BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance - NCD Ripoff?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 07:16 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Insurance - NCD Ripoff? Reply with quote

This is a bit complicated but I'll try to keep it as brief as possible.

I had an MT10 insured with AA (insurance renewal due May with 4 years NCD).

I also had a CB500 previously insured with Bennetts (insurance expired March with 2 NCD).

The two sets of NCD were earned from completely different policies running side-by-side. At no point have I attempted to use the same NCDs earned from the same policy on multiple bikes.

I then sold the MT10 and bought a new Multistrada in March, around about the same time the policy on the CB500 expired.

AA would not let me transfer my soon-to-become 4 years NCD policy to the new Multistrada (a common ripoff stunt pulled by insurance companies) so rather than cancel that policy on the MT10 and lose the 10 months out of 12 I had accumulated towards the 4th year's NCD, I instead decided to swap the vehicle on the policy to the CB500 (whose insurance policy had just expired) to see out the remaining 2 months so that I could earn that 4th year NCD.

I then took the 2 years NCD from the original CB500 Bennetts policy, and took out a new TPTF policy as cheaply as possible with Lexham for the new Multistrada, with the intention of cancelling it after 2 months, when the old MT10 (now CB500) AA policy comes to fruition of 4 years NCD, and start a fresh policy on the new Multistrada with the newly acquired 4 years NCD.

I knew I'd take a hit on cancellation charges but I thought it would be worth the financial hit in the long run (and also worth the risk having a £30k bike insured TPFT for 2 months) to get the 4th year NCD in 2 months time rather than setting me back to square one with a new policy with 3 years NCD.

I cancelled the 2 years NCD TPFT Multistrada Lexham policy in May and immediately took out another policy with Lexham (this time fully comp) but used (or so I thought) the 4 years NCD from the just-expired MT10/CB500 AA policy.

Lexham kindly did not charge me the cancellation fee on the old policy because the new policy I took out was with them as well, I assume the refund I got was just pro-rata for the 10 months I hadn't used.

However, after sending off my 4 years MT10/CB500 AA proof of NCD (renewal document from AA stating 4 years NCD on the CB500) to Lexham through their online portal, I got this email:

Thank you for your email.

I have looked into your previous policy that you had with us LIC/MC/XXXXXXX and that had been set up with 2 years no claims bonus that you sent in proof of from Bennetts, that we accepted onto that policy. As this policy was cancelled we can look to use this for your new policy.

I have quoted to reduce the no claims bonus down to the 2 years we have proof of, which you will find attached to this email.

We cannot accept the renewal quote from the AA as it is for a different vehicle registration. If you have the 4 years no claims bonus available to use from the AA, please contact them and ask for your official no claims bonus proof and send this into us.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us on 01379 646 504 and press option 6.

This was accompanied by a letter attached by PDF kindly telling me to pay them an additional £390.38 for the adjustment.

Am I wrong or is this complete nonsense? I've never heard of NCD being locked in to specific vehicles before! Apart from which, BOTH sets of NCD are for the same bloody bike anyway (the old CB500)!

Are they pulling a fast one or is this actually a thing that NCD can only be carried over to the same vehicle? Surely not!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what you mean when you say the AA wouldn't let you transfer the NCD from the MT10 to the Multistrada. You have a policy with the AA with 4 years NCD that just so happens to have the MT10 as the principle vehicle. You would amend the policy to the new vehicle and pay an admin fee and some pro-rata difference but unless the underwriter has a pathological hatred of Ducatis then I would suggest you were talking to a moron at the other end of the phone.

I've never heard of this being a "common stunt" for a policy that's part way through. Granted it can get complicated when a policy isn't renewed and you let some time go by before taking out a new policy.

As to proving the NCD it'd probably be easier to take out a policy for the CB500 which you can prove was the last vehicle on the AA policy and then after you're sure the policy is correctly in place amend the policy with the Multistrada details. Not saying it'll be either the cheapest or most efficient way to get it done but it requires less arguing with "computer says no" eejits.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 02:04 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't understand what you mean when you say the AA wouldn't let you transfer the NCD from the MT10 to the Multistrada. You have a policy with the AA with 4 years NCD that just so happens to have the MT10 as the principle vehicle. You would amend the policy to the new vehicle and pay an admin fee and some pro-rata difference but unless the underwriter has a pathological hatred of Ducatis then I would suggest you were talking to a moron at the other end of the phone.

I've never heard of this being a "common stunt" for a policy that's part way through. Granted it can get complicated when a policy isn't renewed and you let some time go by before taking out a new policy.

As to proving the NCD it'd probably be easier to take out a policy for the CB500 which you can prove was the last vehicle on the AA policy and then after you're sure the policy is correctly in place amend the policy with the Multistrada details. Not saying it'll be either the cheapest or most efficient way to get it done but it requires less arguing with "computer says no" eejits.

Sorry maybe I phrased it badly. It's not the NCD that AA wouldn't let me transfer. It's the bike they wouldn't let me change from my old MT10 to my new Multistrada.

This isn't the first time I've had an insurer tell me they won't cover my new bike on a mid-term adjustment because the underwriter won't take the risk for whatever reason (whether that be because it's a higher value bike, higher risk bike of being stolen, higher risk bike of being written off, higher displacement/power or higher risky bike type/style) whatever the reasons are I've had it a number of times now where they've refused to cover a new bike and I've had to cancel and take out a new policy.

My boy was insured on a CMX500 and they wouldn't let him change the bike on cover to a CBR500R which is the same bloody engine and power output.

I no longer own the CB500 so that's not an option. They just need to stop being such a bunch of incompetent cretins. They won't accept my 4 years NCD from AA because it's for the old CB500 and not my new Multistrada, but they're happy to take my 2 years NCD from Bennetts (and promptly demand an additional £390.38 from me) which is for the same bloody CB500 as the 4 years AA NCD. WTF?!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:40 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get different NCD for different bike policies?

Your NCD is yours.
If you have 6 years NCD you have 6 years NCD.

It doesn't matter when you bought the policy or for what bike.

If you claim it will/can affect future policies for any vehicle.

Underwriters do not discriminate between NCD on bikes/cars.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 03:45 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Your NCD is yours.

I don't think this is correct.

If you have more than one vehicle insured at the same time, you earn NCD for each one. I had a 2nd insurance policy for two years running which is how I was able to earn 2 years NCD in addition to another set of 4 years NCD.

You cannot combine them and you cannot use the same set of NCD on more than one vehicle.

If you have a claim it only affects the NCD on the policy you claimed on (unless you have protected NCD). You still have to declare accidents/claims on your next premium, but the NCD is not necessarily affected (depending on whether the accident was on the policy with the NCD you are trying to use or not).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes more sense. You have a policy with a front man (the AA) but they farm the work out to underwriters. A particular underwriter has a particular appetite for risk which might not include your new bike. This is the way insurance has... well "worked" isn't the right word... existed in this country for a fair while. I suppose the fault lies in the underlying financial instrument which is a year long contract. What insurance needs is a dynamic entrant on the market selling 30 day rolling contacts (to take a leaf out of the mobile phone game.)

Anyoo, as to two bikes costing vastly differing amounts. From my recent experience the Duke 390 would have cost me at least £100 per year more to insure than my Vitpilen 401. An XSR 700 is cheaper to insure than an MT07 and so on. Sorry, that's statistics! Red cars have more crashes than green cars Smile

Finally, AFAIK the NCD is applied on a policy by policy basis. Lexham not accepting proof of NCD 'cos it was for a different bike is just dumb. Either you've made a claim in the last 4 years or you haven't; whether you were "not claiming" on a Honda or Ducati is neither here nor there. You may have to resort to calling them to wrangle this. I would suggest meditating first before making the attempt Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUCAUDI wrote:
MCN wrote:

Your NCD is yours.

I don't think this is correct.

If you have more than one vehicle insured at the same time, you earn NCD for each one. I had a 2nd insurance policy for two years running which is how I was able to earn 2 years NCD in addition to another set of 4 years NCD.

You cannot combine them and you cannot use the same set of NCD on more than one vehicle.

You are right I did this very thing when I had my turbocharged bike. I had 2 policies running with different accrued NCD so that if I had to, I could use the NCD from my work bike to insure my tubo bike come renewal time.

You cannot combine then, so far as I know.

I think I'm reading that your issue is not being able to do a mid-term trnsfer from MT10 to Multistrada is that right? If so, then this is very common and I have had it happen to me too. When I queried it the reply was that it wasn't just a matter of paying more money for the extra risk, that insurers quote based on a range of criteria for any given policy and the new bike doesn't fall within the criteria of the policy in force so they simply couldn't quote on it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Your NCD is yours.

Nope, I have two sets of NCD accrued on the 125 and the 650. 125 has an extra year accrued.

Then I also have 6 years NCD on my Tesla and 2 years business NCD on company car policy.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 18:04 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

<SMUGMODE>

https://youtu.be/NqSYhcUoocg?si=FvDLWxt_7X5LWDRr

</SMUGMODE>

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:03 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You can't use your car NCD on a bike, and your NCD is only valid on one policy iirc

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have van NCD (12 years) bike NCD (9 years) and car NCD (20+ years) all on separate policies. This is the way.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have van NCD (12 years) bike NCD (9 years) and car NCD (20+ years) all on separate policies. This is the way.

You must have started biking about the same time as me 2014?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
grr666 wrote:

You must have started biking about the same time as me 2014?

Yes and no. I finally got around to doing my test around then. But rode a lot (usually illegally) in my younger days.
Rode my first bike on a beach at 7 years old, used to regularly borrow my old mans 400/4 with sidecar when he was
in bed asleep after a nightshift. Had a Motobecane Mobyx for a while until it was stolen, then ran a C50 cub me and a
schoolmate bought for £15 and a pair of iceskates from another mates older brother and fannied around on that after
school, (we also bought a Capri from the same lad and went joyriding in that at lunchtimes) we only had 1 crash hat
so we took it in turns to wear that even though we were both on the bike most of the time. At 16 shared a Honda SH50
pizza bike that my old man bought new from Len Wade motorcycles in Dagenham with him, which was stolen out of
our front garden and eventually found in a park, at 17 had a CM125 which never had an L plate on it from day 1
because I carried passengers too often Laughing, about that time I worked at Castle Sports Motorcycles at Dagenham
Heathway as a Saturday boy and got a chance to ride all sorts of odds and sods while I worked there, then at 19 I
learned to drive and that was that for over 20 years.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 12 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'll put it another way.

If you have a claim you MUST notify the insurance company you want to buy insurance from.

They 'can' load the policy to offset they're possible increased risk.

That's is wot I was on about.

I had five vehicles on the road at one point. They all suffered the benefit of increased premiums coz someone had collected two awards for speeding.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 05:49 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone still interested - it seems I finally got some sense out of Lexham after speaking with them on the phone earlier.

Despite me replying to their last email pointing out the ridiculous nature of them refusing my 4 years NCD because it's for a different vehicle registration, but then accepting my other set of NCD (2 years) which is also for the same registration as the 4 years NCD they were rejecting - they completely ignored this and instead yesterday sent me a lovely email saying my policy would be cancelled on 25th September.

I called them up and someone was able to explain to me (not made clear on any previous correspondence) that, while a renewal proposal from previous insurer is usually acceptable, because it was for a different bike to the one I have insured with Lexham, they need proof that my old policy was not renewed with my previous insurer and therefore my 4 years NCD being used on multiple policies.

So in short - I needed a proof of NCD from AA (confirming that the policy had expired and not been renewed), which AA did not send to me at the time.

I've since got that very expeditiously from AA and forwarded that on to Lexham.

I assume that's now the end of the matter.

So just a reminder to anyone this may affect in the future - a renewal proposal from previous insurer is no good if the vehicle has changed on the new policy and you are also moving to a different insurance company (you need a proper proof on NCD from previous insurer). A scenario I imagine is not that uncommon as many people wait until the end of a policy to buy/insure a new bike to save being raped by mid-term adjustments.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things.

1 - don't assume it's the end of it, get it confirmed, if they cancel the policy you'll have to declare yes to the "have you ever had a policy cancelled" question

2 - why would it be a renewal, you've changed something, in this the bike, it's always going to be a new policy.

Glad it's sorted, followed with some interest as I'm thinking of a 2nd car which would be 2 parallel polices.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 14:49 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Two things.

1 - don't assume it's the end of it, get it confirmed, if they cancel the policy you'll have to declare yes to the "have you ever had a policy cancelled" question

2 - why would it be a renewal, you've changed something, in this the bike, it's always going to be a new policy.

Glad it's sorted, followed with some interest as I'm thinking of a 2nd car which would be 2 parallel polices.

1) Yep thanks for pointing that out! I've got it on my calendar to chase them up around 23rd/24th to make sure it's been accepted. Should be the answer be "no" at this point I can always just pay the money they are asking for and try to get a refund at a later date. Oddly, though, it's not the £390.38 they're asking for that bothers me the most, it's not being able to get my 4 years NCD up to 5 at the end of this policy.

2) Just to be clear - What they were saying is that if I had tried to re-insure the old bike on the new policy with the new company, then the renewal proposal would have been sufficient. But because the new policy with the new company was for a different bike from that stated on the renewal proposal from the old company, they needed the proper "proof of NCD" that you're supposed to get from your old insurer once the policy has expired confirming that the policy was never renewed and that your current NCD is X amount, so that they can be sure you didn't re-insure that old bike with the old company and are then trying to pull a fast one and use that renewal proposal to get use the same set of NCD on another bike simultaneously (as 'sets' of NCD can only be used on one vehicle at a time). Which makes sense if you think about it, they just failed to explain this in their initial correspondence. Had the renewal for the new bike at the start of the new policy been with the same old insurance company, this wouldn't have been an issue either because clearly they would have been privy to the information as to whether the old bike was still on cover with them or not.

In a nutshell, if these three conditions all apply:
New policy
New bike
New insurance company

Then a renewal proposal isn't good enough, you need the proof of NCD from the previous insurer (which I guess for most people never becomes an an issue as this usually gets sent to you automatically when your old policy expires, and even if the renewal proposal was sent to the new company instead of the proof of NCD, the new company would usually have the competence to explain this to the client and ask for the correct document instead, unfortunately in my case AA never sent out my proof of NCD and Lexham were too incompetent to explain that a proper proof of NCD was required, they just kept banging on about not being able to accept it because the vehicle registration was different).
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1