Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody took their bike to Shetland?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:57 - 11 Aug 2023    Post subject: Anybody took their bike to Shetland? Reply with quote

I'm trying to plan a bike trip to Up Helly Aa and as there's significant water between here and there it means I can't just ride the whole way, so I was just wondering if anybody can shed any light on the cheapest options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:10 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one option because there is only one ferry.

You have a choice of catching it from Aberdeen in the evening or Kirkwall on Orkney where it stops every other day in the middle of the night on it's way from Aberdeen.

There is a chance it might be cheaper from Orkeny, but you'd need to get to Orkney which will mean a good few hours more riding North then another ferry, the cheapest of which is the Gills Bay one.

Only real way to save on the journey is to not book a cabin on the ferry and just stay up all night drinking or crash out on the floor somewhere.

Uphellya is at the end of January. It will be fucking cold, it could be snowing both on Sheltand and in Aberdeenshire. You will only have 7 hours of daylight on Shetland at the end of January. They can have weather on Shetland at that time of year that means you can't leave the house, never mind ride a motorbike.

The ferry can't always leave if the weather is too bad. I personally wouldn't fancy that crossing in winter. Last time I did it it was midsummer and it was so rough I actually blacked out with seasickness and was still feeling rough and off balance several days later.

Never get into a drinking competition with a Shetlander, they are professional drinkers and you will loose. I speak from personal experience.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:57 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back, was there last weekend. As stinkwheel says easiest way is Aberdeen. Have also done the Gills Bay route as well. Any specific questions, ask away. We had a cabin but they are expensive at £121 each way. Sleeping pods are cheaper and you do get access to a shower.

Weather can be crap, but can be good as well, check out Caledonia Biker on you tube - he has just put up a video of a small part of our trip.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:31 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went on the Shetland ferry, they put 4 ratchet straps on each bike and chained the cars and wagons down. The seats in the lounge were going up on 2 legs, hitting the wire they'd been tied down with, dropping back to the floor, then going up on the other 2 legs. You could only half fill a cup or glass.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:30 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in Aberdeen in winter and yes it's bloody miserable. It's short dark days on roads that are sometimes covered in snow and usually fog so you can't tell where they are so you just stay between the poles on either side and hope for the best.

After looking into the logistics of riding to Shetland and trying to stay someplace at that time it's looking more like I'll just have to nip up on the ferry to a B&B if I can get one booked ahead of time. There's still time to plan the trip but it looks like going on the bike might be a bad idea. It would be a great summer trip though. I might investigate that next year for some Northern lights festivities or summat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:42 - 18 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
It would be a great summer trip though. I might investigate that next year for some Northern lights festivities or summat.

You don't get the Northern lights in the summer, it doesn't get totally dark at midsummer.

It's well worth a visit on a motorbike in the Summer. They have great biking roads on Shetland.

There's a bike rally on the weekend nearest midsummer called the Simmer Dim rally. It's a cracking rally, three nights, more than enough beer vouchers included in the cost of the ticket and they feed you a few times over the weekend too. Invite only though so it can be tricky to get a ticket. Contacting the club and asking nicely can work though.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
lingeringstink wrote:
It would be a great summer trip though. I might investigate that next year for some Northern lights festivities or summat.

You don't get the Northern lights in the summer, it doesn't get totally dark at midsummer.

It's well worth a visit on a motorbike in the Summer. They have great biking roads on Shetland.

There's a bike rally on the weekend nearest midsummer called the Simmer Dim rally. It's a cracking rally, three nights, more than enough beer vouchers included in the cost of the ticket and they feed you a few times over the weekend too. Invite only though so it can be tricky to get a ticket. Contacting the club and asking nicely can work though.

stinkwheel has it dead right. Shetland in january is somewhere I wouldn't take a bike. You could be facing blizzards at worst or winter storms with wind speeds that would make riding (and sometimes walking) nigh on impossible if not downright dangerous.

We were up in Shetland around the dim a few years ago (my partner was invited to judge the local dog show) and thought we'd camp to cut down on expenses. As lovely as it was, it was also baltic lol. We did have a few fine days and did a lot of driving and walking - the scenery is spectacular and completely unlike Orkney.

If you want to see the merry dancers (aurora borealis) then you'll need to go in the darker winter months and hope for some decent solar activity. Or you could come to Orkney - we get superb displays too. In the summer and especially around the dim, like Orkney, the Sun barely dips below the horizon and it stays fairly light (depending on cloud cover). People play golf at midnight in Kirkwall.

You can fly into Sumburgh (weather permitting of course) but you'll need to arrange car hire because the airport is right on the southern tip of the main island. It has an interesting (in ways I won't specify) landing approach and the runway has a public road that crosses it.

In short if you can get there, then go. It's a stunning place and that's coming from someone who also lives in a stunning place.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1