BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scrotes Nicked My Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:12 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I’m thinking the same. Lots of bandits available in budget and look in decent nick.

Not had anything with carbs on since my first car so a bit unsure, but the lack of electronics would likely be a good thing being kept outside? Or would the bowls will with water? I’m mechanically inept.

My only minor concern is the lack of abs on older bikes, but then again bandits seem to have it more often than not

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel sorry for you mate, sons got nicked in August when he left it after a breakdown and RAC were saying 6.5 hours.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:56 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Chaps, any reason not to take a punt on a 2003 Vstrom?

Guy has just finished a European tour on it, done 44k miles, it's up for £1900.

CFO has given me a budget of £2k tops, preferably less. This is local, has an MOT and comes with a topbox and heated grips, looks tidy too.

Anything to look out for?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:09 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

44k is a lot for a bike. I'd be checking the rear shock, fork seals, fork bushes, bearings etc. The engine will be fine, it's massively understressed, both the 650 and 1000cc engines are designed for bigger/better/faster things, so should last fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:18 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah tbh with my budget everything I'm looking at has done mega miles or is a stupid distance away unfortunately. I'm happy that anything I get will need some fettling to keep it going.

To get something with a lower milage I'd be looking at 2.5-3k which I'd need a loan for and the boss wont sign off on that.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaguely on topic, I went out yesterday to book mine in for a chain adjustment and saw a trashed MT10 SP new
shape outside the place. Asked the mechanic what happened and it was stolen ragged and crashed. He said it had 10k
worth of damage because they had cracked the frame Shocked and it would be written off. I bet the owner like me hadn't
had his bike very long and waited best part of a year for it to arrive, I wonder if it was the SP that was sold two bikes
ahead of mine. I'll have a look at the numberplate when I pop in later today for my chain adjustment and see if it was
from Fowlers. I'm on the ramp at half past 3.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Yamaha Thunderace is sub £2k for a good nick bike. surprisingly comfortable and fun to ride too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:38 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up taking a punt on the strom, owner gave me good vibes bike looks mint for it's age and mileage, couple of little bits I could tidy up if I want to but already looks in better nick than the Enfield did.

Only ridden it the 7 or so miles home, it's a bit different Laughing lights are much better, mirrors work at 60, ride position is good, higher seat seemed to stop me getting dazzled as much by oncoming cars, but I can still reach the floor with my little legs.

I think maybe the clutch basket could do with replacing, there is a bit of a rattle 2-3k rpm but it's not unrideable, with the limited miles I do I'll probably just ride it until I either want to sort it or I want a new bike. I'm going to learn how to do some spannering on this with the assistance of a guy in my street so might keep this long term, I saw on the Stromtrooper forum there's a guy with one that has nearly half a million miles on it so it should last a while for me with some TLC.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I ended up taking a punt on the strom, owner gave me good vibes bike looks mint for it's age and mileage, couple of little bits I could tidy up if I want to but already looks in better nick than the Enfield did.

Only ridden it the 7 or so miles home, it's a bit different Laughing lights are much better, mirrors work at 60, ride position is good, higher seat seemed to stop me getting dazzled as much by oncoming cars, but I can still reach the floor with my little legs.

I think maybe the clutch basket could do with replacing, there is a bit of a rattle 2-3k rpm but it's not unrideable, with the limited miles I do I'll probably just ride it until I either want to sort it or I want a new bike. I'm going to learn how to do some spannering on this with the assistance of a guy in my street so might keep this long term, I saw on the Stromtrooper forum there's a guy with one that has nearly half a million miles on it so it should last a while for me with some TLC.

To be honest it had over 100 horses when it left the factory so I bet it feels even faster than your ER6N too. Not a bad bike you got there mate.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:22 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know about 100, I’ve read various reports between high 80s and mid 90s but I’m sure a loads of them wild horses will have gone to the glue factory in the last 20 years.

It’ll do though, more than quick enough for me.

I see you made the leap too, not going to pretend I’m not a bit jealous, really nice bikes them.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 01 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
I see you made the leap too, not going to pretend I’m not a bit jealous, really nice bikes them.

I did but then I got hen-pecked into giving it back. Got a 2018 BMW S1000XR that someone had traded in to the same dealership a few days prior though instead. Luckily for me she thinks that because it's way taller and has a top box that it's a slow bike Laughing Laughing Laughing

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:15 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! The XR is mental isn't it? Laughing

Had a ride on the Strom on Saturday, only 20 miles or so because I've had a cold since I picked it up, the screen buffeting is horrendous with the touring screen, if I stand up a bit or crouch down it's fine so I must be exactly the wrong height. I've bought a cheapo wind deflector off ebay to try because wind protection would be nice but if it doesn't work I might just take a saw to it.

Weirdly for some reason, even though it's a big bike, with 2 headlights, people keep pulling out on me. Might have to get moar lights.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I did but then I got hen-pecked into giving it back. Got a 2018 BMW S1000XR that someone had traded in to the same dealership a few days prior though instead.

So did you buy the Suzuki brand new? Then hand it back shortly after? You must have taken a hit there.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:42 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already covered that he doesn't need to think about money Twisted Evil

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 02 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
So did you buy the Suzuki brand new? Then hand it back shortly after? You must have taken a hit there.

Nope, it was still within the 14 day window. I took a different bike which she accepted because it's a slow adventure tourer and not the fast "sports bike".

Prawny wrote:
We've already covered that he doesn't need to think about money Twisted Evil

I wish this was genuinely true.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:57 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the V Strom has turned out to be excellent if completely unsuitable. I’ve been crunching the numbers and as well as being a bit of a beast to handle in city traffic it’s costing me £8 a day to freeze my balls off just in fuel, I can get the train in to work for about a tenner and have a little sleep.

I’m starting to think about really cheap commuting, would I be mental getting a CBF125 for putting to work and back, even on the Strom opportunities for safe overtaking is infrequent, filtering is much more of a time saver. I know it’ll be absolute shite on the motorway so I might just not bother with that. Or am I being mental.

I know that I wasn’t happy with the speed of the meteor, but the VStrom is literally double the cost in fuel, and that’s not viable sadly.

Anything else notoriously cheap to buy and will do 70mpg plus?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:

I’m starting to think about really cheap commuting, would I be mental getting a CBF125 for putting to work and back, even on the Strom opportunities for safe overtaking is infrequent, filtering is much more of a time saver. I know it’ll be absolute shite on the motorway so I might just not bother with that. Or am I being mental.

Yes too small for any dual carriageway riding IMO.

Prawny wrote:

Anything else notoriously cheap to buy and will do 70mpg plus?

Maybe a Chinkonese 250.. ?The Tense Lardy Jock likes to wank on about the virtues of Zontes so how about this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404620835410?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aAMAAOSwNZBlUk9G/s-l1600.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of small alternatives. There's the 471cc twin in the various Hondas, the 373cc single in KTM/Husky, Kawasaki Z400... all >40bhp which is useable (if not ideal) for motorways and dual-carriageways. Probably all of them are lighter than a Meteor Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:03 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the 650 V Strom right? I'm amazed it's fuel consumption is that shite unless your are screwing the tits of it everywhere.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:08 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That's the 650 V Strom right? I'm amazed it's fuel consumption is that shite unless your are screwing the tits of it everywhere.

No a thou, couldn’t find a decent 650 in budget close enough to me. I’m getting 42mpg out of it which isn’t too bad, but when I was getting 90 odd from the Enfield questions are being asked by the finance committee

That zontes is only mildly gopping, will check it out.

Might just get a 1st gen Nissan leaf and use the public chargers in town lol.

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:09 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea where you are or how long the commute is but if you need the motorway this won’t be for you.

I saw one of these a few weeks ago, turns out it’s someone down the road from me who has it. Prob not the thing to admit on a bike site but I quite like it. If I lived in London and only drove locally I’d seriously consider one.

https://www.citroen.co.uk/ami#my_ami_ami

£99/ month and it must be dead cheap to charge.

I’m wondering if 2 people could pick one up and put it into the back of a van, but the pool of people who’d buy a nicked one or joy ride in it must be pretty small Laughing

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sounding like a parrot here but if mpg is a concern, you have to reconsider the NC750 variants of all ages. Even if you redline it everywhere you'll still get +50mpg.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 20 year old deisel car does more to the gallon than some of those bikes.
If all you want is a commuter but a feckin 300/400cc scoot
Economical, good stowage for your lunch box and toys
Good weather protection so no need for expensive gimp suits.
cheap/er insurance and tax than bigger bikes.
If you must maintain your 'real biker' status buy a garage queen you can wank over in your spare time.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Maybe a Chinkonese 250.. ?The Tense Lardy Jock likes to wank on about the virtues of Zontes so how about this

The Tense Lardy Jock would actually recommend he gets this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202307129566424

WD Forte wrote:
My 20 year old deisel car does more to the gallon than some of those bikes.
If all you want is a commuter but a feckin 300/400cc scoot
Economical, good stowage for your lunch box and toys
Good weather protection so no need for expensive gimp suits.
cheap/er insurance and tax than bigger bikes.
If you must maintain your 'real biker' status buy a garage queen you can wank over in your spare time.

Literally what I just recommended him Laughing

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:52 - 28 Nov 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of a big scoot is quite tempting, I was thinking about it even before I did the maths to be honest. I did used to like having warm dry feet.

My only concern with scooters is that car drivers in Brum tend to treat them all like deliveroo CBT wankers whereas proper bikes get a bit of respeck.

Might have to see if I can blag a test ride on one, hated the riding position on my old vity which is a concern.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3