Ideal long-distance commuting bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd dispute 60 miles as long distance.
OK a 120 round trip, but that still isn't far.
Once a month? that's a shopping trip.
I'd accept Oxford Edinburgh as long distance.

When I were lad we used to go from Bristol to the Ace cafe and back in a day on 30 year old Cx's

it were all fields round here back then...................

Broken_panniers
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:00 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think London to Edinburgh by bike is really commutable though!

I suppose 'long distance' means involving significant motorway work. Most 'commuter' bikes are merely adapted to town/city riding, and miss out this element (which is crucial in my case).

Not saying my commute is impossible - if it were then I wouldn't have taken the job! - but I reckon the journey is a fairly long way as commutes go.

What bike would you chose for it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest if I ever lost my job and all my money and had to start from the ground up again, my commuter would absolutely be a scooter with a waterproof blankey to keep my flaps warm and dry.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done Cardiff to Graz in 2 days on my ETZ251. Also Budapest to Calais in 2 days too on the 251. Fun times. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:34 - 15 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken_panniers wrote:
If super scooters are seriously being proposed, it seems to me that the downside is a relative lack of motorway stability and wind protection. Also potentially motorway grunt (depends what we're comparing with though).

I wouldn't say any of those are valid on a proper super scooter. The Honda ones have effectively the same motor as the NC750. So three figure cruising. No chain to worry about, sports mode which is properly poky and proper brakes and suspension. Wind protection is superb because your legs are inboard of the bodywork and they have a screen.

This is after riding a mates x-adv which is the "adventure" version of the Forza. It's no slouch and keeps up with full size road bikes. Absolute hoot to ride in sports mode. The footplate thing takes some getting used to but it also had flip-down footpegs.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken_panniers wrote:
Maybe Honda CBF1000...This is just outside budget: https://superbikefactory.co.uk/2013-honda-cbf1000-red-with-16072-miles

(CBF 1000 / 2013 / 16k miles / £3,744)

Also superbikefactory is 80% staffed by retards, so there's that to consider.

I will openly admit to being biased, but hear me out...

I currently commute into St Paul's from the High Wycombe area. I go once or twice a week and take the M40/A40 route.

I've used a CBF1000 for the commute for over 10 years. I know it's not a popular choice, but it's suited me perfectly. I've done the journey on CBR600F, CB500, NC750, CBR954RR and RXS100 Laughing and the CBF1000 has been easily the best (for a commute)

My only upgrades are taller screen, heated grips and topbox. Oh and a power socket/voltmeter for early warning of potential stator failure. My CBF is a mark 1 and I think I'm on my 3rd stator? The mark II you linked above doesn't suffer from the same weakness.

Although the CBF is a bit of a lump it's surprisingly nimble in town and the engine is a peach. Loads of pick-up regardless of gear and enough oomph to keep up with the fast boys and girls on the M40.

The section from Polish War Memorial to end of the Westway is all average speed cameras so fearsomely dull these days, but great for fuel economy and tyre life. The cameras ARE live. I know, I tested them Rolling Eyes

Shame Honda didn't continue with the CBF. The NT1100 doesn't appeal to me as a replacement. I would actually be more tempted by the Forza 750, although that's well out of your suggested price range. I intend to book test rides on the Forza and a few others. My CBF has now done 120k miles and won't last forever.

Anyway just my opinion. There are better bikes for filtering, but the CBF is quicker than most and the motorway performance and comfort swings it for me.

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
My only upgrades are taller screen, heated grips and topbox. Oh and a power socket/voltmeter...

Sorry forgot Scottoiler. Last chain lasted 50k miles. I have the touring reservoir behind the number plate which I find lasts approx 4k miles.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another for a Dullsville. You've got a fun bike anyway. And tbh, they are bloody good long distance tourers.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to do that regularly I'd prob go with a deauville 700, and not spend £3.5k if I could help it.

I have a vfr800fi, I do commute on it around 50miles a day at the moment and it's fine, though it doesn't match my old 650 dullville for comfort. Shaft drive (no maintenance), a light clutch, engine that makes usable power down low, easy to ride in awful weather without having to think too much etc etc. Ok it looks very "commuter", but who cares, it's the right tool for the job.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll pick up a VFR without issue for that budget. Shit, I'd let my Crossrunner go for that. Solid, reliable, and can hustle a touch. Personally, I'd pay more attention to decent multi compound tyres, that won't square off as fast, no matter what you buy.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a vfr800 VTEC with 28k on gumtree in Bristol ATM for £1500.....spotted it the other day. Kinda tempting to pick it up and flog the vfr800fi for not much less. Have a bike with a few less miles. Newer etc, just whether the VTEC complications for servicing is worth it over the more simple pre-vtec.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
There's a vfr800 VTEC with 28k on gumtree in Bristol ATM for £1500.....spotted it the other day. Kinda tempting to pick it up and flog the vfr800fi for not much less. Have a bike with a few less miles. Newer etc, just whether the VTEC complications for servicing is worth it over the more simple pre-vtec.

I'd keep an Fi over a VTEC all day long.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR1200. Fairing, shaft drive, good value, comfy, relatively thin, good for filtering. very quick. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think it';s a sexy looking machine.

Sorry scrap that I see your budget.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:23 - 16 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
bacon wrote:

I'd keep an Fi over a VTEC all day long.

Miles are irrelevant to an Fi motor. Just give the brakes and springs a freshen up.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2