Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Selling an imported engine?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 06:07 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Selling an imported engine? Reply with quote

Just drove my bike back from Spain to the UK and I'm torn between importing it or just scrapping the frame and selling the parts.* It's probably worth more as parts, and less hassle than going through the process of importing. Especially because the frame isn't in the best shape (no major accidents, but some corrosion and a lot of the bolt holes have stripped threads).

One thing I thought about though is if it's okay / easy to sell an engine from another country? Do I need to go through the import process for the whole bike before I can sell the engine because of the engine numbers and all that jazz?

Hope this is the right place to ask, cheers!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 30 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles#:~:text=Scrap%20a%20vehicle%20that's%20registered%20abroad&text=If%20it%20is%20not%20'seriously,the%20vehicle%20has%20been%20destroyed.

Your google is broken?

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:23 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't really the answer to the question, but thanks for trying

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the legal situation, but I wouldn't expect you'll have any issue breaking the bike and selling the parts on eBay without going through the import process first - realistically I doubt most people care enough to go through the hassle of checking engine numbers when buying scrap parts, particularly 20+ year old parts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:19 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've swapped engines into a few bikes and when you do it, you fill in the V5 for a change of engine number and include a letter from an engineer/MOT tester confirming that bike X has engine number Y in it, or include a receipt for the purchase of the engine.

As far as I know, as long as it doesn't come back as stolen, they send out the new V5 with the new engine number.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:24 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Re: Selling an imported engine? Reply with quote

You've imported a damaged vehicle and would like to scrap it rather than registering it in the UK. Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:15 - 31 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to sell it and someone else imports it... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:36 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: Selling an imported engine? Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You've imported a damaged vehicle and would like to scrap it rather than registering it in the UK. Wink

Well, no winky face required, that might be exactly what happenes. There is nothing dodgy going on, it's my bike and from what I've read even if I import the bike I shouldn't have to pay any taxes or duties because of how long I've had it. The only thing is doing all the paperwork could be stressful, especially on the Spanish side - Spanish beaurocracy is a nightmare.

It might very well be the case that I decide the frame is buggered and I do indeed scrap it rather than registering it. Or, it could be that if the corrosion isn't too bad I get it sand blasted and powder coated and re-register it.

The main concern is, IF I scrap it, the engine is still good, and I would like to sell it to get some money back. If I need to register the bike here BEFORE selling the engine, that would be a factor in whether it was financially viable to repair the bike or scrap it.

Anyway, thanks for the help everyone!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Wasn't really the answer to the question, but thanks for trying

Well you asked if it was easy to sell a foreign bike part.

It is. So long as you comply with import export guidelines..

Or were you asking if it is possible to sell an engine that will be hookie as soon as any sale is made minus the appropriate paper?

Possibly yes, of course.

But if the part is ever connected with a crime in the future you could be fingered as an accessory.

"Scrap a vehicle that’s registered abroad

If you have a vehicle registered outside the UK that’s classed as ‘seriously damaged’ you will not be able to register or tax it in the UK. Serious damage means the vehicle cannot be repaired - it might say something like ‘statutory write-off’, ‘scrapped’ or ‘non-repairable’ on the registration certificate.

If the vehicle is damaged, check if it is ‘seriously damaged’ with the registration authority for the country the vehicle is from.

If it is not ‘seriously damaged’, ask them to provide evidence of this.

To scrap it once it’s in the UK, you must use an ATF.

You’ll get a ‘Certificate of Destruction’ to prove that the vehicle has been destroyed.

It’s your responsibility to tell the driving authority in the country where the vehicle is registered that it has been scrapped."

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a Honda CN250 with an engine from a French-registered one I bought off a chap who had ridden it to the UK and left it in his garden to rot when it got some unspecified electrical fault. He couldn't be arsed to fix this and then register it in the UK so I bought it for a derisory amount, scrapped it and fitted the motor in mine.

I reported the engine change to DVLA as Stinkwheel describes and a new V5c came back - nothing else was said. I very much doubt DVLA even know how to tell from the engine number if a motor is imported or not, and I suspect they care even less.

If it was me I'd not even bother telling people it was imported unless there's some significant difference from the UK version. As a buyer I'd only care that it was healthy and not nicked.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:09 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab some spanners. Once you start taking it apart it becomes "spares" and nobody anywhere gives a damn where they came from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1