Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Please help to choose used bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:19 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

Hello bikers!

Need your opinions guys and ladies, because I'm met with a moral dilemma. My last bike got smashed by a van so need a new bike. The budget is £5000 give or take.

Now here's the problem. I was always fortunate to ride relatively new, modern bikes. My budget puts me way out of that territory.

I know what I'm about to say will sound snobby as fuck, but please hear me out.

The way I'm used to looking at bikes is:

- anything above 5k miles is "heavily used". Anything above 10k miles is a rust bucket.
- same with age - up to 3 years is acceptable, up to 5 is OK, above 10 years should be recycled.
Not to mention that I'm used to nice things - USD forks, ride modes, traction control, cornering ABS etc.
I know some of you have been riding 40+ years without those features and done pure miles. But I started riding in 2017, I feel like if a bike doesn't come with all the things I'm used to, I might just as well mount an engine on a bicycle.
Please comment and advise and hopefully my concerns will be dispersed.
Also please suggest models that you think will be good. The only bikes I will not consider - any Yamaha even if it's the best thing ever, ER6/Ninja650, Honda NC because IMHO it's a grampa bike (effectively a big scooter).

Thank you all!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:22 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck that....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy a new bike for that money but you'd probably be looking at something A2 like a Duke 390. I would suggest a RE Interceptor 650 but as you say, you're a snob Wink

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:46 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to be a very 'PICKY' person and you will not be happy with anything

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:54 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You can buy a new bike for that money but you'd probably be looking at something A2 like a Duke 390. I would suggest a RE Interceptor 650 but as you say, you're a snob Wink

I've take Interceptor for a test ride. I actually have A LOT of respect for the brand. I found it a bit uncomfortable and I didn't like the steering of SuperMeteor.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:00 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:
You appear to be a very 'PICKY' person and you will not be happy with anything

I'm not THAT bad LoL

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:

- anything above 5k miles is "heavily used". Anything above 10k miles is a rust bucket.
- same with age - up to 3 years is acceptable, up to 5 is OK, above 10 years should be recycled.

WTF ?

Troll much?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think 5k miles is "heavily used" then I suggest you ride a bit more and you'll realise that's barely broken in Laughing My 2012 sv650 has 25k on it and it's anything but a rust bucket. I'd say buy a bike without all the fancy traction control and other crap and you'll realise how little you need it.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:27 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
WiseB34R wrote:

WTF ?

Troll much?

No, not a troll, but I see why you would think that.
I explained they way I'm used to seeing things. In all honesty I never bought a bike with more than 1200 miles on it. Not because I don't trust the manufacturer, it's because I don't trust the previous owner. And all my bikes been either new or ex-demo. I had one bike which was owned by a rider before, had only 700 miles on it and it was most troublesome bike ever.
I am very in to technology and I believe that technology should improve lives, not add problems. Usually if my bike has to go to the garage for any reason other than service, I will sell it. I get extremely frustrated when tech fails. Any tech.
I'm not trolling, I'm trying to overcome "used bike anxiety" and asking for some advise and encouragement.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:29 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati multistrada.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
Hello bikers!

Need your opinions guys and ladies, because I'm met with a moral dilemma. My last bike got smashed by a van so need a new bike. The budget is £5000 give or take.

Now here's the problem. I was always fortunate to ride relatively new, modern bikes. My budget puts me way out of that territory.

Not to mention that I'm used to nice things - USD forks, ride modes, traction control, cornering ABS etc.
I know some of you have been riding 40+ years without those features and done pure miles. But I started riding in 2017, I feel like if a bike doesn't come with all the things I'm used to, I might just as well mount an engine on a bicycle.
Also please suggest models that you think will be good. The only bikes I will not consider - any Yamaha even if it's the best thing ever, ER6/Ninja650, Honda NC because IMHO it's a grampa bike (effectively a big scooter).

Thank you all!

TL;DR version:

"Hi guys, here is an impossible set of circumstances to try and overcome because I expect the world while remaining a cheap cunt"

WiseB34R wrote:
SuperMeteor.

Is outside your tiny budget.

WiseB34R wrote:
asking for some encouragement.

I encourage you to fuck off.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:42 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
My last bike

Which was?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:44 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:

I explained they way I'm used to seeing things. In all honesty I never bought a bike with more than 1200 miles on it. Not because I don't trust the manufacturer, it's because I don't trust the previous owner. And all my bikes been either new or ex-demo. I had one bike which was owned by a rider before, had only 700 miles on it and it was most troublesome bike ever.
I am very in to technology and I believe that technology should improve lives, not add problems. Usually if my bike has to go to the garage for any reason other than service, I will sell it. I get extremely frustrated when tech fails. Any tech.
I'm not trolling, I'm trying to overcome "used bike anxiety" and asking for some advise and encouragement.

TLDR: I'm on the autism spectrum and have a meltdown if anything goes even slightly different to my ideal.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:44 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, nothing wrong with an ER6. Highly refined, highly technical engine in a competant handling package. Kawasaki designed a race engine and put it in a commuter bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:45 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ducati multistrada.

Your an evil man.....

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:02 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
WiseB34R wrote:
Hello bikers!

Thank you all!

TL;DR version:

"Hi guys, here is an impossible set of circumstances to try and overcome because I expect the world while remaining a cheap cunt"

WiseB34R wrote:
SuperMeteor.

Is outside your tiny budget.

WiseB34R wrote:
asking for some encouragement.

I encourage you to fuck off.

I encourage you to eat Sturgeon's cunt or suck off Yousaf. But you don't need encouragement - you're on it 24/7 anyway.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

TLDR: I'm on the autism spectrum and have a meltdown if anything goes even slightly different to my ideal.

Sounds reasonable.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:06 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
If you think 5k miles is "heavily used" then I suggest you ride a bit more and you'll realise that's barely broken in Laughing My 2012 sv650 has 25k on it and it's anything but a rust bucket. I'd say buy a bike without all the fancy traction control and other crap and you'll realise how little you need it.

That's impressive really, I bet you look after it like it's your baby.
I had two bikes without rider aids - CB125F and I can't day I was super comfortable breaking hard in a rainy weather.
I also had Indian Scout and again, most of the time you are right i didn't need any aids, but it's wet road conditions when I felt I need them.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:08 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
WiseB34R wrote:
My last bike

Which was?

2022 GSX-S750

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:10 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Anyway, nothing wrong with an ER6. Highly refined, highly technical engine in a competant handling package. Kawasaki designed a race engine and put it in a commuter bike.

I agree, it's a proven high quality motorcycle, I just don't like the looks.

WiseB34R
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:12 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

[quote="Nobby the Bastard"]
WiseB34R wrote:

TLDR: I'm on the autism spectrum and have a meltdown if anything goes even slightly different to my ideal.[/quote

Yes, if I am paying good amount of hard earned money for something and it fails, I do have a breakdown.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
I encourage you to eat Sturgeon's cunt or suck off Yousaf. But you don't need encouragement - you're on it 24/7 anyway.

Your patter is as shite as your budget mate

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you appear to be asking for is for there to be a bike (and not a peasants' barebones retro) for sale somewhere which someone bought new, with cash (not on credit) and then, after running it in, put it up for sale at a a massive, whopping, discount. Can you envision the circumstances in which such a bike may come up for sale at the price you want to pay? I can't.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:22 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll have to be a Friday afternoon special....

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put those criteria into the Autotrader Bikes search criteria. You’re not going to like it judging by the returns within a 25 mile radius of my place. Maybe you’ll be luckier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3