Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Domestic Electrical Inspection Query..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Domestic Electrical Inspection Query.. Reply with quote

Here's one for you..

Mate (honest!) has a rental property that failed an inspection recently - a few easy fixes but also 'Low IR reading on N-E connection at CU'

Now the test sheet shows individual IR readings (all > 999 MOhms) for L-L and L-E but there is no entry column for N-E readings, just this statement.. marked with a C2

Consequence £85 p/h plus VAT to investigate.. Thinking

My question is whether that test is even valid a 'global N-E insulation resistance check? What if there was something plugged into a socket can that skew readings?

My gut feeling is this is an open ended hunt for money. Thoughts?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Domestic Electrical Inspection Query.. Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Here's one for you..

Mate (honest!) has a rental property that failed an inspection recently - a few easy fixes but also 'Low IR reading on N-E connection at CU'

Now the test sheet shows individual IR readings (all > 999 MOhms) for L-L and L-E but there is no entry column for N-E readings, just this statement.. marked with a C2

My question is whether that test is even valid a 'global N-E insulation resistance check? What if there was something plugged into a socket can that skew readings?

A global IR check normally involves linking L&N together and testing to earth - that way appliances and devices don't affect the result. It's a pretty standard method I think. If they find a low IR to earth on one of the circuits, then they'll unplug everything, split the L&N link and test L to E, N to E and L to N to identify where the issue lies.

An EICR does not include low level (or indeed any) fault finding. It's a report on the state of the system at the time of test and a customer should expect to pay for additional investigation.

A C2 code means that there is a fault present that needs further investigation but that there is no actual danger at present (that would be coded a C1).

If it's something minor that they spot during testing, most electricians will fix it on the spot. If it requires further investigation then it's fair to charge for it - some of these faults can be pretty hard to find.

So it's a fair quote.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Domestic Electrical Inspection Query.. Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
A100man wrote:
Here's one for you..

A global IR check normally involves linking L&N together and testing to earth - that way appliances and devices don't affect the result. It's a pretty standard method I think. If they find a low IR to earth on one of the circuits, then they'll unplug everything, split the L&N link and test L to E, N to E and L to N to identify where the issue lies.

An EICR does not include low level (or indeed any) fault finding. It's a report on the state of the system at the time of test and a customer should expect to pay for additional investigation.

A C2 code means that there is a fault present that needs further investigation but that there is no actual danger at present (that would be coded a C1).

If it's something minor that they spot during testing, most electricians will fix it on the spot. If it requires further investigation then it's fair to charge for it - some of these faults can be pretty hard to find.

So it's a fair quote.

Thanks for the reply

For sure, I appreciate the requirement to pay for further fault tracing but the initial report seems vague. No test reading value and no indication which circuit - if you already have your IR tester out and have tested individual L-Es why not test individual N-Es..?

The inspection took less than 1 hr apparently and was 500 (inc VAT). Ok he is the one holding the inspector's cert and has the right tools so 'tis what it 'tis. The remedial works aspect though always seems to require a CU change Rolling Eyes

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure some 'electricians' use EICRs as a quick way to make money and use some suspect results. Less than an hour is suspicious - although for a very small installation it may be appropriate. A full EICR really should take longer as they need to check R1+R2 (live/earth cable resistances - really important for meeting disconnect times etc), IR, Earthing of appliances, polarity and a bit more and that's a lot of work involving removing circuits from breakers etc. I'd expect half a day minimum.

Your friend could ask another known reputable electrician but it won't be free and may involve a recommendation of a retest. If that turns out to be the case then a report to the governing body (NICEIC or whoever) is a good idea.

Recommending board changes is a common one but should only be a C3 at best (recommendation only) unless there are clear dangers or imminent ones. There are good reasons for upgrading, say a fuse based board without RCD protection to a newer standard board but the original board would still comply with BS7671 and unless you're letting a property would not be a requirement.

I should state that although I have good knowledge of the procedures and regs, I'm not an electrician.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, property is a threes bed semi as far as I know.

Easy-fix faults were a missing blank on main CU, no RCD provision for sockets to be used outside and wrong rated RCD in garage CU (100mA instead of 30mA)..

The main CU already has some RCD I think (I need to check) so I do think the replacement of that is a con.

As you say a full test requires a fair number (half?) of the socket front for be removed an checked and lighting too afaik, on the face of it this inspection seems lacking.

I'm similar though not as well versed in the procedure I'd say - I did once complete a 17th edition course but that was some years ago..

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so now I'm a bit more enlightened but also confused by the report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1u2RjQffU

This video shows the IR test procedure at the CU first testing between lives (L to N in other words) then L&N combined to Earth, (no separate L-E or N-E) -since as I also noted there are only two columns in teh test sheet for IR test result..

But in my mates case all the L-N and LN -E tests are recorded as good passes (>999 MOhm) , so how can there be a N-E low reading Confused

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Ok so now I'm a bit more enlightened but also confused by the report

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek1u2RjQffU

This video shows the IR test procedure at the CU first testing between lives (L to N in other words) then L&N combined to Earth, (no separate L-E or N-E) -since as I also noted there are only two columns in teh test sheet for IR test result..

But in my mates case all the L-N and LN -E tests are recorded as good passes (>999 MOhm) , so how can there be a N-E low reading Confused

It should have shown up on the LN-E readings and the value should have been recorded against the circuit.

The main CU may have been a split one with RCD protection on one side only. There's no actual requirement for RCD protection but it's stupid not to have it if it can be fitted - especially for external stuff.

This guy fucks around humorously a fair bit but really knows his stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqIL2Y6n-ec

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Update..

Site visit by self reveals oldish MCB CU with auxiliary RCD units for the garage feed and cooker.. also already installed were some socket front RCD power breakers to serve the garden, ones which the erstwhile inspector didn't even spot!

The company is now back tracking I believe on the CU update requirement, and IMO brings into question the competence of tester.

There remains a question mark over the RCD requirement for the garage which is currently 100mA but the tester said should be 30mA, but could that be a retrospective value..?

Interestingly UK power networks had to renew the connection into the house as the main fuse blew in February and stated it was a TN-CS in theri paperwork left, but the tester identified it as TN-S..

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Ok Update..

Site visit by self reveals oldish MCB CU with auxiliary RCD units for the garage feed and cooker.. also already installed were some socket front RCD power breakers to serve the garden, ones which the erstwhile inspector didn't even spot!

The company is now back tracking I believe on the CU update requirement, and IMO brings into question the competence of tester.

There remains a question mark over the RCD requirement for the garage which is currently 100mA but the tester said should be 30mA, but could that be a retrospective value..?

Interestingly UK power networks had to renew the connection into the house as the main fuse blew in February and stated it was a TN-CS in theri paperwork left, but the tester identified it as TN-S..

It sounds like an iffy IECR. The external sockets should all have been tested for polarity even if that was with a test plug and that should have enabled the tester to identify that they were the built in RCD type.

100mA RCDs are usually used to permit discrimination between the 30mA RCD in the main CU and an RCD in the remote DB but without knowing the setup it's impossible to say. The other place a 100mA RCD is used is on a TT setup but that would also be a time delay type. That could be the case if the supply earth wasn't exported to the remote db and an earth rod used instead.

Identifying a TN-C-S as a TN-S? The DNO usually slaps labels on the supply head stating that it's a PME installation and a simple check would show that the local earth was directly connected to the supply neutral.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 06 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

It sounds like an iffy IECR. The external sockets should all have been tested for polarity even if that was with a test plug and that should have enabled the tester to identify that they were the built in RCD type.

100mA RCDs are usually used to permit discrimination between the 30mA RCD in the main CU and an RCD in the remote DB but without knowing the setup it's impossible to say. The other place a 100mA RCD is used is on a TT setup but that would also be a time delay type. That could be the case if the supply earth wasn't exported to the remote db and an earth rod used instead.

Identifying a TN-C-S as a TN-S? The DNO usually slaps labels on the supply head stating that it's a PME installation and a simple check would show that the local earth was directly connected to the supply neutral.

Indeed, I'm quite enjoying researching this and dusted off my on site guide and admittedly out of date 17th edition book from 2010 (time flies). Also enjoying your you tube guy, it says something that I'm watching that rather than telly Embarassed

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ze would have been way lower on a TNCS system than a TT or TNS, even without a simple visual check as you did,

Any circuit not 50mm or below the surface, obviously surface conduit is different, needs a RCD anyway now,

What was the tripping time for the 100mA RCD circuit?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

100mA RCDs are usually used to permit discrimination between the 30mA RCD in the main CU and an RCD in the remote DB but without knowing the setup it's impossible to say.

Ah so now I have some more pictures and teh Garage supply is as follows..

Main CU via 20A MCB to 100mA RCD inside the house feeds via SWA underground to the garage where there's a DB/CU fitted with a 30mA RCD plus one 6A and one 20A MCB)... suspect the erstwhile tester didn't make it as far as the garage..

Earthing system not clear to me as UK PN recently put it all in a plastic enclosure with a fat SWA in and tails and an earth wire out

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Islander wrote:

100mA RCDs are usually used to permit discrimination between the 30mA RCD in the main CU and an RCD in the remote DB but without knowing the setup it's impossible to say.

Ah so now I have some more pictures and teh Garage supply is as follows..

Main CU via 20A MCB to 100mA RCD inside the house feeds via SWA underground to the garage where there's a DB/CU fitted with a 30mA RCD plus one 6A and one 20A MCB)... suspect the erstwhile tester didn't make it as far as the garage..

Earthing system not clear to me as UK PN recently put it all in a plastic enclosure with a fat SWA in and tails and an earth wire out

No PME stickers on the supply head? That'll probably be concentric rather than SWA by the way. The only sure way to tell, as bugeye_bob said is with a loop tester to determine Ze. If it's under 0.35 ohms then it's TN-C-S, if it's higher than that but under 0.8 ohms then it's TN-S. The EICR tester should have recorded Ze by the way...

So the RCDs have been designed to provide discrimination - nothing wrong with that as long as they both passed testing. This, however (along with eliminating nuisance tripping) is where modern boards with RCBOs score.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 07 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPdate 2

The shysters have thrown the towel in.. back tracked completely and
are prepared to sign it off once some blanks have been fitted.

They are saying the presence of an RCD socket they didn't spot will have thrown out the N-E IR reading, but does that explain how they got
a good L - E reading? Possibly - I don't know enough about that.

The earthing bit wasn't relevant really just a point of interest but someone (UKPN or tester) has identified wrong,.. Ze noted as 0.6 for the record.

Many thanks for all the input - mate is happy and about 1k better off. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:51 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lectric can be risky.
It can cause a fiyah.
Plate someone.
Cause a Power Outage which can effect more sensitive equipment.

Even the 12v shite.

We are more reliant on electricity in today's modern world so stuff has to be Pucka.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1