Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The West Highland Way Scotland

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 28 Aug 2023    Post subject: The West Highland Way Scotland Reply with quote

We finally completed The West Highland Way 96 mile hike in Scotland
It goes from Milngavie just outside Glasgow to Fort William.

I have not been to Glasgow properly since 2006 and whilst has nice historic buildings I have never seen so many beggars in such a small area who all had better trainers on their feet than me!

One lad was rapping on the side walk to what sounded like Glasgow Drill rap, I was very confused seeing what was actually happening before my very eyes.

The West Highland Way hike stated its 96 miles but my Samsung Health app showed 118 miles so what ever measurement used I am sure does not account for the many twists and turns especially on the beautiful treacherous stretch on Loch Lomond.

We did it over 8 days and it was a beautiful, amazing, knackering hike which I am gonna do again next year because more people want to come with me this time as this time there was just 3 of us.
We did a mix of camping, log pods, hotels.

Next year will be over 11 days and hotels only as having an ensuite toilet and shower after hiking over 10 miles is bliss.
One day will be spent as pure rest just after the half way mark at Bridge of Orchy Hotel, their food and rooms were good!! (Food was soo good, best bacon sandwich I ever had infact the sandwich was a full blown meal!)

I have so much video footage to edit and post to youtube but here are some highlights of the views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbAdo5MvBJg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 28 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: The West Highland Way Scotland Reply with quote

woo wrote:
We finally completed The West Highland Way 96 mile hike in Scotland
It goes from Milngavie just outside Glasgow to Fort William.

I have not been to Glasgow properly since 2006 and whilst has nice historic buildings I have never seen so many beggars in such a small area who all had better trainers on their feet than me!

One lad was rapping on the side walk to what sounded like Glasgow Drill rap, I was very confused seeing what was actually happening before my very eyes.

The West Highland Way hike stated its 96 miles but my Samsung Health app showed 118 miles so what ever measurement used I am sure does not account for the many twists and turns especially on the beautiful treacherous stretch on Loch Lomond.

We did it over 8 days and it was a beautiful, amazing, knackering hike which I am gonna do again next year because more people want to come with me this time as this time there was just 3 of us.
We did a mix of camping, log pods, hotels.

Next year will be over 11 days and hotels only as having an ensuite toilet and shower after hiking over 10 miles is bliss.
One day will be spent as pure rest just after the half way mark at Bridge of Orchy Hotel, their food and rooms were good!! (Food was soo good, best bacon sandwich I ever had infact the sandwich was a full blown meal!)

I have so much video footage to edit and post to youtube but here are some highlights of the views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbAdo5MvBJg

The good thing about the west Highland way is you don't see many frozen corpses by the wayside like you would if you summit Everest.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to do Everest especially with how over crowded it is and the fact it is about a minimum spend of about $45,000
The permit alone from the Nepalese government is about $11,000

Even if you paid me I wouldn't do Everest!

I did Ben Nevis for prob the 5th time this year as took some friends up and my body was a write off afterwards.
Ben Nevis took a harsher toll on me than the 118 mile West Highland Way did over 8 days
My knees, calves, thighs were done, struggled to walk the next day let alone get out of bed

We did a lot of hiking, I prefer hiking than riding the bike!
Something about just being out there in the countryside with mountains that just ticks my boxes

Shame about the midges though...meh they are pesky even when you have midge nets and smidge repellant

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:25 - 29 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister gave me a book about the first ever assent of Chomolungma by a British team. 1921. George Mallory's reconnaissance trip for the British Geographical Society.

It's brutal.

And they did it in Blazers, Arran Knitwear and Corduroys.

In those days, Black's Camping shop didn't exist.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1