuts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Casio makes some underrated stuff. I had one of those F91 like Stinkwheels for my engineroom watch and it soldiered on for years and years of abuse.

Great watches for peanuts.

When Putin and Suk Sum Kok launch their nuclear arse-nils into mid orbit, on a bold trajectory for Washington DC, after the dust settles, cockroaches, Syrian asylum seekers and casio watches will be the only survivors.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

I got mine glued to a cheap leather key fob. Used a hot glue gun. When the watch craps out, it comes off and a new one glued on. Works a treat.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53044164731_b3932a3b34.jpg

thats a good idea. eliminates the chance of it getting stolen off the bike Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:41 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a £10 casio be stolen over the bike itself?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why would a £10 casio be stolen over the bike itself?

some people steal things just because they are there Nobby.
i would have thought a man of your worldly experience would have noticed this by now.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more a case that I would rather secure the bike than piss about making sure the cheap as chips watch was safe.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 14 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: if you want a clock for the bike... Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

I just bought a posh bike, with a clock display on the dash. Even easier Thumbs Up
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2