Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Washing machine not spinning

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Washing machine not spinning Reply with quote

Dunno whether anyone else has had similar problems and can chip in...

My daughter's Zanussi has stopped working. It powers up, you can choose a program, the drain gurgles but it doesn't spin. Loads of YouTube videos suggest replacing the door switch Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bent sub frame?
sorry, thats all I got

Wouldn't a bad door switch just stop the machine?
( Edit: just had a quick gurgle out of curiosity and apparently
it can have an effect of preventing the spin cycle whilst allowing other cycles)

level sensor ? faulty pump not draining the feelthy water out?
I would assume it checks the level is low before starting the spin stage
I'd check/clean the pump and filter first they clog up easily
and check it actually pumps/drains properly

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pump can be tamperfered with usually via a wee door in the lower front.
They are not as complicated as motorbikes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it’s overloaded or unbalanced it won’t turn, although you’d expect it to rotate once before stopping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the filter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:40 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not draining" sounds promising. Now I think on it I reset the machine so we could open the door... and of course my daughter bagged up the clothes for me to wash Rolling Eyes Anyhoo, she said there was still water in the machine so it makes sense if it's not draining it won't move onto the next step.

The bad new is there's no fluff filter on the front like my Bosch has. Apparently the design is such that it doesn't need one. Given I still hear it gurgling I might take a look at where the waste pipe goes in case the route is blocked. I shall investigate...

<edit> Tomorrow I'm gonna disconnect the waste pipe and stretch it over to the sink, run a drain cycle and see what the flow rate's like.

Last edited by Easy-X on 20:50 - 01 Aug 2023; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby pin in the pump is the usual one on ours, you have to open the hatch at the bottom right, unscrew the plug, pull out the wee filter then fish the foreign object out of the pump impellar. Have towels on standby because there is usually a reasonable amount of water hanging about in the bottom when you undo the plug.

Also a blocked outflow pipe will do similar. There can just be a wad of lint stuck in there. There's usually a one way valve somewhere in the corrugated pipe running out of the back or in the drain pipe it flows into. It's usually disgusting and stinky but can generally be taken apart and cleaned out.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NEWER ZANUSSI WASHING MACHINES NO LONGER HAVE FILTERS ON THE FRONT OF THE MACHINE

There is no longer a filter that needs cleaning in the Zanussi washing machines.

This appliance is designed with a self-cleaning draining system, allowing light fluff fibres that fall off the clothes to be drained out with the water, so there is no need to access this area for regular maintenance and cleaning.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people still use bobby pins?

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

He didnt specify they were Mrs Stinkwheels. I reckon he keeps a handful in his beard incase he needs to pick a lock.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

i do for removing ear wax Embarassed

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use ribbons and those alice-band sort of things to keep my hair at bay.

It so resembles a sheeps-arse in its curly rambunctious intensity that bobby pins just don't hold anything in place for much more than five minutes. Laughing

[EDIT] : I know fuck all about washing machines. I used to have to call out the guy to fix them all the bloody time when I worked in the knocking shop, always washing fucking towels and bed linen (obvs) and I was NOT prodding about in the fucking lint lobby for god knows what might be blocking the pipes. Couldnt afford to have the w.m. out of use for a single day in that place Rolling Eyes So now, with my own machine, there's only me ... so maybe one or two washes a fortnight (one whites, one or two of colours) If mine do ^^that^^ I just give up and buy another one.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:51 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a Zanusi (An Appliance of Science Rolling Eyes ) then there's a fancy door seal that stops any accoutrements reaching the pump.

Could be simply that the pump motor is phuked.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hoover washer was doing a similar thing this morning.

There was a filter on the front of it, like a big drain plug.

I took that out and it was full of muck, once I'd cleaned it the washer started working again

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dryer breaks a belt almost once a year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:28 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:

Usually from people (who shall remain nameless) overloading the thing with too many wet towels Sad

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
blurredman wrote:

Usually from people (who shall remain nameless) overloading the thing with too many wet towels Sad

You are the Utilities Doctor and I claim my 5 Free dryer sheets.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 02 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a frequently used family machine its well worth checking the motor
brushes and commutator while yer in there.

A lot of these machines use what's often called a 'universal motor'
so brushes are easily sourced.
Hard worked machines can sometimes have the commutator pads start to lift off
the rotor due to heat and this can chew away at the the brushes as it self destructs.
Mine did that a few years ago, it started with a ticking sound as it spun the drum over

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spun or Span? Thinking

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 03 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spun

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask her if she is missing the underwire from a bra, it's in the pump.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Ask her if she is missing the underwire from a bra, it's in the pump.

I had a look to see if the drain pipe was blocked but no, not enough sludge in it to make a difference. It sounds like the pump makes an attempt then gives up.

If I had the time I'd strip it down but my brother-in-law works for a company that delivers white-goods and he's cut her a nice deal to drop off a new one and drag away the old. Not the right deal in terms of repair and reuse but probably the best in terms of time, money and convenience.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we’ll never know. Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:48 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their wizard wheeze of not putting in an inspection cover to allow foreign bodies to be removed from the pump worked then.

I'd have replaced my current machine three times by now if it was similar.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Their wizard wheeze of not putting in an inspection cover to allow foreign bodies to be removed from the pump worked then.

You mean the one which isn't at the front near the bottom and absolutely doesn't have have a flap without a rotary cover behind it?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2