Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New versus Near New

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:37 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: New versus Near New Reply with quote

Setting aside the bragging rights of having Current Year on the numberplate (which I'd happily bin for slightly lower insurance premiums) what are people's opinions on new bikes versus pre-registered and near-new ex-demo?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:59 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new bike is just as likely to break down and when it does, it's more of a pain in the arse to get it fixed because you're entirely at the mercy of when a main dealer can be bothered to do it.

I'm personally all for getting a low mileage example which has just gone out of warranty. By then any manufacturing fuck-ups will have been found and sorted and you're free to work on any other problems that crop up in your own way and have the money you saved over buying new with which to do it.

It was like that with the older enfields. They run a floating bush big end and the quality was variable. If it's bad, it'll go bad quite quickly, certainly within a couple of thousand miles and then it's an engine out and split job. If it's good, it'll last the lifetime of the bike as long as you don't run out of oil. So the smart money was on a used one that had 1,500/2,000 miles on.

Villers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me bikes are more of a toy and I don't need one for any particular reason. I have bought new in the past, and we are talking probably 2006 or 2004 here but in my time away new prices for anything I find reasonably interesting have become eye watering and the only way I'd pick one up now was if it was a very good 0% finance deal.

That's not to knock anyone who does. Im a fond believer in do whatever makes you happy. I realised 10 years ago when I sold my RSVR that the more expensive and shiny the toys got the less I rode them and the more I worried about them.

I'm now at the age where the questions I used to ask myself before buying a bike no longer really apply, I'm old enough not to worry about insurance, I have more than enough to buy them and I have plenty of space to keep them, but I just don't have the want in me for a new bike - as beautiful and technological as they are it would be a bit of a waste.

As I type, I'm watching a bloke on YouTube fixing up a crash damaged Fireblade SP with a whole host of toys on it like keyless start, which I would love, but in the garage I have a 20 year old budget Suzuki with 30k on the clock and nothing but an MOT certificate to its name.

I certainly wouldn't be spending 10k plus on a piece of machinery for anyone else's benefit though!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've gone for something fairly new (~1000 miles on the clock) that's just had its first service, already has a few of the mods I would have done anyway - de-cat, tail tidy and err.... bar end mirrors Smile - and two bags less than retail.

I'll post more when it's actually delivered.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ex-demo a good idea though? I've always been put off by the thought of a succession of would-be Rossis thrashing the pants out of a brand new engine

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Is ex-demo a good idea though? I've always been put off by the thought of a succession of would-be Rossis thrashing the pants out of a brand new engine

The one I'm going for is second hand rather than ex-demo.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

My Triumph Trophy is ex demo. All the bells and whistles for a few grand under the base model. Under 1000 miles on the clock. I did hum about it being a demo but it's a large touring bike, it's not going to be hammered like a race rep and I've had no issues with it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:00 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I've always flogged bikes on test rides, otherwise you're not really testing it are you? Never ever done one
without venturing north of 110 during the ride at some point. When I had the 2017 MT10 for an hour and a half
during Fowlers MT weekend some years ago I used almost a full tank of fuel. To be fair it was a few years later but
that test ride eventually sold Yamaha and Fowlers another bike.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:03 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an ex display model when I got mine, hadn't been rode just sat in the showroom

The price of that was good at the time, and when I was looking, near new bikes were very similar in price to a new one, like something 6-12 months old were only like a couple of hundred cheaper at the very most

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought new. Only the 4th bike in 40 years of riding, the rest have been second hand. It is nice to be the first, I keep hold of my bikes for a long time, so depreciation in value doesn't come into things. As for breakdowns, yes any bike can breakdown, but warranty and a service package looks after that for a while and then you are in the same boat as anyone else, but you know the history of every bump, scratch or ticking noise. This will probably be the last bike that I will buy and it should last me well until the daisy scenario comes calling.

For those who chop and change their bikes yearly or so, then the second hand market is ideal for you as it is for those with shallow pockets and cut their suits according to their cloth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 25 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Just bought new.

what have you bought?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 25 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
de-cat, tail tidy and err.... bar end mirrors Smile - and two bags less than retail.

I'll post more when it's actually delivered.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F638da66a572fc77d6afb533b695de101%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D16357952&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=735963e555f25a31e9dd5bc5a007f12f43ae419b22dc9e5b4a8da9380513687b&ipo=images

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
what have you bought?

As I've received a call to say it'll be delivered on Monday it is now a somewhat more solid proposition.

I went for a 2022 Vitpilen 401. (I'd link a picture but the listing's already been taken down.)

As the weather's been pretty good this week I've been out and about a lot on the XSR. Notably to check out the similar Duke 390 of which I can't say I was bowled over by. Probably just a sucker for the Husky's spoked wheels Smile but otherwise the 401 is sorta to the Duke in the same way the XSR is to the MT07.

Not sure about the "café racer" clip-ons but there's an OEM kit available to convert to the Svartpilen's conventional handlebars. I'll not miss the >40kg weight difference to the XSR but I will miss the "pr0n theme tune dirty trombone" exhaust note I don't think a single will get anywhere close to it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:
what have you bought?

As I've received a call to say it'll be delivered on Monday it is now a somewhat more solid proposition.

I went for a 2022 Vitpilen 401. (I'd link a picture but the listing's already been taken down.)

This one?

https://imgur.com/rkIm0NB.jpg

Last edited by WD Forte on 00:17 - 26 Aug 2023; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar. Probably get it repainted pretty quickly.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:21 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

chang Laughing

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:
what have you bought?

As the weather's been pretty good this week I've been out and about a lot on the XSR. Notably to check out the similar Duke 390 of which I can't say I was bowled over by. Probably just a sucker for the Husky's spoked wheels Smile but otherwise the 401 is sorta to the Duke in the same way the XSR is to the MT07.

Not sure about the "café racer" clip-ons but there's an OEM kit available to convert to the Svartpilen's conventional handlebars. I'll not miss the >40kg weight difference to the XSR but I will miss the "pr0n theme tune dirty trombone" exhaust note I don't think a single will get anywhere close to it.

Interesting, I kinda like them.. ..without the bar end mirrors obvs.. so the XSR is going?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Interesting, I kinda like them.. ..without the bar end mirrors obvs.. so the XSR is going?

..although I still don't 'get' this obsession with cutting off the seat/tail half way over the rear wheel - the Trident, another bike in my 'quite like for a modern effort list' is similar. The result is no proper rear mudguard, much restricted pillion seating, difficulty in mounting any sort of luggage... I'm sure it wouldn't affect the aesthetic greatly to make them a little more practical.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:16 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near new comes with the added bonus of less marlet price depreciation next time its sold.

Warranty should still cover the beast (within OEM T&Cs).

Avoid a vanity crash if the model hasn't been massively updated.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in two minds over the XSR. It's a great bike but it's just way more than I need right now. And a change is as good as a rest.

There's not much in the way of luggage options that I've seen in the European market but loads more if one takes a gamble on imports from China/India/Thailand. For example, Givi don't do any official top box rack but I turned up one on AliExpress that looks like wot Givi would have made:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004765591185.html

BTW this second hand 401 I'm getting has had the "tail tidy" treatment but all the original parts come with it... including the conventional mirrors Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the hate for bar end mirrors. The stock mirrors on my MT10 were awesome. For looking at my own
elbows. The Oberon bar end mirrors on there now give me a great vibration free view behind, my only criticism is that
they are a bit stiff to fold up and down which I have to do to get the bike through my back gate.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends a lot on what deal your dealer can offer you. My wife bought an ex-demo Street Twin a couple of years back, the current year's reg plate and about 400 miles on it. It wasn't the colour she initially had hoped for, but it was about a grand cheaper than a brand new one, had 2 year warranty and came with £500 of accessories - the deal they were doing for any new bikes.

Given that second hand prices for the same model were hardly any cheaper (literally a few hundred quid at best), it was a no brainer. Just piece of mind with the warranty and half a grand on accessories cinched it. She's still got the bike and has no plans to sell it, but the later year on the reg plate should help value a little, over an older model.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I don't understand the hate for bar end mirrors. The stock mirrors on my MT10 were awesome. For looking at my own
elbows. The Oberon bar end mirrors on there now give me a great vibration free view behind, my only criticism is that
they are a bit stiff to fold up and down which I have to do to get the bike through my back gate.

They flap around a bit. I had one on a Kawaski 650. It weren't a perfect solution.
The stock mirrors had been 'designed' to be stylish but were 25% fit for purpose.
The bar end mirror was just a filler.
It was maybe something one needs to get muscle memory to get the most benefit from it.

My S1000RR has 'stylish' mirrors too that have a seriously reduced field of view. So I never exceed the national speed limit. For safety reasons. There could be a road safety officer following me.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have my bike under a cover in the front garden. Maybe if I stick with the clip-ons the Vitpilen could fit down my side alley Thinking

Anyhoo, conventional "antler" mirrors, pillion pegs, stock numberplate... all things that get tangled up with a cover. The absolute best I managed was flipping the mirrors on the Keeway under the handlebars (Harley style is thru-holes rather than threads for mirrors) no elbows, great view, no clutter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 26 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the remnant of the original eBay listing is still available:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22-Husqvarna-VITPILEN-401-/276001992084
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2