Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Going quad biking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kmo86
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Going quad biking Reply with quote

Just wondering what to expect when driving a quad bike for first time? I have had a car license from 2007 and had a car most of that time. Me and my partner are going to Spain in just over a week and he has booked us in to have a 3 hour ride on a quad (can’t wait) you do need a full driving licence and U.K. licences are accepted. Which means only me will be able to do any of the driving the quad as my partner doesn’t have a car license. Which suits me perfectly as I know if he was able to he would want to drive it as well. We need to be there 20 minutes before so I can get used to driving the quad before going onto the roads. I’ve been reading about driving quads and a lot of people say they are easy to tip over so you need to go round corners slowly. Is there anything else I need to be aware of apart from the driving on opposite side of the road to what I’m used to? Should be easy to remember that as I’ll be following someone else. I think this could involve driving in mountains as well.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hammer it to death. I've only been on a quad once so my opinion is useless. You've got to be pretty reckless to roll it. If you are going fast enough around a corner to roll it then oh well. The best bet is to hire a Fireblade. Smile.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:30 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll never fall over so you can ride like it's a car so wheelie and corner like it's on rails.

FFS

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It'll never fall over so you can ride like it's a car so wheelie and corner like it's on rails.

FFS

Not true at all, I use one every day for work and they are potentially more dangerous than a bike on slopes or cornering too fast.
If it tips over you will be lucky to get off unhurt.
You need to use bodyweight to stop it tipping on slopes or cornering and higher speed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:40 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No fucking shit......

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:28 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Going quad biking Reply with quote

Kmo86 wrote:
Just wondering what to expect when driving a quad bike for first time? I have had a car license from 2007 and had a car most of that time. Me and my partner are going to Spain in just over a week and he has booked us in to have a 3 hour ride on a quad (can’t wait) you do need a full driving licence and U.K. licences are accepted. Which means only me will be able to do any of the driving the quad as my partner doesn’t have a car license. Which suits me perfectly as I know if he was able to he would want to drive it as well. We need to be there 20 minutes before so I can get used to driving the quad before going onto the roads. I’ve been reading about driving quads and a lot of people say they are easy to tip over so you need to go round corners slowly. Is there anything else I need to be aware of apart from the driving on opposite side of the road to what I’m used to? Should be easy to remember that as I’ll be following someone else. I think this could involve driving in mountains as well.

WCPGW?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour has CFmoto 650 2 seater quad and its pretty planted so you'd have to ride like a mad eejit to tip that over on a paved road
It's also speed limited to 38 mph so as above.

If you're going off road then it's as Doggone says cos that's a different skill set you won't learn in 10 minutes so go easy.
It can and will roll and kill/injure you if you're stupid or inexperienced

As I recall Rik Mayall seriously injured himself on one.

If you ride it gently and just enjoy the ride, it'll be fine

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:51 - 10 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's physically quite hard work to steer them so be prepared for that. Same principals as a car or bike though, slow in, fast out and look where you want to go.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term Quad Bike really gets on my tits. Bike comes from bicycle, meaning two wheels, quad means four, so you can't have a fourtwocycle.
Trike is ok as this is a tricycle, perhaps calling the small car with handlebars a Quak may be the answer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 11 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good bits - Better than the fat tyred trikes that were banned that preceeded them. They were horrible.

Bad bits - Not nice on tarmac in my view. Also I feel way more vulnerable than on a bike but I suspect most of that is because I have a quick ride and everytime - fcuk that. Laughing Maybe with more practice.....

I did enjoy myself on Weston-s-Mare beach on one though.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:48 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrible things to ride on road, but if you can rag someone elses quad around a farm track with careless abandon it's brilliant.

That becomes a "How much air can I catch without breaking my arse" event.

You have to be a bit careful but they're seriously capable off road machines for gunning everywhere and hoping you don't scalextric off the track and break in half like a cold bounty bar.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:22 - 01 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve ridden an ATV in the Picos in Spain and a UTV (side-by-side) in Hells Revenge, Moab, Utah a couple of times and once up the Imogene Pass in the Rockies.

I much preferred the UTV’s for their performance and feeling of security on extreme climbs/descents. The ATV was a sluggish agricultural type with brakes that struggled with the descents and it felt unstable around corners and on the road.

Neither were anything like riding a bike.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 01 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I would hammer it to death. I've only been on a quad once so my opinion is useless. You've got to be pretty reckless to roll it. If you are going fast enough around a corner to roll it then oh well. .

Tell that to Rik Mayall and Ozzy Osbourne. Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 01 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Going quad biking Reply with quote

Kmo86 wrote:

I've been quad biking many times and to be honest I think they are more dangerous for the driver than if you were riding a dirt bike. The fact they have 4 contact patches gives you confidence and you don't realise how easy to tip they are on hills because of it. I prefer buggies just because they have roll cages and you can hoon it about not worrying about rolling all that much.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 01 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one for the first time a few weeks ago actually, on the roads on a Greek island, with my other half on the back. Ironically enough I chose it over a scooter because riding one of those wearing shorts, T-short and a crappy old helmet like every other bugger out there goes so much against the grain for me... but the quad felt far more unsafe than a bike to me. Felt like driving a Tesco trolley. I suspect that has more to do with me being an experienced biker though, and expecting the thing to respond to me leaning into corners (hint - it doesn't at all; you have to pull the handlebar quite vigorously to make it turn!). I suspect that if the OP only has car-driving experience, they'll be OK though.

I was also given about 20 mins tuition off road in advance of taking it out on my own, which was fine.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1