Sneering at BMWs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
If I saw you on your GS I'd make assumptions about you which are probably unfounded.

If you saw me on whatever project I picked up for £400 on Ebay and am shaking down after spending £2K to £3K on parts on it, you would probably make unfounded assumptions about me.

There probably is no overlap of interest at all between us anyway, despite both of us being on bikes.

Therefore, the best course of action is to not help anyone. The world has changed. When bikes were unreliable and everyone was using them just to get to work and back as basic transportation, there was that common ground at least.

So you;d only help people on the basis that you might make a friend and not because it's the right thing to do? Laughing

I broke down a few weeks ago after a wire rubbed through and I blew a fuse. I was only there 5 minutes and a guy stopped in his van and gave me and the bike a lift home (I had barely left my home town tbh and was about to start pushing it). He had an enduro bike in the van and was on his way to go ride and could easily have decided I wasn't his problem. Couldn't thank him enough tbh

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've stopped to help in the past, but these days I think help isn't that helpful, for the helper or the helpee. If someone stops to help you, it reduces your ability to think clearly and solve the problem and get yourself out of the situation. If your bike is broken you've got options. You have your phone to call for recovery, you have your tools, and you can try different things. If you don't have anything, you can try hiding the bike somewhere and taking a walk to the next town or village.

I saw a post on Nextdoor recently where someone was warning others about someone knocking on their door. In the daytime. This is absolutely for real. Not trying to hide himself, just knocking and calling out to see if anyone was there, and he even checked around the neighbours (you could see all this from the very clear doorbell camera footage posted by the homeowner). So why the warning? Well, he was a man of about 50, he looked a bit rough (didn't look obviously homeless though) and it was a bad part of town.

What if that man needed help (e.g. he'd lost something, or someone was chasing him)?
What if that man was trying to give the homeowner some help (e.g. "your parcel was delivered to my address by mistake, so here it is")?

In a way it's kind of regrettable, but that's just the way the world is now. If he'd been wearing a suit, the Nextdoor warning would not have been issued by the paranoid homeowner. Likewise, on a bike you can get help proportional to your youth and presentability. If a kid needs help, a decent person would probably provide it. But as you get older you are your only help. So, if some dude is on a BMW GS or something and needs help, then it's reasonable to expect gratitude, a couple of beers or whatever, but the thing is, you've already got enough beers.

Just saying all this to explain my thinking on this. Who's going to help you when you need help? You hear of old guys dying alone in their flats and nobody noticing for weeks. It's just give and take, business, etc. It's not personal. In order to not overthink things and make mistaken off-the-cuff judgments, I just think it's more sensible to refrain from offering help.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Well, I've stopped to help in the past, but these days I think help isn't that helpful, for the helper or the helpee. If someone stops to help you, it reduces your ability to think clearly and solve the problem and get yourself out of the situation. If your bike is broken you've got options. You have your phone to call for recovery, you have your tools, and you can try different things. If you don't have anything, you can try hiding the bike somewhere and taking a walk to the next town or village.

I saw a post on Nextdoor recently where someone was warning others about someone knocking on their door. In the daytime. This is absolutely for real. Not trying to hide himself, just knocking and calling out to see if anyone was there, and he even checked around the neighbours (you could see all this from the very clear doorbell camera footage posted by the homeowner). So why the warning? Well, he was a man of about 50, he looked a bit rough (didn't look obviously homeless though) and it was a bad part of town.

What if that man needed help (e.g. he'd lost something, or someone was chasing him)?
What if that man was trying to give the homeowner some help (e.g. "your parcel was delivered to my address by mistake, so here it is")?

In a way it's kind of regrettable, but that's just the way the world is now. If he'd been wearing a suit, the Nextdoor warning would not have been issued by the paranoid homeowner. Likewise, on a bike you can get help proportional to your youth and presentability. If a kid needs help, a decent person would probably provide it. But as you get older you are your only help. So, if some dude is on a BMW GS or something and needs help, then it's reasonable to expect gratitude, a couple of beers or whatever, but the thing is, you've already got enough beers.

Just saying all this to explain my thinking on this. Who's going to help you when you need help? You hear of old guys dying alone in their flats and nobody noticing for weeks. It's just give and take, business, etc. It's not personal. In order to not overthink things and make mistaken off-the-cuff judgments, I just think it's more sensible to refrain from offering help.

Mate what? Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:28 - 13 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't help people because he's scared. People won't help him because he's a cunt.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 13 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
He won't help people because he's scared. People won't help him because he's a cunt.

OK Robby, that's an interesting pov (or just interesting bollocks). What exactly do you think I'm afraid of?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helping people is natural. You just need to watch out for the psychopaths.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:26 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Helping people is natural. You just need to watch out for the psychopaths.

Regional issue. We don't have it down here Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 08:07 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
What exactly do you think I'm afraid of?

People knocking on your door who aren't wearing a suit, by the look of it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the people in suits are the psychopaths Laughing

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a hit out of helping someone, it makes me feel good. I don't care about the person, just that I feel good for helping them.

I have had help a good few times helping me pick my bike up when I drop it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

People knocking on your door who aren't wearing a suit, by the look of it.

It wasn't me. It was a post I saw on Nextdoor (a website for local busybodies) where someone was alarmed that a stranger had knocked on their door, and wanted to warn other people about it (for no good reason).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2