Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The ULEZ thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:25 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: The ULEZ thread Reply with quote

LEZ, ULEZ, ZEZ? Sounds like "my pronouns are..."

London mayor scraps plan for 2025 zero-emission zone

Will this be Genghis Khan's "poll tax" moment?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think they tried getting the Poll tax through by saying it would save little kiddies lives?

Net zero religion means you cannot oppose it without being some Hitler loving child killer

Like every other useless political meddling, people will just tolerate it, people on internet forums will endlessly say others will rise up to stop it, they wont.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 30 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'd argue that most of his core voters have access to a motability vehicle provided by a spurious invalidity claim
which by virtue of being <3 years old will be compliant diesel or otherwise. It won't affect his little postal voting mates at all.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 02 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitter is awash with footage of the "Bladerunners" fucking up ULEZ cameras. Political commentators are calling Genghis Khan every name under the sun and yet the police are yet to charge anyone with criminal damage and no libel cases have been made Thinking

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Twitter is awash with footage of the "Bladerunners" fucking up ULEZ cameras. Political commentators are calling Genghis Khan every name under the sun and yet the police are yet to charge anyone with criminal damage and no libel cases have been made Thinking

Normally I err on the side of law and order but in this case, I support the Bladerunners.

Also, the ULEZ signage has been found unfair and therefore all penalties are currently unenforceable.

https://fleetpoint.org/environment-news/ultra-low-emission-zone/tribunal-rules-that-ulez-signs-unlawful/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking that's about the old LEZ signage. It would probably need someone to take out a specific case against ULEZ signage but it should be a slam-dunk to cite the previous case.

Genghis Khan's been thrown under the [TFL EV eco] bus by both his own party and the government.

https://media.tenor.com/KIbHPkFeCk4AAAAC/oh-dear-how-sad-never-mind.gif

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove my 5.5L V8 petrol engine through London yesterday. It was ok, it is ULEZ compliant somehow...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5KsWP9XkAAZwTJ?format=webp&name=small

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:30 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of my vehicles are compliant and I haven't even been near to London in the last 8 years.

FFS, The hellkittie got her GSR through a test...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Both of my vehicles are compliant and I haven't even been near to London in the last 8 years.

Doubtless then, Mayor Khan will realise everyone’s compliant and switch off/recycle the 3400 useless cameras because they’ll simply be drawing electricity for no good reason…
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 04 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Here's the interesting wrinkle with the ULEZ thing: a petrol bike must be certified to be under the NOX limit described by Euro 3...

and nothing else

So to get your bike compliant it only has to be under a generous 0.15g/km NOX which you might be able to manage even with a carburettor-based engine just by richening* the mixture. Will there be more CO/CO2, particulates, unburnt Hydrocarbons? The Great Khant cares not!

For perspective my old "eco diesel" was originally specified as generating 0.137g/km but would need to get down to 0.08g/km (Euro 6) to be compliant (along with the particulates.)

* Conversely leaning out the mixture leads to higher temperatures and more NOX production so ironically fuel efficiency = murdering asthmatic kittens.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Did she take it for the £170 test? Do we know the results? Could be an interesting yard-stick.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are clickbaiting. How a new zone is related to ULEZ as the title say?

As far the ULEZ goes its already in place.

Despite conspiracy bunch throwing tantrums Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 05 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been with ze Germans too long, Val. Conformity is a sin not a virtue.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:57 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a place £170 ish and they tested my bike (1986, D-reg...inline 4 , 4 stroke, carbs of course) two weeks ago and it got a 0.13 reading, i.e passed.
I didnt mess about making it richer or anything, nor did it need a CAT fitted. Took 48 hours to register on Khans system and show up as compliant.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! It's probably a case of the more modern the bike the more likely it'll be running lean (for fuel efficiency) and need tweaking.

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:29 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup...thats exactly it...nox is formed when temps are super high..the exhaust gas exiting can actually burn the atmosphere around it too....lower temps=almost no nox....more fuel, more oil etc=lower burn temps.

so carbs are easier to pass...2strokes are easier to pass etc.
weirdly, anything approaching the modern era that isnt complaint already= more difficult to pass, e.g. early fuel injected bikes and so on.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ulez: 510 camera-related crimes in five months, says Met Police

I doubt we have had so much active actions against something probably since the poll tax. Yes, we have people sticking themselves to roads and throwing cream pies at airline owners but actual vandalism that you can be sure will invoke the hardest possible sentence for any prosecuted offender is quite unsurpassed in UK modern era.

At least 510 Ulez cameras were stolen or vandalised between 1 April and the end of August this year, figures from the Metropolitan Police show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66752082

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deliberately entered the ULEZ which borders where I live just to see what the fuss is all about first hand. The interesting thing is the ULEZ cameras were placed in concealed positions behind roads signs, etc. They know what they're doing is evil.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:45 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I deliberately entered the ULEZ which borders where I live just to see what the fuss is all about first hand. The interesting thing is the ULEZ cameras were placed in concealed positions behind roads signs, etc.

So basically reusing the posts already there rather than adding more obstructions to the pavement?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
I paid a place £170 ish and they tested my bike (1986, D-reg...inline 4 , 4 stroke, carbs of course) two weeks ago and it got a 0.13 reading, i.e passed.
I didnt mess about making it richer or anything, nor did it need a CAT fitted. Took 48 hours to register on Khans system and show up as compliant.

You would think that all bikes like yours would then become compliant, but how I read it is that everyone with your bike has to do the £170 test. Same with cars and vans. The system is also corrupt as one of my bikes comes up as another vehicle, even the age is wrong for the reg.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So basically reusing the posts already there rather than adding more obstructions to the pavement?

Nope, AFAIK they're always mounted on new posts. ULEZ cameras are small, black, unmarked and often placed in such a way as to conceal their presence.

In contrast speed cameras have signs as you approach them and painted bright yellow. Apart from the occasional overgrown tree they aren't generally concealed from view.

Just to save a bit of digging through Google here's a map of the new zone and all the camera locations:

https://ulez.co.uk/ulez-camera-locations/

Given it would be prohibitively expensive to put up cameras everywhere (even without half of them being chopped down) it looks feasible to plot a route to all sorts of places and avoid the cameras entirely. But watch out! TFL have mobile detector vans, 20 of them apparently for the whole of Greater London Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hardly as if it's unsporting. It's not as if it's a surprise. Don't want to pay the fee? Don't fucking drive into the zone.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The zone is absolutely vast, to be fair. Covers a lot of areas which are only London by name and not by nature. It's affecting people (mostly car enthusiasts).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's hardly as if it's unsporting. It's not as if it's a surprise. Don't want to pay the fee? Don't fucking drive into the zone.

Not unsporting?! I think we must be looking a different dictionaries. The only way they could be less sporting is have them entirely covert.

I think I'd rather mock the system than conform to it.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2