Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tokico 6 pots - lever travel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:33 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Tokico 6 pots - lever travel Reply with quote

Morning folks, last night, against my better judgement (should have done it on a sunday rather than a school night...) I rebuilt the 6-pot calipers and master cylinder on my zx6r.

After faffing about bleeding I think I have a good consistent lever now, no 'sponginess' to speak of but there is a fairly long bit of travel before the brakes bite, about 20mm mid lever. Once this travel is taken up the lever is very firm.

If I set the the lever to it's closest throw setting (5) I can just about squeeze the lever to the bar, anything higher I can't and at about 2 it feels just right.

I know these particular brakes are notorious for long travel/sponginess, trouble is when I got the bike the calipers were seized so don't really have anything previous to gauge it against.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you haven't already fitted maybe braided hoses will help. I'm told old OEM hoses can 'balloon' slightly.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:56 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did fit new braided hoses, now left with a cable tie on the lever and gone to work.
I did notice that there was some just noticeable retraction of the pads when I release the lever, maybe the seals will creep back on the pistons by this evening.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend with a TL1000R had the same problem with his 6 pot calipers.When He eventually got around to trying to sort his front calipers we found a large amount of sludge behind the pistons after removing them all,something that he was unable to do himself.

After we rebuilt them he mounted them up & just could not get the action that he felt happy with.My suggestion was to buy a radial master cylinder where there is a very useful bleed facility near the lever.As far as I know he is still looking to get this done.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never get over this problem until I fitted a 19mm piston master cylinder. I think that the 16mm ones just don't shove enough oil.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normal, not a problem unless you let the initial lever throw bother you, and no brake work will change it (Pete’s replacement master cylinder upgrade excepted).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:17 - 24 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back from work and released the zip tie which has improved the travel, lever now really firm just a smidge after the microswitch clicks, I think I’ll see how I get on once the bike gets hopefully mot’d in about 3 weeks, but I all seems ok. I was more worried about the bleeding as the whole system was basically starting from dry and heard lots of horror stories about 6 pots but it wasn’t too difficult.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1