Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another monstrosity of an electric bike... Thanks Erik

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Another monstrosity of an electric bike... Thanks Erik Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/the-9995-fuell-fllow-electric-motorcycle-is-available-for-pre-order-today-220016821.html

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/fX35s9RHMVlpLq8.8S9uMQ--~B/Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTU1Mzt3PTg3NTthcHBpZD15dGFjaHlvbg--/https://media-mbst-pub-ue1.s3.amazonaws.com/creatr-uploaded-images/2023-07/59b35ee0-2c74-11ee-b9fb-f288b351226d.cf.webp

Yeah it's cheap, but there's limits Sick

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The battery pack, rear wheel motor, and fast charging socket can all be upgraded to your preferences, and the software will receive regular upgrades, to match the latest advancements and push the boundaries even further.

From the website.
Cant wait to live in a future where we have to upgrade our bikes every year with the latest technology like you would a phone Laughing I guess it's one way to admit that the technology just isn't ready yet.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bro! Did you you see the changelog in the latest Yamaha patch?"

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another electric bike with no fairing. The rider is the largest aerodynamic barrier to efficient running. Speed squared law means the faster the bike the bigger a problem it is. The solution is to direct the airflow around the rider with a fairing.

Almost none of the electric bikes seem to have a fairing.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yet another electric bike with no fairing. The rider is the largest aerodynamic barrier to efficient running. Speed squared law means the faster the bike the bigger a problem it is. The solution is to direct the airflow around the rider with a fairing.

Almost none of the electric bikes seem to have a fairing.

They are pretty much all inner city commuter bikes though so surely a fairing isn't going to have much effect at 30mph?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

They are pretty much all inner city commuter bikes though so surely a fairing isn't going to have much effect at 30mph?

From the research they did on motovelos, 15mph is where rider aerodynamics start to make a significant impact on progress.

Back when they had a 50cc class in the IOM TT, they all had aluminium full fairings.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really by Buell is it? A Fuell by Buell. Sick

How have the mighty fallen.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Quote:
The battery pack, rear wheel motor, and fast charging socket can all be upgraded to your preferences, and the software will receive regular upgrades, to match the latest advancements and push the boundaries even further.

From the website.
Cant wait to live in a future where we have to upgrade our bikes every year with the latest technology like you would a phone Laughing I guess it's one way to admit that the technology just isn't ready yet.

At a small cost Sir, it's well worth it for version 1.1 that gives you .......

Bet they are tking their cue from Tesla.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another city bike, another one with pretendy proper motorcycle looks- faux radiator panel, faux underslung exhaust. I guess a faux tank is still handy to brace against, but shouldn’t electrification offer new aesthetic opportunities, or have bikes reached a perfect chassis design? And why make it ugly?

Still a fuell and his money… Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"150 miles of city range on a full charge"

What's city range? Going from stop light to stop light? And which city is 150 (or 75) miles across?

It's not a replacement for the motorcycle.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
"150 miles of city range on a full charge"

What's city range? Going from stop light to stop light? And which city is 150 (or 75) miles across?

It's not a replacement for the motorcycle.

I was pondering the whole range thing yesterday as I drove 400 miles to Donegal yesterday on just over 1/2 tank (60 mpg) in my Seat Leon 1.0. Electric vehicle would have been a complete arse*, unfortunately.

*Range anxiety AND am I going to make ferry check in anxiety, AND where the fuck can i charge my car in the Irish countryside anxiety.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanic friends are of the opinion unless the fire-you-can't-put-out risks are addressed you won't be able to take electric vehicles on a ferry or chunnel and a lot of garages won't want to work on them especially if they had even a minor crash.
Result will be sky high premiums.

Last edited by doggone on 21:14 - 29 Jul 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mileage/range thing rings alarm bells because that's clearly marketing BS. A bit Tesla style - I don't really trust Buell on this one.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/elon-musk-had-tesla-overstate-its-battery-range-tesla-then-canceled-related-service-appointments/ar-AA1esjYR

The Fuell bike is cheaper than other electric bikes on the market, and at the same time the battery is replaceable, ostensibly so that when you run out of range, you can stop at a station and swap the battery. Why would a service station stock a particular type of swappable battery, ready-charged? The service station would have to price in the cost of renewing its stock as well, as the batteries wear out. And ownership of the battery rests with whom? In which case the majority of the bike's value rests with [...], so what does $11K buy you? Let's say it's bought by people who only want to do a circle around their home area. What I suspect is that they will not escape having to replace these types of batteries anyway due to finite battery life. And it only makes sense when they want to sell it on, they will put a fresh battery in from the local service station.

Nah, this model doesn't make sense in the way it's presented there. What's to stop anyone getting a motor, a frame, and then popping down to the service station and hiring/buying a battery just like a renewable propane cylinder, which they don't have to return for n years as they keep charging it at home? So many questions...

On the safety side, I agree it only takes a few major incidents before a new regulatory framework is proposed, relegating these to limited leisure use. In an underground car park under an office block, if it catches fire, that's a problem. Insurers won't like it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:00 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about a battery thats swappable like, I don't know, the 12V one that you start your bike with but all the same for every bike?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:22 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would handling be affected if that's an entire hub motor on the back wheel.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, he's trying to engineer out obsolescence by saying the battery can be swappable if you pay a bit more, and the motor can be made removable, too. But the only way this can work his company is if he locks in the batteries and the motors to work only on these specific bikes. Otherwise, you could just buy a battery, and a motor, and have no need for the rest of the bike. Having tied this in with some kind of IP, long lease or subscription, I don't see on what basis any other company would want compatibility with these batteries and motors.

Take, for example, MIDI. In the early 80s, CV triggers were the only means of connecting different electronic instruments. The manufacturers got together and designed a format for cross-compatibility between instruments, so that they could all communicate with each other. This increased the instruments' utility. As a result, they were able to sell this communicability as a product feature with any product that had it. What they didn't do was make the MIDI protocol a trade secret. It was completely open so that anyone could design an instrument to work with another. But what the average Joe couldn't do in his shed was buy these very expensive EEPROMs and make his own MIDI instrument. Some people could do it but they weren't average. Nowadays, cross-compatibility between electronic instruments is a basic requirement, not an added feature.

This is different from an electric bike. If you design in a cross-manufacturer standard for swappable batteries, then anyone in their obsolete electric bike can buy your upgraded battery. Say, for example, someone bought a first-gen Livewire. Then Buell comes up with a better battery, just as that Livewire's battery is clapping out. Does he go back to HD and pay whatever they ask for a new battery or completely new bike, or does he go to Buell and slot in a compatible battery? If he does the latter, HD is not happy. Buell might not be happy either as the battery developer and seller might be, say, Duracell. Same goes for the motor, etc. Then why would anyone want a HD, Buell or Zero when all you need is a basic shell plus the latest motor and battery of the day, to have something top-of-the-line. So it has to be a rigid, locked-in proprietary model.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:32 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swappable batteries aren't going to happen.

Fast charging on cars is currently down to about 15 minutes to 80% on some of the newest models, and that's using a big 80kwh battery. That will continue to improve and become more available - if someone puts in a fast charger now it's going to in the 150-350kw range. A few years back they were 50kw.

If someone sorts out DC fast charging on a bike, even a 50kw charger will fill the small (10-20kwh) battery as quick as the battery can take it. The bottleneck is the tech filtering down to bikes.

Swappable batteries aren't happening for car because fast charging is fast enough. Chargers are expensive enough, battery swap stations would be at least an order of magnitude more expensive and require a standard battery. Even if bikes did go for a standard battery, there won't be enough bikes out there to make swap stations worthwhile.

Electric bike tech is 5-10 years behind cars. I'm not sure if they will break out that delay at all, there aren't enough customers to justify the investment.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
...there won't be enough bikes out there to make swap stations worthwhile.

There are countries outside of the US & Europe Rolling Eyes

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Robby wrote:
...there won't be enough bikes out there to make swap stations worthwhile.

Who will be using small ICE bikes as long as they are available. Not everyone has a magic 2030 cut off date.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:12 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

And it's possible that those countries may get swap stations, like the scheme in Taiwan. That is a setup for quite small, quite shit batteries for scooters where the range is so poor that you need a swap station just to get around the city.

This doesn't scale to something that would work for what people on this forum seem to want - a big bike making 50-150hp, a range of 100-200 miles, and swap stations all over the country so you don't have to wait for a charger.

Those batteries would need to be 10-40kwh - although I think the biggest currently available for a bike is about 20kwh. So that's a ballpark cost of £5k-10k per battery. You want to have at least 10 sat there, so you need £100k of stock waiting to be stolen.

Let's start small with 1000 swap stations dotted around the UK. That's an investment just in the stock of £100 million. Then you need to lease the land, build the swap stations, connect up a hefty power supply, work out security and maintenance, and wait for the customers to appear.

I think it would be a lot cheaper for electric bikes to adopt DC fast charging, and their riders to wait 15 minutes or less.

Before anyone says hydrogen, a kilowatt hour of it will cost 4 times the cost of a kilowatt hour of electricity. The hydrogen hype is just being pushed by oil companies wanting to pivot.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And electric is something other companys are encouraging.

It's all a bunch of lies.

LNG from around the world, shipped in LNG carriers is the absolute cheapest per therm in existance despite what Greenpeace and co say. That won't change for a generation simply because once an LNG supply is drilled, it costs pennies to supply.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:38 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I think it would be a lot cheaper for electric bikes to adopt DC fast charging, and their riders to wait 15 minutes or less.

This is where I'd want more government interference Smile There should be massive encouragement to get people out of cars and onto a vast range of ICE & EV bikes. Two wheeled personal vehicles are about as efficient power-to-weight as you can get therefore you don't need a half a tonne or more of battery therefore it's always the quickest to charge up. If this recent solid state battery stuff takes off bikes would charge up in a few minutes.

A real range > 100 miles @ 70mph and charging in less than 5 mins? Shut up and take my money! Seems like a missed opportunity to me.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fewer bikes on the road - and those which are, powered by petrol - has to be the way forward. Not yet another abortive business venture by Buell or any other startup. Engines are a well-developed technology and nobody enacts new restrictions and laws to deal with the "menace" of the tailpipe emissions or noise of that weird guy who goes for a ride on Sunday, or on a weekday evening ride, on an eccentric conveyance of his choice.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:28 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Another city bike, another one with pretendy proper motorcycle looks- faux radiator panel, faux underslung exhaust. I guess a faux tank is still handy to brace against, but shouldn’t electrification offer new aesthetic opportunities, or have bikes reached a perfect chassis design? And why make it ugly?

Still a fuell and his money… Laughing

Fully faired recumbant would be the way to go if you want maximum efficiency and range. By fully faired I mean enclosed front wheel and ideally closed cockpit.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:31 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Fully faired recumbant would be the way to go if you want maximum efficiency and range. By fully faired I mean enclosed front wheel and ideally closed cockpit.

If only there was a vehicle where the occupant(s) sit in a seat with their legs in front of them whilst fully protected by the weather.....
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2