Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The 'Yeah, right..' thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: The 'Yeah, right..' thread. Reply with quote

Dismantled old bike, non known if runner, mis-matched engine/frame, damaged fairing, some bits painted - gimme 1900 for it, no offers!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134681681602?

Yeah, right. Do you think I've got 'Pillock' tatooed on my forehead or summat.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread idea. A lot annoys me when it comes to what motorcyclists do, tbh. As for the above:

Quote:
I took apart my daily running 1989 FZ750 (with a 1984 1FN engine)

Why? There was no reason. You destroyed a survivor from better times. You had a good reason, right?

Quote:
The intent was to go allout with quality of parts and technology while keeping the aesthetics.

Rebuilding a bike introduces the possibility of error. Since when was quality of parts an issue with 80s/90s Yamahas? I call bullshit.

Quote:
I did a lot during the pandemic

You broke a lot during the pandemic.

Quote:
my work has so much travel I have neither the time nor the motivation to spend my weekends at the workshop.

Arrogance. Decided to do unnecessary work because you saw it on Youtube, so anyone can do it, and it was never your hobby, so you lack "motivation".

Quote:
the owner of the workshop needed the space

So it wasn't a pandemic project after all, since you were going to someone else's workshop? No you weren't. You were doing it at home, because as Youtube shows, everyone's got a full workshop and a full set of mechanic tools, and nobody who knows what they're doing does anything at home.

The above dude is fairly typical. There is never any learning curve with these guys - they're all fully competent mechanics who know what they're doing, and they have fully outfitted workshops and no amateur/subpar tools. They never loved the bike. They never make any mistakes, nor admit to any. They don't ask anyone any questions. They never put in the time and effort to see it through. They just spin off bolts and then expect to flog a box of bits and get their wasted money back. Why? Who knows. Maybe they think it's manly.

Hehehe... I had to get that off my chest. Laughing Laughing
You see it a lot among motorcyclists: people who don't start at the beginning, don't persist, don't learn, and when they've filled a couple of boxes, they just "didn't have the time"...

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385822199234

Quote:
Apparently engine has been rebuilt

Nothing to do with price, but little details like that...

Of course the engine has been rebuilt at some point. But not recently... Maybe someone rebuilt it in 1970. He got down and busy with the paint though, and then stopped. It's more what isn't said, than what's said. Makes zero sense. Nothing about this makes sense.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT SALE THAT'S WHY I'M TYPING IN ALL CAPS.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thing, “Yeah, right” when sellers say it’ll pass the MOT. Prove it! I guess they’d argue that if it takes 2 months to sell that’s 2 months MOT lost but… meh! Show me it’s roadworthy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I always thing, “Yeah, right” when sellers say it’ll pass the MOT. Prove it! I guess they’d argue that if it takes 2 months to sell that’s 2 months MOT lost but… meh! Show me it’s roadworthy.

This along with "something is broken, it's a 5 minute fix but just haven't got time to do it" Evil or Very Mad

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:20 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you want to build one of these then I can honestly say this is a rare opportunity you should move quick on, without getting lost in the price which is lower than what I have spent on it and in the larger scheme of things its a detail you will forget."

Or, you know, fuck building one; you could buy a working example for less than the price of this box of broken/missing (it's 99% COMPLETE M8) bits.

What an absolute bellend.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Indeed. When you think about how easy it is to pass a motorcycle MOT, it's a pretty low bar, so when I see 'WILL SAIL THRU MOT M8' I always wonder why they didn't do it themselves and make their heap of shite that whole lot more saleable.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can deliver this practically anywhere in the UK, and will do it personally to you,
Wub
Quote:
unless logistics get in the way.

What does that mean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:33 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:
I can deliver this practically anywhere in the UK, and will do it personally to you,
Wub
Quote:
unless logistics get in the way.

What does that mean?

"I can deliver this practically anywhere in the UK, unless I can't"

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
"I can deliver this practically anywhere in the UK, unless I can't"

“Sorry mate, I’m scared of bridges. You’ll have to come and collect.” Laughing

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another favorite of mine is 'just needs a carb clean' when in actual fact it needs someone to actually spend some money on a dyno and get it rejetted to suit or just put the fucking airbox back on...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 07 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

And don’t they say 90% of “carb faults” are something else… (electrical?).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/145236776325?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rsUAAOSwSFNk1Tvh/s-l800.jpg

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge all the parts are still present and I don't think it would take much to get it running again. It could make a great farm toy/beach bike with very little work or with a bit of love could be a really fun street legal cafe racer. Sadly I no long have the time for a project like this.

Yeah, right

So what is it to be beach, cafe or farm Confused

Still, a realistic start price Wink

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
Another favorite of mine is 'just needs a carb clean' when in actual fact it needs someone to actually spend some money on a dyno and get it rejetted to suit or just put the fucking airbox back on...

"All it needs is a quick MOT and it's good to go".

Fine then mate... prove it by putting an MOT on it. It literally adds value to the bike so I'm always really sus when someone says "it's perfect but I haven't spent the 30 quid to put it through a test".

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:15 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Great thread idea. A lot annoys me when it comes to what motorcyclists do, tbh. As for the above:

Quote:
I took apart my daily running 1989 FZ750 (with a 1984 1FN engine)

Why? There was no reason. You destroyed a survivor from better times. You had a good reason, right?

Quote:
The intent was to go allout with quality of parts and technology while keeping the aesthetics.

Rebuilding a bike introduces the possibility of error. Since when was quality of parts an issue with 80s/90s Yamahas? I call bullshit.

Actually a few people have done exactly that with FZs

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was going to do something awesome and just didn't have the time or space, plus my dog died, and I suddenly lost interest because of a new and amazing job" is the "yeah, right" bit. It throws everything into doubt because the line of thinking is inconsistent and the reasoning is poor. All you know for sure in that case is the guy had a working bike and now he's got boxes of parts he wants gone.

People do all sorts of stuff with bikes, it's true. But finishing a project is one thing. The other side is "yeah, right".

Another one I saw on Facebook recently (pseudo cafe racer 80s twin which bits chopped off and Ebay accessories added which blew its engine while being ridden down an American highway with a buddy filming him from a car):

Quote:
i did a head rebuild but i believe it wasnt running rich enough, also forgot to change the cylinder sleeve o rings so it was leaking a good amount which probably let in more air. It was 2 hours of 5th gear riding at 5-6K RPM which is already high to keep up with freeway speeds. So on the up hill it was just too much stress and she just went, she actually got me home which is a miracle because it was 20 min of riding on a blown motor but yeah

Where the bike in question did not come with cylinder sleeve O-rings in the first place, and even if it did and they were leaky, they wouldn't let in air. 5-6k rpm on a bike where redline begins at 8500 rpm is not a problem either. That's another "yeah, right" case because it's clear the "head rebuild" (and who knows what entailed) couldn't have been competent if he mistakes the cylinder head gasket for cylinder sleeve O-rings. Rolling Eyes Laughing

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of which I have a slightly knackered 125 scoot for sale 2013 plate £400

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

'MOT exempt' boils my piss as this can often refer to unroadworthy
form over function shite.

the arseholes spend possibly thousands fuckin a bike up yet shy away
from £28 for an independent inspection to prove it's roadworthy.

yeah right

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
'MOT exempt' boils my piss

I don’t understand the rationale for exempting old bikes.

Anyway, “I’ll be working from home this afternoon.”

Yeah, right.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let's see now... ABS, nope. Disk brakes, nope. Emissions, nope. Indicators, nope. Visible smoke... hmm... nope" etc. A proper vintage bike will have so little from the modern checklist I suppose they thought it hardly worth the bother.

The spirit of the thing is garage queen, occasional outing to Box Hill. This is one of the reasons I think they'll stop the rolling 40 year thing past the 2030s as you could easily daily a '90s bike.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don’t get why a cheap, older vehicle is assumed to be better maintained and safe.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's something I may have discussed before. I have to be careful what I say here because people do read this forum (and regurgitate it elsewhere sometimes), and people's thoughts on different subjects change over time, and even if something is well-argued, it may not necessarily be correct.

But with the classic vehicle exemption they were thinking 1920s Bugattis, RR Silver Shadow, Porsche 356s, E-Types, Countach, Testarossa, etc. People who've got these cars have a "man" to maintain them in tip-top condition. It wasn't meant for Austin Allegro, Mini, etc. This is because the people who pushed for the classic car exemption were highly influential, and even had political power. When they admitted the historic category, they weren't thinking about some nob fooling about with a CB250. They were trying to get a sort of equivalence with EU historic exemption, albeit on more stringent grounds, at the time. That's the basis for everything. High-end classic cars driven by the very rich and powerful. Bikes were tagged on as an afterthought, as they are registered vehicles too.

Cracks are beginning to show (earlier than I expected). The ULEZ thing: highly controversial and now the 40 year rule is being repeatedly brought up among the people who haven't quite cottoned on to the bigger picture of what's happening (technology and globalisation replacing the need for a motivated working class). As long as "I'm a hardworking nurse", and they can blow out in Benidorm once a year, and who needs lawyers when I'm a freeman-of-the-land, etc. The kind of people who don't understand how things work. So you join the dots... Is it going to last. I have no problem with anyone bodging together whatever they like but they should try and fly under the radar.

The argument the classic car clubs ran with was correct at that time (which was less fraught with controversial political pressures). They stated, their cars were hardly ever driven. That claim was true. This historic thing was never about cheap old bikes.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I just don’t get why a cheap, older vehicle is assumed to be better maintained and safe.

Don't spoil it for me.. Neutral

BTW In Holland, Finland and Ireland, there's no equivalent MOTs on bikes - ever.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 00:14 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 40 year rule is because of most of them hardly ever get used and are owned by people who know how to keep them going.

They don't require an MOT, but still are required to be safe for use on the road. If you run into someone because your brakes are knackered, you're just as liable as in a 39 year old vehicle.

There are plenty of what-if loopholes, but they are not a policy problem. Classic vehicles make up a tiny amount of overall traffic, and have few serious accidents. The law would only need to change if there was a measurable problem.

I would estimate that there are a lot more unroadworthy vehicles driving round with dodgy MOTs, than unroadworthy classic vehicles driving round with no MOT.

Which reminds me, I haven't ridden the CB250 in about 11 months.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3