BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cycling Mikey

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a completely normal mountain bike with normal dimensions, set up correctly for me. You don't have to dismount it but coming to a stop you do have to either let your ass hang off to the side or stand over the front of the seat, with your balls touching the top tube.

It's just not equivalent to the comfy seat of a motorbike. Not enjoyable enough to be worth doing for its own sake. And if I have to learn a special technique to overcome the inherent constraints of bicycles then that says something in itself.

It all comes down to changed brain chemistry from regular exercise. Serious cyclists will tolerate all sorts of discomfort while advocating cycling as the solution to all problems. That's fine - each to their own. But what we're talking about here is when cyclists cannot tolerate others. Perhaps it's to be reflected upon why, if you think cycling isn't great, then something must be wrong with you. That's the source of all cyclist-related conflict.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:31 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's a completely normal mountain bike with normal dimensions, set up correctly for me. You don't have to dismount it but coming to a stop you do have to either let your ass hang off to the side or stand over the front of the seat, with your balls touching the top tube.

I see the problem. You are riding a bicycle designed for off road use on the road. Mountain bikes generally do have an unusually high bottom bracket so they have sufficient ground clearance to ride over large rocks and tree trunks.

Using mountain bikes as road bikes is in my oppinion why so many people get disillusioned with cycling as a form of transport. It makes everything harder than it needs to be. I hate riding mountain bikes on the road to the extent that I'd rather take my road bike offroad if the trip is also going to involve a lot of road riding. I see a few people on mountain bikes on my commute and it never fails to look like hard work.

It's like using a landrover for an urban commute then complaining when it's an uncomfortable ride and gives you crap fuel economy.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my problem - it's CyclingMikey's (and cyclists' in general) problem. It's not about me and my bike. Clearly, a bicycle is accessible to all, yet not everyone is going about by bicycle. Why is that? Here are some possibilities:

1) Doesn't provide enough reward to merit the effort.
2) Bicycles don't lend themselves to start-and-stop riding in traffic.
3) They're already done it to death (in childhood and adolescence), and to progress to the next level they need to put in more effort and/or accept more risk.
4) Different personality types - I would find road cycling boring because I wish to go at motorbike speeds, which I find fun).

I don't really want to be 12 again. It was fun for a little while but you can't keep going over the same ground over and over. It's not a problem if I don't want to ride a bicycle. It's not going to stop anyone else riding a bicycle. Nevertheless an anti-bicyclist perspective is sorely needed for a bit of balance, and because this is a very one-sided debate, where cycling is presented as a transport solution and so much more.

Perhaps if there were some way in which normal ageing and kicking back could become tolerable in this society, you wouldn't get all these midlife crisis types causing issues for everyone on the roads. Guy's making a noise and speeding on a motorbike? He's gone in 3 seconds. Guy on a bicycle kicking up a stink over one foot of roadspace? He lingers like a bad smell, and in the worst case he goes into holy war mode because it becomes his whole personality and life purpose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:58 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's not my problem - it's CyclingMikey's (and cyclists' in general) problem. It's not about me and my bike. Clearly, a bicycle is accessible to all, yet not everyone is going about by bicycle. Why is that? Here are some possibilities:

3) They're already done it to death (in childhood and adolescence), and to progress to the next level they need to put in more effort and/or accept more risk.
4) Different personality types - I would find road cycling boring because I wish to go at motorbike speeds, which I find fun).

It kind of is, because your perception of at least points 1 and 2 is in part because you ride an inappropriate bicycle which is hard work to ride on the road and means you have to get down out of the saddle when you stop.

I must admit, point 1 also applies to me but I'll freely admit I am a lazy bastard but even then. When I still had a local pub I used to ride my bike the 2 miles. If my road bike was out of commission, I'd walk rather than ride my mountain bike because it was too much like hard work despite it being literally parked next to the road bike.

Point 2 I totally disagreee with because I find bicycles superb in stop-start traffic, you can filter to the front, make smooth progress through traffic and can get away from the lights quickly enough that you beat most cars across a junction. In urban settings is where bicycles make most sense. When Mrs stinkwheel lived in York, we'd cycle everywhere, to the point I bought a cheap bike to leave at her house for when i went over to visit.

I mostly don't ride a bicycle to the shops and such because while it's only 2 miles there there is a fuck-off steep hill both ways between my house and town meaning you arrive at either end in a muck sweat. The pub ride was the other direction and mostly flat.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fully retrograde step for the individual (reversion to childhood) and for society as a whole (reversion to collectivist ideals such as Maoist China) and a withdrawal of right to individualism (the idea that the individual doesn't know what's good for them and needs to be coerced to make the right choices). And it's all neatly packaged. I utterly reject it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's not about me and my bike. Clearly, a bicycle is accessible to all, yet not everyone is going about by bicycle. Why is that?

1. Weather is fucking dogshit in this country, who wants to get to work wet? No cunt.

2. You sweat from the physical exertion, who wants to be sweaty and smelly at work? No cunt. Hardly anywhere has a place for staff to shower and no cunt wants to lug a second set of clothes with them.

3. You have to commute any distance more than a few miles and it becomes a long commute because you're slow as fuck compared to a car or motorcycle. Who wants a long commute because they're slow as fuck? No cunt.

4. You need to carry anything at all that doesn't fit in a backpack you're fucked. Who want's to be fucked because they can't get a bag of shopping home with them on their way back from work? No cunt.

Bicycles are shite for anything but a leisure activity.

Number (1) is the most likely reason, it's also the most likely reason why everyone commutes in fucking cars instead of motorcycles or scooters (which are genuinely the perfect commuter in fair weather).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:34 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the problem of the Crank being too high up is easily fixed by raising the seat....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:37 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Surely the problem of the Crank being too high up is easily fixed by raising the seat....

He was complaining he couldn't put a foot down when he stops without getting off the saddle. The perfect efficient pedal to seat height will probably be the same on any bike so the lower the bottom bracket, the closer to the ground your seat will be.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting your foot down on a bicycle? Something's gone horribly wrong if this is a problem. I got hold of a really nice aluminium Kona frame dirt cheap a while back the only downside being it was a 21" frame. Awkward but not impossible at 5'5" but then again I have a slightly larger inside leg... nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, ladies Wink

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Putting your foot down on a bicycle? Something's gone horribly wrong if this is a problem. I got hold of a really nice aluminium Kona frame dirt cheap a while back the only downside being it was a 21" frame. Awkward but not impossible at 5'5" but then again I have a slightly larger inside leg... nudge, nudge, wink, wink, know what I mean, ladies Wink

Your XSR is not a low bike I'm taller than you but seem to have shorter legs it is Ok but once in a while nearly get caught out.
It can make a difference having boots with more/less sole or even more bulky trousers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

He was complaining he couldn't put a foot down when he stops without getting off the saddle. The perfect efficient pedal to seat height will probably be the same on any bike so the lower the bottom bracket, the closer to the ground your seat will be.

Two words. Dropper post....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Two words. Dropper post....

Or a bike designed for riding on the road instead of over logs?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't want to hijack and derail the thread, guys. You may well be right. I'm just speculating as to the cause of the CyclingMikey thing, and perhaps I'm wrong in superimposing my own experience of pushbikes upon the wider picture. No doubt, there are many nuances and many good and plausible reasons, related to place, bike and rider.

But my history with the mountain bike is like this: got back into cycling after decades away, after being infatuated with an ancient BSA town bike. I built up my fitness on that (it took a few months) and found myself always heading to the same tracks and trails. With its skinny tyres and 3-speed Sturmey Archer, it wasn't the best choice, so I decided to get a mountain bike. Went back on those trails and it was amazing. Then I got bored. Quite a pedestrian ( Laughing ) story. What if CyclingMikey has the ideal bike for town riding, wears the ideal gear, and behaves in the ideal way for the urban environment and conditions? Would I want to emulate him in any one of these things? Probably not.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:40 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder how often not being to put your foot on the ground whilst being in the seat is ever an issue.

Even with a road based bike if you have the seat at the optimal point you will barely get a toe on the ground anyway.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: Cycling Mikey Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Anyone ever seen the guy Cycling Mikey on YouTube? He basically goes about London with cameras on to try and catch as many people on their phones as possible and grass them in.

I’ve noticed that some of the worst car drivers have dash cams. They don’t realise the reason they keep encountering dodgy situations is because of their own poor driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Your XSR is not a low bike I'm taller than you but seem to have shorter legs it is Ok but once in a while nearly get caught out.
It can make a difference having boots with more/less sole or even more bulky trousers.

Lol... I've gone from chalk to cheese Rebel 500 => XSR700 with regards to seat height. I do think it's a "beginner biker" thing to want to absolutely solidly plant both feet flat on the floor. That being said I appreciate the custom, slightly lower seat I added to the XSR. Fractionally less annoying does add up when doing 50+ miles through the City.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:16 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
doggone wrote:

Lol... I've gone from chalk to cheese Rebel 500 => XSR700 with regards to seat height. I do think it's a "beginner biker" thing to want to absolutely solidly plant both feet flat on the floor. That being said I appreciate the custom, slightly lower seat I added to the XSR. Fractionally less annoying does add up when doing 50+ miles through the City.

Does this mean I have to reliquish my title of 'chief dwarf' to you? You clearly have more problems with the height of bikes than I do.

Unless its an inside leg thing (fnar fnar)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:20 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a teeny-weeny Cornish pisky, never said any different. The difference is I'm of a slender build and in no way stumpy like a dwarf Wink

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:26 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbits!
Even road bikes like these are not great on British roads with their rough surfaces and potholes and put you off balance if you need to look around for traffic.
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/images/94622-70_ALLEZ-E5-BLK-CSTBTLSHP-CARB_HERO.jpg

If we are going to have tax dodging schemes like cycletowork then they may as well scrap VAT on pushbikes for everyone now we are out of the EU.

Ironically while off searching for more details I found this.

Quote:
An EU rule change will allow 0% VAT on bicycles and electric bicycles sales and services from the middle of 2022 — the Government is to examine if and when it might implement the measure.

https://irishcycle.com/2021/12/17/0-vat-on-bicycles-sold-in-ireland-to-be-examined-following-eu-rule-change/
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 236 days between these two posts...

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 08 Apr 2024    Post subject: Re: Cycling Mikey Reply with quote

I don't like people on their phones but I also don't like grasses.
---------------------

So, brings me to my point. What's the consensus in here on this type of thing? It's only going to become more common that people get grassed in for all kinds of things. Going a fucking hoon is going to become harder Crying or Very sad

I've never understood why people say 'grass' as if it's some cowardly undeserved stab in the back?

If you're not doing something wrong in plain sight then you can't be grassed on.
All of these idiots he reports are out there very visibly and publicly breaking the rules of the road. Why is it ok they are distracted in my roadspace?

I don't agree with the melodrama he cooks up in the process and alot of the time he does antagonise folk far more than he needs to - but play stupid games win stupid prizes: in this case points on your licence.

As for the hoon bit - how?
Go somewhere appropriate and you're fine - or do a Glyn and accidentally forget your plate is unreadable Laughing

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 09 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Reward in what sense?
I do it for a living, I pay a fraction of the costs of using a vehicle, I get to exercise for free, I get a 'tool' that doesn't depreciate in value.
Bhud wrote:

How? It's physically no effort
Bhud wrote:

eBikes. If you want 'next level' then a pushbike with electric power is alot of fun, without the licence requirements or higher speed risks.
Bhud wrote:

Again, hop on an ebike to your local supermarket, you don't need motorbike speeds to feel the wind-rush and enjoy a carpark skirmish.

Bhud wrote:

I don't really want to be 12 again. It was fun for a little while but you can't keep going over the same ground over and over.
As above.
.....meh, complaints....
As above.

Bicycles are shite for anything but a leisure activity.

Laughing okay. Check the photo.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 10 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection! Razz

Don't care, still dislike moon-crater-face-Mikey.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:13 - 11 Apr 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed it initially and it really isn't that long of a time, I didn't understand the irrational opinion.

You don't have to like the guy to accept my points are valid Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2