Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Petrol Stations - Helmets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:43 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Petrol Stations - Helmets Reply with quote

Is there a law about taking your helmet off at the petrol station ?

Recently fuelled up, with the wife on her bike aswell, normally we both fuel up, she goes in and pays for both pumps, i watch her gear/bike, i normally leave my helmet on doing this as its a pain in the arse to take it off and back on again, and there isnt always somewhere to put it either, anyway my pump wouldnt pump, over the tannoy comes "Number 2", and nothing else, just shouted a number out, this happened 3 times before she came out and asked me to take my helmet off by which time id already took it off anyway guessing thats what she wanted me to do, ive no idea why she couldnt say over the tannoy, "number 2 can you take your helmet off", but she didnt, she was just shouting number 2 and thats it

It wasn't so much the taking the helmet off that bugged me, more the way she didnt ask me to but was just shouting a number over the tannoy, is it down to each station to make up there own rules ?

Another station we normally use, in fact 2 which we normally use, dont have a problem with me keeping my helmet on while fuelling, the wife normally takes hers off and goes and pays for both of us

Wont be going back to that petrol station again, there is a tesco that has 99ron a mile up the road which has pay at pump so will probably go there next time

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there isn't any specific law but I bet they aren't allowed to make anyone take a burka off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:08 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do women wearing burkas have a habit of doing drive offs? If not your comparison is a bit irrelevant.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Do women wearing burkas have a habit of doing drive offs?

I don't take my helmet off. Though these days I do tend to pay at pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:38 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go to another petrol station. The majority don't care. I suspect when it happens they have just been the victim of a drive off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:57 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont understand how they got on during covid though, pretty much every customer had a mask on, so not much different, i had my snood on too which i could have pulled up like a mask, or even pulled over the back of my head like a balaclava if i was in the mood to be arsey about it

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No law, just their rules on their property. Retailers want you to come and buy but they’re not obliged deal with everyone regardless of behaviour. If their rules become too onerous people shop elsewhere but I doubt they notice or miss a drop in two-wheel trade.

The “Number 2” announcement is, in my experience, an invitation to go inside rather than have the minimum wage assistant embarrass you and her, and amuse everyone else on the forecourt, by using the ‘god-voice’ to explain why she isn’t allowed to activate the pump.

It’s a bit annoying the first time but I roll with it or go elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience (City petrol stations) the attendants aren't interested in motorcycle helmets but very interested in scooter helmets Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: Petrol Stations - Helmets Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:
Is there a law about taking your helmet off at the petrol station ?

Recently fuelled up, with the wife on her bike aswell, normally we both fuel up, she goes in and pays for both pumps, i watch her gear/bike, i normally leave my helmet on doing this as its a pain in the arse to take it off and back on again, and there isnt always somewhere to put it either, anyway my pump wouldnt pump, over the tannoy comes "Number 2", and nothing else, just shouted a number out, this happened 3 times before she came out and asked me to take my helmet off by which time id already took it off anyway guessing thats what she wanted me to do, ive no idea why she couldnt say over the tannoy, "number 2 can you take your helmet off", but she didnt, she was just shouting number 2 and thats it

It wasn't so much the taking the helmet off that bugged me, more the way she didnt ask me to but was just shouting a number over the tannoy, is it down to each station to make up there own rules ?

Another station we normally use, in fact 2 which we normally use, dont have a problem with me keeping my helmet on while fuelling, the wife normally takes hers off and goes and pays for both of us

Wont be going back to that petrol station again, there is a tesco that has 99ron a mile up the road which has pay at pump so will probably go there next time

There is no law compelling you to take off your helmet. However, stores are allowed to have policies in place where they require you to take your helmet off. They cannot compell you to do so, merely refuse to do business with you unless you do, and equally, you can choose to take your business elsewhere based on their policies.

My personal opinion is that there's no need to ask a rider to take their helmet off, if you went in wearing a burka they wouldn't be able to ask you to take it off so if the need to identify a face isn't enough then it isn't enough now.

I personally throw the pump on the ground and ride off somewhere else if I am asked to take it off over the tannoy or they don't turn on the pump. If they make me waste my time going elsewhere then I waste their time having to come out to replace it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can be arsed to, comply one time.

Next time wear a Clalabava under you helmet. (Rapist/SAS type where only the eyes and lips are visible.)

Post the results in this thread.

Apart from that, I don't have any problem fuckingnoff else where. And never visit the place again.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:42 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contract law applies, if they don't want to supply helmet wearing people with fuel, it's up to them. I personally ride away and go elsewhere providing I can get to another station with the fuel I have if they insist on me removing my helmet.

It's been a long time since anyone asked me to take my lid off though.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm doing pay at pump, I always take my helmet off because it seems the polite thing to do.

Manners maketh man.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike holds about £20 worth of super unleaded that might get me 100 miles. If I was going to steal fuel I'd use
something with a bigger tank and that runs on diesel.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
My bike holds about £20 worth of super unleaded that might get me 100 miles. If I was going to steal fuel I'd use
something with a bigger tank and that runs on diesel.

If you are doing it properly, youll need a merc sprinter van and fill it with 45 gallon drums.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes 5 seconds to take it off, and 10 seconds to put back on and do up. Not seeing a hardship with that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:41 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I can walk into a station just up the road and not have to faff with my helmet (fnar) Why would I go to the one that insists I remove it?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested if someone came in driving one of those open top cut down sports cars who wear helmets. Super 7's and the like. Would they think of asking them to remove their helmet or have the brain dead beind the counter only been told 'motorbikes'? Laughing

Not that I really give a sh1t as I wear an open face or flip front and have never been asked to remove mine.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you people smartened yourselves up a bit you
wouldn't get treated like criminals.
I never get asked to remove my helmet probably because
I ride a scooty and always nicely turned out.

( hmm not sure if those loafers go with that jacket tho...)

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F1a%2Fa5%2F03%2F1aa503e23f53bca8986b8f71a6201f64.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=3b0e02d9de9033dc5732ab0069204d76896ce50e8eb32e545dbeb197a6943de0&ipo=images

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:46 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
When I can walk into a station just up the road and not have to faff with my helmet (fnar) Why would I go to the one that insists I remove it?

Cos the one just up the road is an expensive one? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Cos the one just up the road is an expensive one? Laughing

The Esso in Keynsham is cheaper than the Jet (the one in question) in Saltford and there's an Asda about 4 miles down the road.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:12 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought you meant the Texaco that's half a mile up the road as Keynsham or Saltford are 15 to 20 miles away. Wink

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that few places care anymore. Not sure if this one of the few advantages ofCV19 where we all were wearing masks / helmets anyway!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:26 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Oh, I thought you meant the Texaco that's half a mile up the road as Keynsham or Saltford are 15 to 20 miles away. Wink

It's also an ESSO now. It was probably 12 years ago I saw the sign.

https://goo.gl/maps/jMQrPZbLz5TCQsr27

Before anyone says it says Keynsham, thats literally at where the dividing line of Keysham and Saltford meet. I consider it to be Saltford because at the roundabout up the road you either go to Keysham or go up the keynsham bypass.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:54 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Takes 5 seconds to take it off, and 10 seconds to put back on and do up. Not seeing a hardship with that.

You are obviously a fair weather motorcyclist.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:03 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

it definitely doesnt, usually have to sort out my ear plugs again, i have a very large beard which ive gotta contain in my snood or it flaps around in the wind, gloves off, and back on again, sunglasses etc

getting everything sorted to ride off after fuelling took more like 5-10 minutes funnily enough Very Happy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2