Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Leaving the scene of an accident (you know nothing about)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Leaving the scene of an accident (you know nothing about) Reply with quote

Asking for a friend Wink

So typically on a large, multilane roundabout you would think someone would be in the left lane to turn off. Classic would be left lane marked on the road to turn off, middle lane double turn off / straight on arrow, right lane straight on.

Occasionally some c*nt in the left lane carries on going round cutting across the traffic possibly turning off from the middle lane, middle lane vehicle swerves to avoid, poor sod in the right hand lane clatters into the side of him. Hope that scenario makes sense Smile

Obviously left hand lane c*nt has caused all this but going with the "if I don't look it didn't happen" mentality they of course "flee" the scene. What's the insurance company/companies (for middle and right lane vehicles) going to make of this?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:46 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely to have any issues with insurance but with enough witnesses against you potential careless driving charge....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on a mini roundabout near me didn't do the 'give way to the right' and hit over an old bloke on a mobility scooter then did a runner.

Irrespective of anything else, the lack of awareness of roundabout rules and etiquette in UK is pretty bad.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Someone on a mini roundabout near me didn't do the 'give way to the right' and hit over an old bloke on a mobility scooter then did a runner.

Irrespective of anything else, the lack of awareness of roundabout rules and etiquette in UK is pretty bad.

True, but then again, try Cyprus where all white lines, signs, traffic lights, signals, indicators and other drivers are considered to be abstract concepts.

This is because the Cypriot driving test comprises only 3 essential elements, The Three Fs.

Until you can manage……

A Fag
A frappé
and your
Fone

………at the same time, while at the wheel, you are not fit to drive.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they had a lane to be in, I think it would incumbent on both parties to not crash into one another. The person in the left lane is in the left lane and the person turning off from the middle lane is turning across that lane. Probably go 50:50. You could argue that the highway code tells cyclists and horse drawn vehicles to go all the way round in the left lane so would they have just crashed into a cyclist? I'd say slow the fuck down and look where you are driving, if you didn't have time to slow down and stop, you were probably going too fast and if you didn't see him, you weren't looking properly.

After all, we've all been lost on occasion and not all roundabout signeage is particularly good, especially when it's busy and you can't see the road markings for which lane to be in. There are a couple of fucking retarded ones on the York bypass that look like left lane should be for exits 1 and 2 but it's actually just for exit 1 and the road markings are all but worn off. Loads of vehicles get it wrong and land up "stuck" on the roundabout just after exit 1 with lane 2 vehicles agressively preventing them exiting.

So say like in this picture, if the guy in the blue car wasn't indicating to leave at exit 2 and kept going round to exit 3 and the green car had a prang. I'd say that was as much on the green car as the blue one.
https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/uploads/3/2/9/2/3292309/rule-185-follow-the-correct-procedure-at-roundabouts_orig.jpg

If there wasn't a lane to be in and they swerved into a different lane without looking causing following traffic to swerve, it would be their fault.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:40 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP must provide us with a paint diagram showing the layout of the roundabout and who went where.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 21 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
OP must provide us with a paint diagram showing the layout of the roundabout and who went where.

I'll try and track that down, one of the ones on the way to Box Hill I suspect.

First thing I said when I heard about it: "Is the bike okay?" Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:08 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver a on the left lane may have some responsibility in creating the scenario for the other prick to blooter into another vehicle. Whoever changed lanes or tried to drive into another vehicle's path is to blame.

One is supposed to drive with due care for other road users.

Roundabouts are fuking easy-peasy. It boggles why/how folks can have RTIs on a fuking roundabout. Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking a yank in a car and entering a roundabout at speed when it's busy (safely of course). They can't have many in the states. He was petrified. Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

U was talking to an insurance company loss adjuster and he said that roundabout incidents nearly always go 50/50. In fact he said "Ive yet to be involved with one that didn't". Said it's just too much work figuring out the blame ratio, or perhaps he was just lazy.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

U was talking to an insurance company loss adjuster and he said that roundabout incidents nearly always go 50/50. In fact he said "Ive yet to be involved with one that didn't". Said it's just too much work figuring out the blame ratio, or perhaps he was just lazy.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Try taking a yank in a car and entering a roundabout at speed when it's busy (safely of course). They can't have many in the states. He was petrified. Laughing

In lieu of roundabouts they have more traffic lights and stop-sign junctions. I wonder whether that suits the local PD with regards to issuing tickets (given the department keeps the revenues.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:23 - 22 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yes, 4-way stops are the norm over there. As well as being allowed to turn right on a red light at some -but not all- light controlled intersections (usually indicated by a tiny sign, high up if you aren't allowed to). They have some real humdingers of accidents too. When you smash on a roundabout mostly it's vehicles heading in vaguely the same direction whereas on 4-way stops it's generally a straight-up T-bone or head-on.

If you get a septic whinging about roundabouts, show them this, they are all obsessed with statistics because it's the only way you can make baseball an interesting sport.
https://nextstl.com/wp-content/uploads/9577583353_3c13fe8144_o-1.jpg

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 23 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

im seeing more and more ignorant twats using the left hand lane to turn right on roundabouts because they are too important to wait in the right lane queue like other drivers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always presume that any and all vehicles are going to go around the round about and stay on it. People make mistakes with the exit that they require and keep on the round about. It has saved me numerous times, it may have meant that I have had to go around again, but those few extra seconds, even if it is 240 seconds, beat the hours having to sort out a broken vehicle. People are to quick too quick to take their perceived right of way and not give way in order to protect themselves and others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1