Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hollow rivet link install fail

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:12 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Hollow rivet link install fail Reply with quote

Buggered up a hollow pin chain link, can anyone more experienced and less ham-fisted offer any guidance please?

Fitted a DID 525 x-ring chain today, no instructions came with it in the box so when I flared the first pin I completely stuffed up and overdid it cracking the top of the pin, ok so link was now buggered so ordered another, £7 down the pan.
Then had a practice on the other pin and literally anything over 0.2mm spread cracks the head.

Now putting my engineering head on, the pins are already a really tight interference fit in the side plate, by flaring the ends 0.1 to 0.2mm, to my mind those are never going to come out.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you peen over the edges of the link till the overall diameter reaches the size specified in the instructions. 5.5 ~ 5.8mm most likely.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need to do is flare it enough so it can't go off sideways. All the force is down the chain.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had that problem. What flaring tool are you using? Maybe there's something wrong with the tip of the pin?

Fullers1845
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:58 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the data sheet on DIDs site, 525 x ring should be 5.7 to 6.0mm, the second pin that went tits up I just measured at 6.1mm.
It was with a brand new Oxford chain tool, I’ve chalked it up to experience and will stop at exactly 5.7 next time Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:58 - 27 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a dab of moly grease on the end of the pin too.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 06:46 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullers1845 wrote:
It was with a brand new Oxford chain tool, I’ve chalked it up to experience and will stop at exactly 5.7 next time Rolling Eyes

Chalk it up to having the wrong tool for the job.

DID chains for the last few years have been designed to be fitted using a DID KM500R chain tool as they have very specific flaring requirements.

The KM500R restricts the amount you can flare the pin to the perfect amount without any adjustment from the fitter needed so its easily repeatable many many times.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:26 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see... the cheap kits are just a ball bearing whereas the DID version is more like a die Thinking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I see... the cheap kits are just a ball bearing whereas the DID version is more like a die Thinking

More usefully the DID has a very positive stop that you can't go beyond without destroying the press.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a tool like this, not one of those crap oxford types.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404384360249?hash=item5e272fa739:g:HTYAAOSws2JktNvQ&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4D8eEyxoB0C1gLZEHKJfG7Dd87oCOp09jtUYkirQjJzaxWyThiLIyZd3Yj0IHAP%2BoGwsqiUlJ8JjatzNNfRA3Rh5ctrQVkLNdhgKMa3SLqyn6VTrPDFOIQJ%2BMy5jSzAJfnmzhe7A1UiZEGOK7cd028CNeYZz0dSOniqLXKQtqs%2FGFXpsVoOnv%2Ft%2BPHAdSjUEPkXWk79OgeYHSSEAVtKJGLVrnXO0dE70gJfq2uFIDuWAN%2BUBEw9%2BPdsqM0Y%2BI6clWNfzr0CKirf9IUnNxH8jBQbbwVyc7Qj4aT32K4kiYMmq%7Ctkp%3ABFBMjoCJjshi

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

Or buy the DID one which is meant for the job and will last a lifetime. Often times you are better off buying the high quality tool that will last forever.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I saw a chain riveter recently which specified a torque setting. (Kellerman?) but now I can’t find a reference to it. How practical would using a torque value be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Cant really disagree, but DID charge a stupid amount for the real thing. My clone has done 2 chains now and it's not shown any signs of wear like the one I had that was similar to OP's which broke after a few uses.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Cant really disagree, but DID charge a stupid amount for the real thing. My clone has done 2 chains now and it's not shown any signs of wear like the one I had that was similar to OP's which broke after a few uses.

The useful thing about the DID tool is if you watch the DID training video and follow the steps you can't fail but to do the job perfectly. The DID tool is only perfect for ID chains.

A generic tool may well do every brand of tool but will take some level of skill to do them perfectly. I agree the ops tool is crap, the handles bend and they never seem to work well. The DID clones are a hell of a lot better but do require some skill to use.

I would expect the DID tool to last a minimum of 100 fittings before the die needs replacing and with care may well never wear out.

I have a pathological fear of chain fitting. I have seen way too many chains that seem perfectly well fitted snap. The failure rate of chains is shockingly high so anything such as the DID chain tool that means every chain I fit, is fitted perfectly soothes my anxiety.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:16 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I have seen way too many chains that seem perfectly well fitted snap. The failure rate of chains is shockingly high so anything such as the DID chain tool that means every chain I fit, is fitted perfectly soothes my anxiety.

Really? Never had or seen or heard of a properly fitted and maintained chain fail by breaking. Wear of course, but snapping, no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
Really? Never had or seen or heard of a properly fitted and maintained chain fail by breaking. Wear of course, but snapping, no.

I used to work on bikes for a living.

Quick link failures are well known. They used to be recommended up to 70bhp, now only used on small bikes.

25 years ago endless chain were common, no rivet link but you had to remove the swingarm. Then rivet links appeared and there were failures due to shops refusing to buy Whale riveters and using cheap chain tools.

Failures due to over pressing rivet links causing O/X ring failures are still common.

Virtually every failure I have seen has been at the link.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:00 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the DID KM500R chain tool for anyone who's interested.

£118.99

https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/km500r-did-chain-cutter-riveter-571522

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:04 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I had new chain and sprockets I had the local bike shop provide a riveted chain loop of the correct length and I removed the swingarm, replaced the suspension linkages/bearings and fitted new sprockets. If I riveted a chain myself I wouldn’t trust it, not having experience or training. I’m reasonably handy but the nagging doubt would ruin my riding.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:51 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuous chain is not the same as a soft rivet link. I've done 2 or 3 over the years and tbh it's not that difficult and the first one was done with a G-clamp and a ball bearing.

You literally only need to make sure that the plate can't go off the end of the link. All the pressure goes down the chain and not sideways.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:09 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trick is to buy a KM500R style tool then buy the genuine DID pin as a spare.

I'm all for quality tools, but I'm also not a millionaire and I do a chain every 20-30k, maybe the odd mates one.

That being said you can absolutely do a good job with the £12 soysauce branded kits off eBay. All you're really doing is pressing a plate and flaring a rivet to spec, measure the plate is on the correct amount, then rivet and measure until the rivet is in spec, clean the heads and get the light on there to do a close inspection for any cracks.

Only thing is you almost certainly will bend/ snap the pins and they take more care to not balls up and over squeeze anything.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Shocked

megaross wrote:
I'm all for quality tools, but I'm also not a millionaire and I do a chain every 20-30k, maybe the odd mates one.

With no disrespect meant to anyone which I know is unusual for me, I think people need to re-calibrate in their brains how much hand tools cost. I've had to and it's been shocking.

Brexit added between 20-35% to the cost of European tools and Covid and Ukraine has pretty much tripled the cost of steel. Along with the weakness of the pound on the international markets we are pretty much screwed in the UK on prices.

The DID chain tool is one of the few tools that hasn't risen in price over the last few years but I imagine it will in time.

If anyone doubts me over the cost of tools, take a look on Ebay and Amazon. Even 2nd hand tools that used to be a couple of quid each max like Record G clamps are now fetching good money at over £5 minimum.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:22 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that's the thing, I have plenty of nice tools that were not cheap but that doesn't mean I think you should buy expensive if you can get away with a workaround.

The tool body isn't making a difference on a KM500R - it's all about the pin. I'd sooner have a cheap body and a genuine pin and £70-80 left towards another tool.

Sometimes it's worth spending - taps for example. I wouldn't plunge a cheap chinese tap into a hole because I've broken a tap - I know that pain, sooner drop £40-50 on a single 3 part tap set for that size.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:02 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin us irrelevant, that's what angle grinders are for. The important part is the flaring plate, its a pretty precision part.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't just hit it with a hammer with another hammer behind it like I've been doing for the past 40 years without any issue?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2