Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

older numberplate

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:43 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: older numberplate Reply with quote

I'm looking for an older numberplate...not historic.
brief: my bike which I am restoring was made in 1986...the current numberplate is 9x6.5
the 6.5 bit is important, as theres a small slot/recess between brake light (top) and numberplate light (bottom) that the plate slides into before getting its two bolts to hold it in place.

so a smaller plate would work, but not higher than 6.5 inches. Unfortunately, the plate that came with the bike is degraded enough to warrant a replacement.
Ive spent today going over fonts and the law on post-2001 made plates, and I understand that if the plate was made prior to 2001 it is still legal and so on.

So, really, I'm hoping to find a website that just so happens to have my exact combinations of digits in stock (cough cough) in a format used when they made this plate in the mid-80's and for some reason couldnt sell it so its just sitting there waiting for 2023-me to buy it.

cough cough.

I can find car plates like this...but alas...bike plate less likely.
its 7 digits, no 1's...but I would ideally like it to be the size and shape as used in the period it was built, so it fits properly into the recess.

Who's the preferred numberplate site for bikes that isnt doing the new font...that may be able to assist?

(I probably dont want 7x5...I want something like I already have if possible)

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:47 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

we use Hills numberplates at work, and they can make pretty much anything in any size, I would give them a call

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:58 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of numberplate makers doing all sorts of sizes on eBay e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174923264017

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Easy-X...I managed to do a self-help thing after posting the thread here, so apologies that it was easier to find than I initially thought. All the ebay sellers wants physical copies of v5 and identity which is clearly a legal thing and probably a good thing, however I'm sitting slightly uncomfortable sending these types of docs to mr unknown...

Its something I'll have to weight up and internalise I think if I can find someone local.
Suprisingly, Halfords do offer a motorcycle plate service so I may pop into the shop and talk it over...on the assumption I can show them the documents there and then and get this 9x6.5" size made up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:58 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halfords are an arse about documents and I'll be surprised if they will do 9*6.5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
thanks Easy-X...I managed to do a self-help thing after posting the thread here, so apologies that it was easier to find than I initially thought. All the ebay sellers wants physical copies of v5 and identity which is clearly a legal thing and probably a good thing, however I'm sitting slightly uncomfortable sending these types of docs to mr unknown...

Its something I'll have to weight up and internalise I think if I can find someone local.
Suprisingly, Halfords do offer a motorcycle plate service so I may pop into the shop and talk it over...on the assumption I can show them the documents there and then and get this 9x6.5" size made up.

Go with someone with decent feedback. If you hit any problems, e.g. "I think someone's cloned my plate!" then you can point the police at the last people you shared the V5 with.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:15 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALL places will require docs, its a legal requirement, they will likely take copies of the documents, for inspection without notice by police and/or trading standards, in my 18 years in the motor trade I have had inspections twice

I would be very surprised if Halfords make bike plates on site, they will probably order from somewhere like Hills

Last edited by BRUN on 11:18 - 24 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong. I buy new number plates regularly, having a couple of vanity registration numbers one of which has been
on several different vehicles over the years. Online sellers do indeed ask for ID documents for UK standard plates but
they have no choice because of the law. If you were to search 'show plates' or indeed "Reflective Outdoor Waterproof
Sign - Personalised"
on ebay you'd have no such issue. Wink Send this seller a message before you go to wanky Halfrauds.
I reckon they will be able to make you a personalised reflective outdoor waterproof sign exactly to your specification
and will require no docs to do so, they'll be able to make it exactly like a UK numberplate, BSAU stamp and all if you're
that bothered about such things. Only to suit your size requirements. Message the guy and tell him exactly what you
want with dimensions and I reckon you'll be fine. The rear of these reflective outdoor waterproof signs Liar is black as
well so don't immediately look caked up with a stripe of chain drippings, again if you're bothered by such stuff.

I have had plates made at Halfords in the past and they did indeed have self adhesive letters to stick to blank
plates and made you one while you waited using some gizmo to space the letters. But after paying about £40 for
a pair for a souped up Skoda I had years ago, took him about 30 minutes to make the pair and the letters were
still a bit wonky. I sought out better quality manufactured personalised reflective outdoor waterproof signs instead which
worked out less expensive than Halfords, were straight, black backed (which always look better on a bike) and
even came with some handy black and yellow nuts and bolts for hanging your personalised reflective outdoor
waterproof signs on a wall, door or possibly motor vehicle.

Last edited by grr666 on 11:45 - 24 Jul 2023; edited 2 times in total

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:20 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Wrong. I buy new number plates regularly, having a couple of vanity registration numbers one of which has been
on several different vehicles over the years. Online sellers do indeed ask for ID documents for UK standard plates but
they have no choice because of the law. If you were to search 'show plates' or indeed "Reflective Outdoor Waterproof
Sign - Personalised"
on ebay you'd have no such issue. Wink Send this seller a message before you go to wanky Halfrauds.
I reckon they will be able to make you a personalised reflective outdoor waterproof sign exactly to your specification
and will require no docs to do so.

in which case what your buying is most likely not a road legal number plate, unlikely to attract attention but something to consider

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about actual number plates? These are reflective outdoor waterproof signs. Laughing I know they aren't
strictly legit but can be easily manufactured to look exactly like the legit ones do. If you ask for a BSAU stamp he'll do
one, it's only a sign after all. If you specify a motto to go under your reg number instead of "Suzuki POWAAAAAAAR"
"Old School Cool" or similar I recommend "Halfords.co.uk BSAU 145d" as your motto. Sufficient to shut up 99.9%
of old bill if you're bothered by them. I have had *cough* signs *cough* made up with all the MOT passable
markings which are indistinguishable from a real UK standard number plate but without any of that pesky documents
nonsense. Normally arrive in a couple of days too. Bought at least a half dozen times off of this bloke over the years.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Who said anything about actual number plates? These are reflective outdoor waterproof signs. Laughing I know they aren't
strictly legit but can be easily manufactured to look exactly like the legit ones do. If you ask for a BSAU stamp he'll do
one, it's only a sign after all. If you specify a motto to go under your reg number instead of "Suzuki POWAAAAAAAR"
"Old School Cool" or similar I recommend "Halfords.co.uk BSAU 145d" as your motto. Sufficient to shut up 99.9%
of old bill if you're bothered by them. I have had *cough* signs *cough* made up with all the MOT passable
markings which are indistinguishable from a real UK standard number plate but without any of that pesky documents
nonsense. Normally arrive in a couple of days too. Bought at least a half dozen times off of this bloke over the years.

They're not even part of the MOT so I wouldn't be too worried about having them anyway.

You do not need to check:
the supplier’s name
postcode
BS number
logos or emblems if they are outside the minimum margin around the registration number

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/0-identification-of-the-vehicle

Also worth noting the actual letter sizing doesn't need to be measured, nor the size of the plate they're on - it's only a fail if the letters are obviously too small.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:09 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know. I can have "Shed Queen" as my motto again. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Garage Queen sounds much posher!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:41 - 24 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

in which case what your buying is most likely not a road legal number plate, unlikely to attract attention but something to consider

What he is buying a a historic reflective sign. By definition is isn't a numberplate because it doesn't comform to current regulations for manufacture of numberplates.

However, when the bike was new it would have done and if it was fitted to the bike before the regs changed, it would still be legal for it to be on the bike now.

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I also don't think it's illegal to have or fit a non-conforming numberplate. It's illegal to make one and it's illegal to display one that doesn't conform to the regs at the time of manufacture. So the only illegal thing would be the person making it selling it to you as a numberplate.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
grr666 wrote:

Garage Queen sounds much posher!

No garage here unfortunately. It's a good shed but it'll never be a garage. Would have built one
but the plot of land here wouldn't accommodate one. Neighbours either side have a garage though.... Mad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:07 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
BRUN wrote:

What he is buying a a historic reflective sign. By definition is isn't a numberplate because it doesn't comform to current regulations for manufacture of numberplates.

However, when the bike was new it would have done and if it was fitted to the bike before the regs changed, it would still be legal for it to be on the bike now.

I'm not absolutely certain about this but I also don't think it's illegal to have or fit a non-conforming numberplate. It's illegal to make one and it's illegal to display one that doesn't conform to the regs at the time of manufacture. So the only illegal thing would be the person making it selling it to you as a numberplate.

I got a 'less than perfect 'modern day' plate made for my trailer.
The plate maker gets an out by stating that they made a 'show' plate. (For display on a vehicle at a show.)
What the customer does with it is not the maker's business.

That's what the bike garage owner explained to me.

The Traffic PoPo were looking at the trailer at Southwaite Services one fine evening and never commented on the wee plate.
I think if the plate is one of those 'looks like hand written with a Magic Marker' style, then it's taking the piss and it might create some fuss with Traffic Cops.
Traffic cops said, 'if its looks confusing to them then it looks confusing to cameras and that's where the rub is for them'.

(Im certai that people who fit those plates are usually doing something more illegal, therefore the PoPo always pull them over. Laughing )

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:47 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's police Scotland who I have personally seen stopping every motorbike that went past and measuring its numberplate before today.

They also gave my mate a ticket because his plate was "too small" but it's actually one of the older A 123 BCD format ones that had both two rather than three digits and narrow letters/numbers (some digits are narrower than others and his has a J and a 1 in it). The size of the plate is actually determined by the spaces between and around the letters, not the outside dimensions of the plate.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the letters are a regulation size but not the actual plate dimensions.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:59 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're made of money and get a plate that's got a single letter and a single number, it only has to be about 3" wide.

I think the smallest legal plate would be J1.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting ..

I've got some shonky old plates that were on my XJ (1984 reg) and GT (1976 reg) bikes when I got them. NO clue if they are legit or not.

Is there a guide to Age vs plate size anywhere thsta and easy-ish read?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:08 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6 digit reg on my bike, that knocks a couple of inches off of the plate size by default and you can still
have full size letters and spacings. The 4 character line of a standard vehicle reg on the top half is what makes it
have to be so wide.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Interesting ..

I've got some shonky old plates that were on my XJ (1984 reg) and GT (1976 reg) bikes when I got them. NO clue if they are legit or not.

Is there a guide to Age vs plate size anywhere thsta and easy-ish read?

This says post 2001 regulation char sizes are smaller than pre-2001 and pre 1973 Thinking

https://www.bikesure.co.uk/bikesureblog/2020/10/motorcycle-number-plates-law

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:29 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

small update: path of least resistance chosen.
I've worked out I can fit 9 x7 legal numberplate by moving the rear reflector onto a lowering bracket. Keeps plod happy, makes me happy.
If Mr Anorak notices my rear reflector is 0.5inch lower than OEM then I will just shake my head.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
ALL places will require docs, its a legal requirement, they will likely take copies of the documents, for inspection without notice by police and/or trading standards, in my 18 years in the motor trade I have had inspections twice

I would be very surprised if Halfords make bike plates on site, they will probably order from somewhere like Hills

Plate makers are 'spozed' to record vehicle documents but in real life some makers don't.

Plates also must have the makers name but again, some don't.

It's an effort by dvla to thwart crime. But again criminals don't care for rules.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:35 - 17 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my reflective sign came in the post today and it fits really well...so happy. Thanks all.

I'm trying to book in an MOT for next week or the one after, hashtag excited
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1