Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Classic Bike Tyres

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:53 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Classic Bike Tyres Reply with quote

Hello BCF,

My apologies if this has been covered, I don't get any results using the search bar but it could be an issue on my end (I'm using a phone with Brave browser).

My BSA C15 has the ubiquitous Avon Speedmaster/Safety Mileage combination fitted. Although she's an old lady with only ~15hp she's a flickable little thing and a nicer pair of boots may make cornering more fun. After all, that's where the fun needs to happen when an L plated 125 can keep up with me in a straight line. I'm not after miracles obviously, but thought I'd have a look to see if there are other options available. I've not had much success finding owt; Continental do the 'ContiClassicAttack' radial but not in 17" as far as I can tell.
Does anyone know of anything that may work?

The Avons are the original 3.25 x 17 size for reference.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your wasting your time
you have vintage 50's era bike with old suspension and brakes and want it to compete with modern bikes on twistys?

Good money after bad IMO
It's vintage commuter, enjoy it for that and ride it like one.
I doubt radial tyres will make it significantly sporty

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:14 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

do pirelli phantom sportscomp come in your size, or michelin road classic

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have thought the current go to tyre for this is the ubiquitous ME22 Metzeler.. what's on my GT 250.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:53 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look on https://www.twotyres.co.uk/

they seem to do a lot of classic/retro styles

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I think your wasting your time
you have vintage 50's era bike with old suspension and brakes and want it to compete with modern bikes on twistys?

Good money after bad IMO
It's vintage commuter, enjoy it for that and ride it like one.
I doubt radial tyres will make it significantly sporty

No, not competing with anyone. I usually ride alone and have had/will have more modern machinery so not looking to make the BSA something it isn't. It's purely to get the most out of the bike when I'm out having fun.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BRUN"]do pirelli phantom sportscomp come in your size, or michelin road classic[/quote

I will look into these, thanks.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
I should have thought the current go to tyre for this is the ubiquitous ME22 Metzeler.. what's on my GT 250.

I'll check those out, thank you.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
have a look on https://www.twotyres.co.uk/

they seem to do a lot of classic/retro styles

I'll have a look there, appreciate it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:07 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Avon roadriders on my tuned Enfield Bullet. A thoroughly modern tyre available in all the oddball sizes.

That said, the newer MK2 speedmasters and safety mileage are plenty grippy, I used to run out of ground clearance before grip when I was running those.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have Avon roadriders on my tuned Enfield Bullet. A thoroughly modern tyre available in all the oddball sizes.

That said, the newer MK2 speedmasters and safety mileage are plenty grippy, I used to run out of ground clearance before grip when I was running those.

I think it may be the square-ish rear profile coupled with the rounded, ribbed (oo-er) front. They may well have the ability to corner better than I'm allowing them too, they just don't 'feel' like they want to. It's most likely a riding style adjustment that needs to be made rather than a tyre adjustment, I will give that a chance to happen before buying new tyres as there is plenty of life left in the current set.
It's possible that even if a different tyre is the correct diameter I may have clearance issues with regards width as there's not much room to play with chain/swinging arm-wise.

Some food for thought in the responses here which is appreciated.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:03 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure they are the Mk2 speedmaster and safety mileage, not the Mk1 which would be both ancient and horrible.

Don't over-inflate them, the safety mileage works in a large part by flexing of the sidewall and maintains a pretty large contact patch. If you over-inflate them, they'd go up onto the corner of the tread when cornering which is unpleasant. My Enfield manual has them at 26psi front 28psi rear

There will be plenty of clearance for roadriders, the AM26 race compound version is the control tyre for classic racing. They are pretty much designed for fitting to old Brit bikes. My Bullets have a very narrow swingarm but I can still squeeze a 4.00 x 19 trials tyre in there (admittedly it rubs the chainguard slightly when first fitted).

They still make Dunlop TT100s too but I don't think they do a 17" version.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:32 - 26 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Make sure they are the Mk2 speedmaster and safety mileage, not the Mk1 which would be both ancient and horrible.

Don't over-inflate them, the safety mileage works in a large part by flexing of the sidewall and maintains a pretty large contact patch. If you over-inflate them, they'd go up onto the corner of the tread when cornering which is unpleasant. My Enfield manual has them at 26psi front 28psi rear

There will be plenty of clearance for roadriders, the AM26 race compound version is the control tyre for classic racing. They are pretty much designed for fitting to old Brit bikes. My Bullets have a very narrow swingarm but I can still squeeze a 4.00 x 19 trials tyre in there (admittedly it rubs the chainguard slightly when first fitted).

Interesting point about inflation pressure. I found some period literature that recommended 16psi front and 22psi rear, gradually increasing depending on how much the rider weighed over 140lbs. My 175lbs frame only added a couple of psi to the recommended figures and the tyres felt underinflated. The caveats here of course being that the literature was based on the tyres available at the time of writing and my riding experience hadn't yet included old British iron running on 'classic' style tyres.
My experimentation ended up with me running 30psi front and rear so it's entirely possible I've got them pumped too firm based on your advice. Although the pressures for your Enfield aren't far off that she's a heavier bike I imagine, they certainly look more 'full size' than the tiddler C15.

*Edit to add that they are indeed both the MK2 versions of each tyre, I just went to double check.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:37 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

are those still old tech tyres, or are they modern rubber but with the old school look ?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I got given a part worn some time ago which I've been itching to put on one of my bikes to see what they're like.

As for me though, I just buy really cheap tyres- awina, mitas, cheng shin, Duro, Vee Rubber, Kings, Kenda. Although Mitas and Heidenau have gone far too expensive.

I do like my Roadriver AM26 though.. Well over 20,000 miles on the front each time, and still feels good- and keeps the profile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:37 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

are those still old tech tyres, or are they modern rubber but with the old school look ?

Old tech in that they are still bias belt but modern compound.

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the closest the Metzler ME22 gets size-wise is 3.00 x 17, going narrower wasn't really desired but then again .25" isn't a huge amount. A very cheap tyre that too.
The TT100 doesn't seem to come in compatible sizes, unless I can squeeze a 120mm width on there and run two fronts, not sure Dunlop would think this a good idea though.

I'll get my 'arris in gear and finish painting the frame bits so it can be bolted back together with the new bits that arrived the other day, get it out riding and work out if an adjustment to the big daft part on top will suffice in making improvements.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:19 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fancy the roadriders then? They are excellent tyres and come in all the sizes. I had them fitted on my last run to the Picos in Spain and was rubbing the footpeg rubbers on the mountain switchbacks. Also fine in the wet with standing water on the road. Overtook SO many BMW GS riders.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc_SB51wj0fOE_yWAxiBIVDlwrNL_9euyrH0tVCJvD8S4Fbvme4pSOOOlj-0mnNcD6Kn7xjz4JKBGzZo47fFgWE1UD3zRaABmKbgCyJzMJkZgc5VWsnblZqcRo6riEX1SE1r4JH1qOlosgjQQfsLxRZh=w1160-h870-s-no

RoamingStar
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Don't fancy the roadriders then? They are excellent tyres and come in all the sizes. I had them fitted on my last run to the Picos in Spain and was rubbing the footpeg rubbers on the mountain switchbacks. Also fine in the wet with standing water on the road. Overtook SO many BMW GS riders.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc_SB51wj0fOE_yWAxiBIVDlwrNL_9euyrH0tVCJvD8S4Fbvme4pSOOOlj-0mnNcD6Kn7xjz4JKBGzZo47fFgWE1UD3zRaABmKbgCyJzMJkZgc5VWsnblZqcRo6riEX1SE1r4JH1qOlosgjQQfsLxRZh=w1160-h870-s-no

Yes, I do. It looks like the most viable option and is a great looking tyre with the rounded profile on the back I'm accustomed to. Once the bike is back together I'll be measuring to see how that extra .75" width of the 100 section will fare once fitted, as you say though it's likely not going to be an issue.
I won't be scaring any big Beemers I wouldn't have thought but I bet the old girl will be a laugh on the B-roads with those boots on.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Overtook SO many BMW GS riders.

Was that all about the tyres though ... Neutral

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 27 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoamingStar wrote:
It seems the closest the Metzler ME22 gets size-wise is 3.00 x 17..

Oh yeah, weird. Mine must be 18" rims

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1