Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1200RS Buying advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:29 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

Heya.

After riding some newer sportbikes my ZX9R is starting to feel a bit....meeeh. I still love it, the shape, the riding position, the sound, but the clutch is heavy asf, it's not got much torque low down, the brakes are ok after the upgrade, mpg above 80 is worse than a fully loaded K1300S with a pillion, and I need to get it through ULEZ.

I have a 2012 R1200R which I'm loving, but after riding it to Scotland and back, I want to have something faired alongside it for longer trips, and with some more top end like the Ninja.

I've ridden a newer R1 and thought It'd either give me cramps or get me in serious trouble. Then I test rode the R1250RS and thought, fuck me, what a comfortable punch in the stomach, yet lighter than the K1300.

I'm going to see this fully loaded R1200RS that's well under market value later, and have right of first refusal.
It's 2015, 43k miles, FSH, I can't really spot anything wrong with it. Do you have any advice?

I think even if I regret it, I can still resell without loss.
Thanks in advance. Please don't nick it before I get there Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SirFallalot on 11:08 - 01 Sep 2023; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:

I'm going to see this fully loaded R1200RS that's well under market value later, and have right of first refusal.
It's 2015, 43k miles, FSH, I can't really spot anything wrong with it. Do you have any advice?

But why? When, for only twice as much money, you could have this R1200 GS Adventure ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115871991693?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
Heya.

After riding some newer sportbikes my ZX9R is starting to feel a bit....meeeh. I still love it, the shape, the riding position, the sound, but the clutch is heavy asf,

Just on the clutch for a sec, i've got two nines (a C and a C2) and the clutches are both quite light. Like, so many times lighter than e.g. a Tuono 1000 (early 2000s ones). I honestly think the 9's clutch is lighter than most bikes of that time. I did have a go on my mate's vfr800 the other week though and that was noticeably lighter tbf.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: Re: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
SirFallalot wrote:

But why? When, for only twice as much money, you could have this R1200 GS Adventure ..

do not buy anything from JRS - they are bloody useless

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mpg 80

Serious?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 31 Aug 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:
mpg 80

Serious?

80+ mpg my arse, 40 more like
mebbe 50mpg if you nurse it

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:07 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
SirFallalot wrote:

Now that I don't get Laughing ouchie wallet
I'd like to try off roading at some point on something half the size, all I'd use it for is jumping speed bumps

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Just on the clutch for a sec, i've got two nines (a C and a C2) and the clutches are both quite light. Like, so many times lighter than e.g. a Tuono 1000 (early 2000s ones). I honestly think the 9's clutch is lighter than most bikes of that time. I did have a go on my mate's vfr800 the other week though and that was noticeably lighter tbf.

Hmmm I'll consider giving it some more lube. Thumbs Up I get quite a bit of wrist pain from it when commuting that I didn't get in a sport bike with a lighter clutch but same riding position. My CB is even heavier, but due to the position it's not as much of a problem. The BMW is light asf.

WD Forte wrote:

80+ mpg my arse, 40 more like
mebbe 50mpg if you nurse it

Sorry I meant to say mpg at above 80MPH drops like lead on water compared to my riding buddies (cept the MT07, that was the only time I got better mpg than him Laughing).

Last edited by SirFallalot on 11:11 - 01 Sep 2023; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're pretty much guaranteed better MPG than me. My girl's very thirsty. Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Quote:
mpg 80

Serious?

I believe he's referring to the "mpg when above 80mph" rather than "above 80mpg"

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I believe he's referring to the "mpg when above 80mph" rather than "above 80mpg"

Seems obvious reading it now. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charging system on the water-cooled boxers is a royal pain when it takes a shit, requiring transmission removal to access the stator. Personally, I would look for a well maintained cam head (2010-2012) if I were in the market for a R1200RS

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 02 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: R1200RS Buying advice Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
Do you have any advice?

Looks just like the one I owned for 2-3 years. Loved it, and agree this looks like a good deal. I can't see any red flags myself

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:37 - 03 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now in my garage Laughing
Can't really complain, guy is buying a house, desperately needed the cash and seemed a fair share of grumpy Shocked

I can't say I'm overwhelmed, it doesn't have the kick of the latest engine with the variable timing (that left my head hazy after a test ride Shocked ), and definitely not of the K1300, it's only a 15hp diff.
But it does feel more refined than the 2012 R, and the 3h30m ride home was enough to know it'll be much better for the longer trips while, and is more comfortable at higher speeds while maintaining slow speed handling, which was what I missed most . I'm still holding onto my R though.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1