Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Fully faired recumbant would be the way to go if you want maximum efficiency and range. By fully faired I mean enclosed front wheel and ideally closed cockpit.

If only there was a vehicle where the occupant(s) sit in a seat with their legs in front of them whilst fully protected by the weather.....

I was thinking quasar style. Only better executed.
https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/60670/quasar-01.jpg

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:43 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Swappable batteries aren't going to happen.

already in place i believe in some asian countries, look up Gogoro

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:19 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

This is where I'd want more government interference Smile There should be massive encouragement to get people out of cars and onto a vast range of ICE & EV bikes. Two wheeled personal vehicles are about as efficient power-to-weight as you can get

We both know that isn't going to happen. Motorcycles are quietly discouraged, largely through having a very complicated rider test and licence scheme. To be fair, the official policy goes a step further in terms of efficiency and emissions by recommending walking, cycling and public transport.

Brun - I covered that in my last post in this thread. TL;DR the Gogoro setup is pretty shit. They're only 1.3kwh batteries, which is about enough for 30 miles on a low power scooter.

Bosch currently do a fairly standard drop in motor, controller and battery kit for use in 125cc equivalent bikes. If they scale that up in a few years to be more like 500cc equivalent, with a 20kwh battery and fast charging, a lot of the current opposition will evaporate.

That may also be when the Japanese manufacturers get involved. I assume they're waiting for Toyota to start doing solid state batteries, then licence the technology off them. That would be able to provide my hypothetical 35kw (47hp) motor, 20kwh battery, 200kg bike for under £10k from the dealer around the corner. Unlikely to see that much before 2030 though, seeing as the hyped worldwide launch for the Fuell bike (which has a pretty good spec and price) only sold 350 bikes so far. Even I'm not excited about buying an experimental bike from someone with no dealer network.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
shouldn’t electrification offer new aesthetic opportunities, or have bikes reached a perfect chassis design?

I saw this in the September edition of Bike magazine

https://www.vergemotorcycles.com/gl/verge-motorcycles/

Quote:
Verge TS represents the future of motorcycle design. It challenges the traditional design principles and conventional ways of thinking with the clear goal of designing the world’s best electric motorcycle from the ground up. Not a motorcycle that looks like yesterday, but a motorcycle that feels like the future. The end result of this thinking is the world’s first hubless electric rim motor which is at the core of the whole design.

That’s a bit more like it.

Quote:
In the Verge TS the electric motor is integrated straight into the back wheel. This also means that all of the power is transferred straight to the road. Integrating the motor into the back wheel creates more space in the middle of the bike for the battery pack. This allows for very low weight distribution, making handling the bike feel more nimble and light. With the hubless design we have also been able to remove all moving parts like chains and cogwheels, leading to a beautiful, sleek design.

Well, the back wheel looks nice.

Incidentally the same edition of Bike mag has an interesting piece on “e-fuels” including the political response to them. I’ve previously advocated bio-fuels in preference to electric and hydrogen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Well, the back wheel looks nice.

Agreed, they've managed to make the rest of the bike look surprisingly bland Neutral

curlylegend
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:12 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: EV fire hazards Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Mechanic friends are of the opinion unless the fire-you-can't-put-out risks are addressed you won't be able to take electric vehicles on a ferry or chunnel and a lot of garages won't want to work on them especially if they had even a minor crash.
Result will be sky high premiums.

Norwegian ferry company Havila Krystruten has since last year banned all alternative fuelled cars for safety reasons. Proactima AS, a reputable consulting agency carried out a stringent risk assessment on the carriage of Lithium Ion batteried EV's in particular and came to the conclusion that carrying then on board a ferry constituted a significant hazard to passengers and crew.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:18 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another electric bike monstrosity and theis ones even got pedals. I'm actually not sure if it's meant to be a motorbike or what. Laughing

https://d38ci6i1zrd77t.cloudfront.net/public/thumbnail/854_480/e95182da-8a8c-4098-a65f-b0674ca4b00b.webp

You can run it from your smartphone so alls good. Elon would be proud!!!

The Hyperspd CR5 comes with a dedicated mobile app, allowing you to control your e-bike from the comfort of your smartphone. Manage speed, power output, provide multi-user access, track your e-bike and more — all with just a few taps.

https://prelaunch.com/projects/hyperspd-cr5-hyperspd-cr5-conquer-the-road?utm_source=Prelaunch&utm_medium=Ads&utm_campaign=hyperspd%2FScooters%2FAn5&utm_content=ang3+ad+3&fbclid=IwAR2ZBdL0PN60vVcavFO7_CJqGxqSJSnIXjGpugx5Yb5nodj-sWJWNk8svgE

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:45 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Hyperspd CR5 be used in the rain?
Yes, the Hyperspd CR5 is designed to tackle a variety of weather conditions. Its electrical system, including the battery and motor, are sealed off to prevent water ingress. However, we recommend avoiding riding in heavy rain for safety reasons.

Shocked
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2