View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting Lexmoto and YBR125s....

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

if riding bikes without rider aides or riding in inclement weather scares you then i suggest going for a more novice friendly machine and gaining some more experience.

what about a Royal Enfield Hunter 350. less than 4 grand new, with a 3 year warranty.
fun bikes to ride according to owners.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm betting Lexmoto and YBR125s....

The USD requirement seems to limit the choice to one bike, a KTM 390 ADVENTURE. I assume it has ABS, rider modes and other potentially fragile electronics the OP will never use except down the pub but fret about as the mileage increases, and anytime he’s unexpectedly caught out in the rain.

https://superbikefactory.co.uk/used-motorcycles/?location=7569&make=260&model=8394
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than ABS I'd say what draws me to motorcycles is the lack of half a ton of useless shit.

I look at my wife's car with it's entertainment console, keyless ignition, brakes you can't bleed without a laptop and then think back on the carb'd Golf Mk2's I used to own Wub I'll admit power steering is nice but I've had a fair few cars without it and survived.

Minimum for me is a disk brake up front (a drum at the back would be fine) a speedo and analogue tacho. Everything else is just fluff.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant beat the smell of a hot carbureted engine Wub

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
Ayrton wrote:
If you think 5k miles is "heavily used" then I suggest you ride a bit more and you'll realise that's barely broken in Laughing My 2012 sv650 has 25k on it and it's anything but a rust bucket. I'd say buy a bike without all the fancy traction control and other crap and you'll realise how little you need it.

That's impressive really, I bet you look after it like it's your baby.
I had two bikes without rider aids - CB125F and I can't day I was super comfortable breaking hard in a rainy weather.
I also had Indian Scout and again, most of the time you are right i didn't need any aids, but it's wet road conditions when I felt I need them.

I look after it but it was on over 20k when I bought it so i cant take all the credit. I think the trick is to buy a bike that's bog standard and hasn't been changed at all. Mine hadn't even had the ugly standard exhaust taken off which sort of told me it wouldn't be a bike with all sorts of hidden changes that I'd have to deal with.

I think you'll struggle to get something with traction control etc for that kind of money and you'll have to pick what feature are really important for you like ABS if you aren't comfortable in the rain. USD forks are nice to have but I think most people cant really tell the difference when riding and they like them purely for the aesthetics.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:31 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
The USD requirement seems to limit the choice to one bike, a KTM 390 ADVENTURE. I assume it has ABS, rider modes and other potentially fragile electronics

It's got riding modes.

Street and offroad. Shocked

OP you need to decide if you're more interested in how the thing looks or if you're more interested in how the thing performs.

USD forks are wanted because of how they look rather than anything to do with how they perform compared to normal forks?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fear, lack of knowledge and inexperience are keeping you away from a lot of enjoyable bikes. But that's not my problem, it's yours.

Maybe use your 5k to get a new bike on finance, probably the only thing that's going to appease your rediculous requirements.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so down on Yamahas? My XSR is a nice, straightforward bike to work on. The service manual is genuinely helpful and everything is easy to service - dropping the coolant or oil is a 5 min job. If you were to push me I'd probably say Hondas are put together a touch better. Suzuki "it is what it is." I haven't touch a modern Kawasaki so I'll hold my tongue there.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 28 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:

WiseB34R wrote:
asking for some encouragement.

I encourage you to fuck off.

I encourage you to eat Sturgeon's cunt or suck off Yousaf. But you don't need encouragement - you're on it 24/7 anyway.[/quote]

Owww! Burner!
Why stop there? don't forget he's a big fat baldie bastard too
and being Scottish probably unemployed/unemployable
lives off drugs, deep fried mars bars and Irn Bru with teeth
like a row of condemned houses.

y'know, that nice friendly banter sorta thing

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP should drink bleach. It’s the only 100% reliable over the counter autism cure.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:51 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test road a GSXS750 a few years ago. The first thing I did was turn off the traction control.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to do burnouts and wheelies on a bike with traction control, wouldn't you say? Takes all the fun out of it. At least the hooligan switch allows you to cut loose from time to time.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been off bikes for ten years and recently come back I had no idea how little a budget like £5k could get you. Bikes I sold nearly 15 years ago for 3k are now that much.

Shame when you have champagne taste on a beer budget though.

I'm just really happy having care free fun on my 20 year old, 30k miles, zero service history 1000cc V-twin that cost me a pittance and has none of the complicated stuff on it. I'll drop it off at the scrappy when they open on Monday.... Laughing

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:39 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Other than ABS I'd say what draws me to motorcycles is the lack of half a ton of useless shit.

I look at my wife's car with it's entertainment console, keyless ignition, brakes you can't bleed without a laptop and then think back on the carb'd Golf Mk2's I used to own Wub I'll admit power steering is nice but I've had a fair few cars without it and survived.

Minimum for me is a disk brake up front (a drum at the back would be fine) a speedo and analogue tacho. Everything else is just fluff.

Completely agree. Thing is that shiny 'useless shit' can be used in marketing to differentiate similar bikes and appeal to the youth. Afraid we are likely to see more and more such fluff added.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:40 - 29 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
OP should drink bleach. It’s the only 100% reliable over the counter autism cure.

I hear from a reliable source, it's a pretty good cure for covid too.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
redeem ouzzer wrote:

I hear from a reliable source, it's a pretty good cure for covid too.

Nope. If your source is the same as my source, to cure Covid with bleach you need to inject it; like with a syringe. Similar sources report you can also inject yourself with horse tranquilizer to cure Covid as well. Haven't tried either, though, so I cannot report on the effectiveness of either treatment with authority. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to self-medicating, especially with needles. YMMV.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:17 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drinking bleach can cure a lot so social ills
it's just getting the arseholes to do it is the problem

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 06:37 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
Hello bikers!

Need your opinions guys and ladies, because I'm met with a moral dilemma. My last bike got smashed by a van so need a new bike. The budget is £5000 give or take.

Now here's the problem. I was always fortunate to ride relatively new, modern bikes. My budget puts me way out of that territory.

I know what I'm about to say will sound snobby as fuck, but please hear me out.

The way I'm used to looking at bikes is:

- anything above 5k miles is "heavily used". Anything above 10k miles is a rust bucket.
- same with age - up to 3 years is acceptable, up to 5 is OK, above 10 years should be recycled.
Not to mention that I'm used to nice things - USD forks, ride modes, traction control, cornering ABS etc.
I know some of you have been riding 40+ years without those features and done pure miles. But I started riding in 2017, I feel like if a bike doesn't come with all the things I'm used to, I might just as well mount an engine on a bicycle.
Please comment and advise and hopefully my concerns will be dispersed.
Also please suggest models that you think will be good. The only bikes I will not consider - any Yamaha even if it's the best thing ever, ER6/Ninja650, Honda NC because IMHO it's a grampa bike (effectively a big scooter).

Thank you all!

My bike is older than I am (and I'm not young), and has 93,000km on the clock...

I don't think you and I would be friends.

You can get a shit new bike for 5k, a good old bike for 5k, or a good new bike for more than 5k. Pick your poison.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Similar sources report you can also inject yourself with horse tranquilizer to cure Covid as well.

From my own research it's not so much Ketamine cures Covid it's just you care a lot less if you got it Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
don't forget he's a big fat baldie bastard too
and being Scottish probably unemployed/unemployable
lives off drugs, deep fried mars bars and Irn Bru with teeth
like a row of condemned houses.

Looks like we've already met you know me so well Laughing

EDIT:

Plugging his dumb arse requirements (<£5,500, <5,000miles, min 400cc and registered between 2020 till now) into Autotrader Bikes and doing it nationwide all he can get is something from Royal Enfield, CF Moto, Benelli, Voge, etc.

I've seen a couple Suzuki SV650's but they are only a couple hundred miles away from being "heavily used" as he put it.

There are no other nice options, if you take away the cc restriction you're looking at MT-03's and KTM Duke 390's coming into possibility. That's it. Fuck all else.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

USD forks are nothing but a pain in the arse for a very marginal theoretical reduction in unsprung weight. Any of my mates with them, even on relatively new bikes, are regularly having to change seals on them after their first ride out in the spring. It's like keeping your milk in the fridge with the lid down then being surprised when it leaks.

Right way up forks are bad enough for leaking at the seals.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

USD forks are about stiffness on turn in rather than unsprung weight (clamped on the stiffest part).

They are a pain in the arse for servicing but so are RWU forks if they are the cartridge type.

For 95% of riders the stiffness is a non factor as they don’t put enough load through the front end to challenge the stiffness of RWU forks.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Please help to choose used bike. Reply with quote

WiseB34R wrote:
2022 GSX-S750

Suzuki gsx s750

Has a traction control, but no IMU, no quickshifter or other electronics to keep up with the competition, the forks are only preload-adjustable suspension, weights as fuck, slower handling.

The guy is spolied with it and does not want any Yamaha that weghts 30 kg less then the said Suzuki, has IMU and quickshifter and handles twice as fast.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Good luck mate. Try Hyosung GT650R it has USD forks and cost £4000 new.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Gsxs750 Reply with quote

Mt-09 all day long. Would've swapped my gsr750 straight out if I wouldn't have wheelied the fucker everywhere.

As for usd forks, I'm sure an engineer once told me that actually that's the best design, but back in the day seals and rubber were far worse. Hence ... forks.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3