Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sneering at BMWs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Sneering at BMWs Reply with quote

went to a bike meet the other day, guys bike was playing up as he arrived, little short guy who could touch the floor on his whatever it was bike, Anyway, he comes over with a sneer and looking at me in disdain, said his bike had stopped working and he was sure that me having a BMW GSA would have the tools to sort it out. As it happens I did and quickly fixed his bike, guy didn't know to check battery terminals every now and then. No thanks, no your a life saver comment, just gave me back my tools and turned away.
This has also happened when I've helped people with punctures, sneering because I carry, like a lot of GSA riders do, things to keep us going on the road.

Just an observation as it's happened a number of times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like homophobic hate crime to me

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:47 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude is a dick, doesn't mean everyone is like that.

I am not a particular fan of BMWs though, especially GS's. People say they are wonderful, the best thing since the invention of the motorcycle, but I won't ever find out because the damn things are too tall. I can also buy a bike that is lighter, more powerful and equally comfortable, and not have to worry about looking like Charley Booringman.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

0ne of them twatted my tail pipe because he was too.stupid to realise how wide his engine barrels and heads stuck out.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

How apposite: "...maybe we'll gonna run into a bear or an angry pack of BMW GS riders!" - a line in the YT video I'm currently watching Very Happy

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah .. i know a BMW rider aswell that carries a fcuk tonne of tools ... common thread here .. why would that be ?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of thanks was unacceptable. Hardly anyone's got tools. He surmised correctly that you had tools, and after getting help he then decided to be rude. Just out of interest, what sort of bike did he have?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet he smelt of wee

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:46 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two BMWs and there's only one tool on my bikes.

Me. Cool

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never ask for advice from or give "helpful" feedback to Skudd or MCN now. Moreover, I'm going back to carrying a toolkit everywhere. Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Sneering at BMWs Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
went to a bike meet the other day, guys bike was playing up as he arrived, little short guy who could touch the floor on his whatever it was bike, Anyway, he comes over with a sneer and looking at me in disdain, said his bike had stopped working and he was sure that me having a BMW GSA would have the tools to sort it out. As it happens I did and quickly fixed his bike, guy didn't know to check battery terminals every now and then. No thanks, no your a life saver comment, just gave me back my tools and turned away.
This has also happened when I've helped people with punctures, sneering because I carry, like a lot of GSA riders do, things to keep us going on the road.

Just an observation as it's happened a number of times.

Ngl that's shite of the guy not to thank you. I've had one instance of being saved by another biker and one instance of saving another biker myself.

One time I got a puncture and a taxi driver who was a biker pulled over beside my while I was stuck, got out his tire weld and air pump, got the leak fixed enough that I could get it to J&S and use a proper plug to fix it. I was very thankful to the guy.

Time I helped someone was a guy on his lexmoto the fuel pipe had come off and he had nothing to fix it back with. I pulled over on my bike, spoke to him, then went to a wee hardware shop and got some jubilee clips and took them back to the lexmoto guy. One of the assortment fitted, got his hose clamped back on then was able to set off again. Wee guy was very thankful to me.

I've always liked that bikers will always tend to help out other bikers. Cagers don't help out other cagers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:02 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once offered a guy in a layebye who was clearly struggling to fix something on his harley with a leatherman a loan of some tools and just got a "You wont have anything on that that'll fix this bike.". The implication in his tone being "that bike" was clearly inferior to his harley.

So I just sat and watched him struggle. I was on my 350 bullet so I had a wide range of both imperial and metric tools, probably enough to strip and rebuild his whole bike. He was still at it and totally avoiding eye contact when I'd finished my bacon roll and left.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sort to turn down an adjustable spanner 'cos it's not marked in Imperial measures Rolling Eyes

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced the rudeness too, when I stopped for a crashed rider once. There are probably a number of factors at play there, but probably the most important one is the "biker" thing. Some people think motorcycles are a way of life, or a sign of manliness or toughness. Those sorts will deeply resent anyone who shows up that they might not be competent and know absolutely everything about bikes. Don't know if you're familiar with Delboy's Garage on Youtube, but it will be that sort of person. Really the dregs. Low ability, high confidence, think they're the main character in life's play. Just imagine the arrogance and condescension you'd get if you stopped for someone like that. You'd hand him a screwdriver and he'd probably end up saying something like: "You probably don't know this, but this thing here is a screwdriver, and when you turn it right, the screw tightens, and when you turn it left, it loosens. I hope that was some help. See? You learned something today!" Riding a BMW GS marks you out as not a "real biker". They're a man's man and they know everything, and you're a wannabe. How dare you help them out, etc.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:06 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped to help an old boy on a an old Brit bike early one morning. He had a puncture and was stuck on the hard shouder of the A2. The converation went like this:

"Got a puncture mate?"
"Looks like it don't it"
"You want some help?"
"The RAC pumped it up hours ago but it's flat again and 've been here 3 hours"
"So, do you want my help?"
"I don't know what you'd be able to do"
"If you want, I can put some air in it. It might not get you home but it'll get you off this road and to a garage"
"Well yeah if you want"

So I stuck 2 canisters of CO2 in his tyre and told him to get rolling. Even after that I didn't get a thank you.

Now, this didn't phase me because I grew up with my grandparents and my grandad was a gruff old monkeyhanger who could have been this guy's twin in terms of grumpiness, but nonetheless he was a rude old sod. Hopefully, he learned to treat people who were trying to help with a little more grace but I doubt it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Hopefully, he learned to treat people who were trying to help with a little more grace but I doubt it.

Some people are only happy when they're miserable!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
yeah .. i know a BMW rider aswell that carries a fcuk tonne of tools ... common thread here .. why would that be ?

Just a few basics, most handy being a Multitool cheap £10 rip off of a Leatherman. Being self sufficient when bumping up and down curbs and going through the odd puddle is a common thing with GSA riders. Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I saw you on your GS I'd make assumptions about you which are probably unfounded.

If you saw me on whatever project I picked up for £400 on Ebay and am shaking down after spending £2K to £3K on parts on it, you would probably make unfounded assumptions about me.

There probably is no overlap of interest at all between us anyway, despite both of us being on bikes.

Therefore, the best course of action is to not help anyone. The world has changed. When bikes were unreliable and everyone was using them just to get to work and back as basic transportation, there was that common ground at least.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last person i stopped to help was an old boy on a 500 Velocette whod broken down just off the motorway.
between us we managed to figure out that the electric starter hed had fitted wasnt doing its job.
watching him trying to kick it over i could see why he wanted some electrical help getting it started Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thi is boiling down to a who would you stop for thread..right?

a) Deliveroo scooter bois - nah.

b) Young ol' boys on chinko 125s - probably

c) Japs /Eyeties over 125cc - yes

d) BMWs (non GS) - yes

e) BMWs GS - hmm would depend if I'm having a good day.

f) Harleys with stoopid exhausts or anyone who looks like they've been to the BikeShed or Baffle Haus- never!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
So thi is boiling down to a who would you stop for thread..right?

a) Deliveroo scooter bois - nah.

b) Young ol' boys on chinko 125s - probably

c) Japs /Eyeties over 125cc - yes

d) BMWs (non GS) - yes

e) BMWs GS - hmm would depend if I'm having a good day.

f) Harleys with stoopid exhausts or anyone who looks like they've been to the BikeShed or Baffle Haus- never!

Personally I would stop to help any of them

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

Personally I would stop to help any of them

Well yeah in truth I probably would too. I actually know more wimmin than men who ride Harleys..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine this situation then: you stop for someone after many vehicles had passed them by. They explain the problem and they aren't rude. "Thanks for stopping", then say. You make small talk about their bike. Then, you begin to help them out in whatever way (maybe hand them a tyre pump). Seeing that you're already helping and perhaps as a way to get praise/brownie points with their passenger, a driver then stops. "Need a hand?", they ask (in full knowledge it's redundant) and the rider you're helping out then starts blathering on about what a wonderful world it is where everyone helps each other, as if the driver would have been willing to stop anyway if the situation wasn't already under control. Diluting gratitude until it's absolutely meaningless. The driver talks about the (maybe fictional) Harley or Brit bike he used to have, or has in the garage. He goes away feeling good because all he wanted was to be told he was a hero and some kind of status recognition... He just wanted the feel-good brain chemicals from the encounter (like a jolt from an upvote on Facebook). This whole made-up scenario doesn't seem far off to me from how things are. Just my opinion, but I think it's pretty harmful to be prepared for a world that no longer exists.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud, have you ever considered meditation?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Imagine this situation then: you stop for someone after many vehicles had passed them by. They explain the problem and they aren't rude. "Thanks for stopping", then say. You make small talk about their bike. Then, you begin to help them out in whatever way (maybe hand them a tyre pump). Seeing that you're already helping and perhaps as a way to get praise/brownie points with their passenger, a driver then stops. "Need a hand?", they ask (in full knowledge it's redundant) and the rider you're helping out then starts blathering on about what a wonderful world it is where everyone helps each other, as if the driver would have been willing to stop anyway if the situation wasn't already under control. Diluting gratitude until it's absolutely meaningless. The driver talks about the (maybe fictional) Harley or Brit bike he used to have, or has in the garage. He goes away feeling good because all he wanted was to be told he was a hero and some kind of status recognition... He just wanted the feel-good brain chemicals from the encounter (like a jolt from an upvote on Facebook). This whole made-up scenario doesn't seem far off to me from how things are. Just my opinion, but I think it's pretty harmful to be prepared for a world that no longer exists.

You most definitely inhabit a different world to me. Have you considered a username change? Maybe Marvin?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2