Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bit of advice needed on a stolen motorbike and what to do

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 Aug 2023    Post subject: Bit of advice needed on a stolen motorbike and what to do Reply with quote

Hello,

One of my sons was riding to his girlfriends tonight on his Yamaha YBR 125.

The bike cost him about £2K, it has had a couple of nocks. (Diesel Spill and hitting a pram wheel in the middle of the road).

His throttle cable snapped and the RAC was informing him of a 6 hour wait.

He left the bike, I don't have access to a van and its about 15 miles away from me. Nor do I have a spare clutch cable. (Weirdly I just ordered one for my Er6 last night as I haven't changed it in a while)..

Anyways, he comes back and the bike has gone.

Reported to the police etc.

I'm obviously annoyed and annoyed at him, he's shxt at maintenance and I probably would have stayed with it or pushed it around looking for houses and offering £20 if it could go in someone's garage overnight.

Now he does have a brand new Honda CBR 500, in my warehouse at work. Waiting on his Mod2 in a few weeks.

But I'm not sure what he should do. I've never lost a bike.

Does he have to inform his insurance company? Does he have to claim/Should he claim. (Bike insurance increasing, wiping out the claim amount).

The YBR is his first bike and he's been riding since January.

Thanks guys

Last edited by kawakid on 14:58 - 05 Aug 2023; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 04 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

More personal accountability needed - let him work out this mess himself.

Everyone has made mistakes similar to his. The bike might also have been stolen when he was at the girlfriend's house, preoccupied with other things. In any case, it's double abandonment of a possession he paid for: first in neglect of maintenance and then in the conscious decision to weigh up the possibility of theft at night, and take a walk anyway because anything beats sitting around and taking a piss in the bushes. His decisions, so let him work out how to mitigate.

Just my opinion and I was hesitant because it's your kid, but you did ask.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 04 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, yes he is an idiot.

But he's still young and always knows best.

He put the bike behind a wall and got his girlfriend to come and pick him up in her car.

Now he's going to take a hit. But he's on good money and unlimited overtime if wanted. I can't see his bike being worth more than £1200.

I just don't know if you report stolen and not claim. Not a scooby

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly report it stolen
you never know, it may turn up
one my lads bikes did but around here the police would get a recovery firm to take it to a yard where prices were £120 recovery and £20 a day storage
it may be more nowadays so be warned.

claim/not claim?
dunno, depends on value and I'm not sure of what effect a claim
would have on any future insurance.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the point of having kids if you're just going to let them loose to fuck up their lives? Surely it's incumbent upon the older generation to teach the younger otherwise all the knowledge and experience you've accumulated through life just goes in the bin when you die.

Pass it on.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:31 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the bike was worth more I'd say claim...

But considering it is not worth that much... I guess it is up to him. I've had a bike stolen and I have not reported it to the insurance. I did get it back eventually though.

I guess I would just tell the insurers. Yea, it will increase his rate. But if the insurers give him £1200 for the bike. I do not see them increasing his premium by £1200 by the time he insures his CBR. Maybe the premium would be increased by £300-£400 max? hard to say.

That being said.. I think the excess on my policy for my 125cc is like £500 lol. (125cc's seem to be pricey to insure).
If he has a high excess like £500 then he would only be getting £700.. Now, you really start to question if it is worth it.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least your son reported the theft.

The bike is in his name, but not in his possession; it is still his bike. What say the bike is used in the commission of a crime, or involved in a fatality? Doubtful the people that have your son's bike in their possession are the trustworthy sort, and who knows what kind of BS they'll feed the authorities regarding their acquisition of the bike. And when the police arrive to question your son and he says, "it was stolen but I did not report the theft."... how well do you think that would go over? Confused

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:31 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd report it regardless. Last 2 times my bike's been nicked I've reported it but not claimed. Got the bike back both times and did the repairs myself for less than the excess. Insurance are none the wiser.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
(125cc's seem to be pricey to insure)

Of course, insurance is calculated using statistics and 125's are overwhelmingly usually run by people
who haven't passed a proper test and are running on L plate's. I'm sure they end up on more accidents as a direct
result of this. Also 125s aren't as cheap as they used to be, nowadays a nice 125 like for instance an MT125 will cost
similar money to purchase as a 300 or 400 cc A2 bike. They are disproportionately stolen more because they are
much easier to lift into a van and are often targeted by people who have access to many vans and just want to rip the
plates off them and sod about on them on their illegally occupied caravan site, then they burn them out when
they've broken them. I always wanted an MTX125 in my younger days but would never have bought one, trail style
125's get nicked almost the exact moment you take your eyes off of them.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.C.E.* Compliance is key here.

Tell the rozzers.
What if the bike is used in a snatch n grab, or an HnR.

As for the insurance thing.
Is it worth having to declare it for the next 5yrs and deal with higher than average premiums?

* Arse Covering Exercise

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
A.C.E.* Compliance is key here.

Tell the rozzers.
What if the bike is used in a snatch n grab, or an HnR.

As for the insurance thing.
Is it worth having to declare it for the next 5yrs and deal with higher than average premiums?

* Arse Covering Exercise

Definitely report it…. If it’s in an accident, gets tickets, or used in another crime, the first place the cops will go is your doorstep assuming it’s you.

As for insurance, if you’re not going claim, cancel it ASAP. Again if it’s in an accident and damages other property, the claim will be against your insurance (same as if you sell the bike and the new owner doesn’t take out their own insurance).

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report it simply for the fact that if it isn't reported but it gets chased by cops or pops a hundred speed/red light cameras it's the OP's son that will be getting the fines etc.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So . . . Ummm Thinking , what physical disability does your son suffer that prevents him pushing a 125?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:19 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a couple of insurance quotes online with the theft on there to get an idea of how much the insurance will increase. I cant see it going up so much that it's worth not claiming.

I wouldn't blame him for it tbh, it's your job to teach him these things Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is he and how much is the excess?

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

He has reported it to the police, but not reported to insurance.

His excess is £500, bike is worth probably around £1200

He has done a quote for the CBR and its £2200 with a claim for theft and its £1800 without

So its £400 more. So 1st year cost is £900

2nd year cost likely to be £400 extra also (so £1300)

3rd year £400 again so (£1700)

So based on this, probably not worth claiming.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stolen and involved in a claim against the 'bike', the insured insurance is liable.
If you do not inform your insurer that its been stolen, it going to be a big explain later.

It will affect future premiums but that's the game.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:54 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the police chase after a bike thief on your stolen bike and ram them off the road, they will claim for the damage to their car bonnet from your insurance.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 05 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yes, if the police chase after a bike thief on your stolen bike and ram them off the road, they will claim for the damage to their car bonnet from your insurance.

And if we just cancel the insurance on Monday.

It's up to him ultimately, it's a hard one.

Hopefully it's recovered. It needs fixing for a start

Otherwise I hope they strip it

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 06 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
And if we just cancel the insurance on Monday. It's up to him ultimately, it's a hard one.

For all the aforementioned reasons, don't wait until Monday. Do it now. Your insurance agent will surely have a voice recorder on their phone. Your son should call immediately to have the cancellation time-stamped for his own protection.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:49 - 06 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

its good that this happened. Even better while he was young. He'll not do it again.

I know this, because I ran out of petrol around 10miles from home as a 19yo three decades ago.. I put the bike on its side in some long bushes (this was.."in the countryside") and walked home...got home at 2a.m., woke my dad up, got van and returned to site to find tyre tracks where my bike had been loaded and woosh...just like that, gone forever.

Goodbye GS1000S Wes Cooley in red/white reg: RNR234T (I still remember the engine/frame # too...I'll f'kin find it again oneday)

see...you never forget your mistakes.

And I never run out of petrol anymore.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

And if we just cancel the insurance on Monday.

It's up to him ultimately, it's a hard one.

Hopefully it's recovered. It needs fixing for a start

Otherwise I hope they strip it

"Under section 151 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the insurers of the legal owners of the stolen vehicle are liable to cover any loss or personal injuries sustained as a result of an accident."

The insured is at liberty to claim damages from the person responsible for the accident.

Laughing

They're just having a laff there.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

"Under section 151 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, the insurers of the legal owners of the stolen vehicle are liable to cover any loss or personal injuries sustained as a result of an accident."

The insured is at liberty to claim damages from the person responsible for the accident.

Laughing

They're just having a laff there.

Meanwhile the TWOC'er gets slapped with a 150 quid fine, and the actual owner of the bike gets sent a bill for 5 figures worth of property damage they didn't cause.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1