Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cool features for a house?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Cool features for a house? Reply with quote

Renovating a house, 3 bed end of terrace with a couple of extra rooms downstairs + workshop + lots of space outside.

Whenever I research ideas for house renovations, they are all so painfully boring. Stupid furniture with spindly legs and grey everything.

Does anyone here have any interesting ideas for a feature or thing that perhaps they weren't allowed to do?

Most rooms are blank canvas. I don't want to do a bar as I would never use it.

The only idea I have at the moment is the cellar will be a man cave with projector, speakers, sound treatment etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hot tub maybe if there's room. I knew a guy who had two Ducati's in his livingroom as show pieces perched there.

My house is dull grey. Very Happy

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
A hot tub maybe if there's room. I knew a guy who had two Ducati's in his livingroom as show pieces perched there.

My house is dull grey. Very Happy

Hot tubs seem like a great idea but require lots of maintenance, cleaning etc. Not sure if the work/reward ratio is right for me.

A Ducati in the living room is a waste, let alone 2. See if he had a Ducati powered blender, that would at least do something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the Artist you should have some good ideas. Laughing

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

GS125 hung from the ceiling with threaded bar
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:26 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral staircase: fiendishly impractical but visually striking.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiki bar. Even if you never use it.

Ok, a silly one I'm pleased with. I used doors with windows in for every door leading into the upstairs hall then fitted different textured/refractive "privacy film" on each door which I think looks pretty cool and lets a whole load more light in.

I also want to make the guest room more like a ships cabin. Possibly even with provision for a hammock.

Projector screen instead of a TV so the focus of the living room is on the other people in the room, not the one eyed god in the corner. Screen rolls up out of the way when not in use.

Space invaders coffee table.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:21 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside:
Good big benches in the workshop with lots of plug sockets.

Arcade

Outside:
Wipe-clean orgy mat

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also very pleased with my kitchen/diner area. I floored it with proper linoleum (not vinyl floor covering, the actual linoleum, got a mosaic section in and everything). Had it totally emptied then did the floor to the edges of the walls and the walls down to the edges of the floor, tiles in the kitchen half with the linoleum bent up to meet it, normal plaster in the diner half.

Then I used free standing units and cupboards throughout. Made the kitchen units from welsh dressers which I painted and replaced the top with wooden kitchen worktop. Used the plate racks as bookshelves/bedroom shelving elsewhere in the house by screwing them to the wall. Set a balfast sink into one of them and a free-standing range style cooker. Couple of free standing pantry cabinets for food storage and a moveable butchers block. Microwave, pans and kettle/tea making stuff on open shelves made from leftover worktop. Kitchen utensils on a sort of chandelier thing with butchers hooks handing over the worktop.

All looks really well in our 50's ex council house and cost a fraction of the cost of a fitted kitchen. The only cabinet you can't really move is the sink unit but it's only attached by the two water pipes and the drain going out through the wall.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:00 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I do like Stinkwheels description of using mostly scavenged or repurposed stuff to make a kitchen, a fitted kitchen is cheap.

I think I paid about £1000-1500 for a mid range ikea one, 3 years ago. I spent more than that on some decent appliances, and fitting the kitchen took me about a week.

It only get expensive when you have to pay someone else to do things.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Whilst I do like Stinkwheels description of using mostly scavenged or repurposed stuff to make a kitchen, a fitted kitchen is cheap.

I think I paid about £1000-1500 for a mid range ikea one, 3 years ago.

I'll have spent less than half that. The most expensive bit was the solid wood worktops.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 14 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already mention projector, speakers, sound treatment etc., I'm going to say snooker table, a pool table if you can't fit the snooker one.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:20 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrap one of the bedrooms and knock through into the bathroom, then put in a walk-in shower large enough for an orgy and the biggest sauna bath tub you can get in the house without taking down an outside wall. Mr. Green

I am currently in the planning stage for turning a small room that has the water heater in it's corner into somewhere tailor made for brewing, as it's a pain in the arse taking over the kitchen, setting up and breaking down every time I want to brew.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about where you want plugs and othe cables and run them whilst you have the opportunity - power, Ethernet etc.

Outdoors kitchen - pizza oven, tandoor and/or similar.

Open plan living space - we knocked a load of walls down to create a kitchen/dining/living space.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:00 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Scrap one of the bedrooms and knock through into the bathroom, then put in a walk-in shower large enough for an orgy.

Love my walk in shower. No moving parts, no curtains. Had to make an option of a bath with a lacklusture shower over it or sack off the bath and have a kick-arse shower. I never use a bath and Mrs stinkwheel was using it less than once a fortnight so out it went. Couldn't make bathroom any bigger due to load bearing wall constraints.

What cost the money was having the new mains water pipe and boiler put in so it gave me what I'd consider an acceptable volume and temperature of water.

On that subject, if you don't already have one, consider where you'd put a big fuck-off hot water store and make provision for it (ie a big enough space near where the main wet wall is) because those air source heat pumps they are going to make everyone fit are not a solution by themselves any more than them pushing combi boilers on everyone 20 years ago was. A mix of low input, low carbon heat sources is where it'll land up and we're all going to need a heat store to feed them into.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:28 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Being the Artist you should have some good ideas. Laughing

I am more autist than artist unfortunately.

Rob Fzs wrote:
GS125 hung from the ceiling with threaded bar

You know me too well. Would be a waste of a glorious GS though.

Easy-X wrote:
Spiral staircase: fiendishly impractical but visually striking.

Cool but this house is narrow so not an option.

stinkwheel wrote:
Tiki bar. Even if you never use it.

Ok, a silly one I'm pleased with. I used doors with windows in for every door leading into the upstairs hall then fitted different textured/refractive "privacy film" on each door which I think looks pretty cool and lets a whole load more light in.

I also want to make the guest room more like a ships cabin. Possibly even with provision for a hammock.

Projector screen instead of a TV so the focus of the living room is on the other people in the room, not the one eyed god in the corner. Screen rolls up out of the way when not in use.

Space invaders coffee table.

I like the glass door idea although I only have internal doors downstairs at the moment.

I will be having a projector in my cave and having had one on a living room, probably won't do that again due to light issues.

I had completely forgotten about coffee tables. Need to keep an eye out on ebay for something good. V8 block, or some old solid wooden type.

Robby wrote:
Inside:
Good big benches in the workshop with lots of plug sockets.

Plenty of benches and sockets already. Got big plans for this workshop.

stinkwheel wrote:
I am also very pleased with my kitchen/diner area. I floored it with proper linoleum (not vinyl floor covering, the actual linoleum, got a mosaic section in and everything). Had it totally emptied then did the floor to the edges of the walls and the walls down to the edges of the floor, tiles in the kitchen half with the linoleum bent up to meet it, normal plaster in the diner half.

Then I used free standing units and cupboards throughout. Made the kitchen units from welsh dressers which I painted and replaced the top with wooden kitchen worktop. Used the plate racks as bookshelves/bedroom shelving elsewhere in the house by screwing them to the wall. Set a balfast sink into one of them and a free-standing range style cooker. Couple of free standing pantry cabinets for food storage and a moveable butchers block. Microwave, pans and kettle/tea making stuff on open shelves made from leftover worktop. Kitchen utensils on a sort of chandelier thing with butchers hooks handing over the worktop.

All looks really well in our 50's ex council house and cost a fraction of the cost of a fitted kitchen. The only cabinet you can't really move is the sink unit but it's only attached by the two water pipes and the drain going out through the wall.

So many options for kitchens. I have been looking at diykitchens for semi-custom units to order and then install myself but the cost is still gonna be £5k excluding appliances. I do like the idea of no fixed units though. Thumbs Up

Robby wrote:

I think I paid about £1000-1500 for a mid range ikea one, 3 years ago. I spent more than that on some decent appliances, and fitting the kitchen took me about a week.

It only get expensive when you have to pay someone else to do things.

I will do some Ikea quotes, that seems very cheap.

RhynoCZ wrote:
As you already mention projector, speakers, sound treatment etc., I'm going to say snooker table, a pool table if you can't fit the snooker one.

I have space in the outbuildings but I have other plans for them. I would love to have a full size snooker table.

mentalboy wrote:
Scrap one of the bedrooms and knock through into the bathroom, then put in a walk-in shower large enough for an orgy and the biggest sauna bath tub you can get in the house without taking down an outside wall. Mr. Green

I am currently in the planning stage for turning a small room that has the water heater in it's corner into somewhere tailor made for brewing, as it's a pain in the arse taking over the kitchen, setting up and breaking down every time I want to brew.

I hadn't even considered this but that bathroom idea sounds good. The upstairs bathroom is tiny so knocking through would be a winner.

weasley wrote:
Think about where you want plugs and othe cables and run them whilst you have the opportunity - power, Ethernet etc.

Outdoors kitchen - pizza oven, tandoor and/or similar.

Open plan living space - we knocked a load of walls down to create a kitchen/dining/living space.

One of the first jobs is electrician to fit new consumer unit, check existing wiring and install new plugs. At this point I will decide whether to get ethernet added or just go full mesh because I will have a lot of devices/smart home stuff.

Outdoor - Already planning on a pellet smoker BBQ.

I think I need to get a structural engineer in for an issue with one of the outbuildings so I will make sure to ask him which walls in the house can be easily knocked through.

stinkwheel wrote:

On that subject, if you don't already have one, consider where you'd put a big fuck-off hot water store and make provision for it (ie a big enough space near where the main wet wall is) because those air source heat pumps they are going to make everyone fit are not a solution by themselves any more than them pushing combi boilers on everyone 20 years ago was. A mix of low input, low carbon heat sources is where it'll land up and we're all going to need a heat store to feed them into.

Hot water store meaning a big tank so feed this low level heat energy into?

I have lots of ideas regarding heating and I was going to fit some additional ports to the heating loop to feed outside so I could rig up some solar panels (the liquid in tubes type). A large hot water tank makes sense with something like that.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

I have a 'utility room' in my flat that has the boiler, space and plumbing for a washing machine and tumble drier and a bit of work surface. It currently contains a dehydrator for beef jerky and a few demijohns of mead on the go. Cool

the artist wrote:

I had completely forgotten about coffee tables. Need to keep an eye out on ebay for something good. V8 block, or some old solid wooden type.

Id also suggest keeping an eye on freecycle too, I have a working chest freezer, electric fire, mantlepiece, breakfast bar and a couple coffee tables in my flat that only cost me a couple of quid in diesel and a smile.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

British Heart Foundation shops provided a lot of my furniture and white goods when I moved in.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:

Id also suggest keeping an eye on freecycle too, I have a working chest freezer, electric fire, mantlepiece, breakfast bar and a couple coffee tables in my flat that only cost me a couple of quid in diesel and a smile.

Wow I had forgotten about freecycle as well. Great shout!

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
virus wrote:

Wow I had forgotten about freecycle as well. Great shout!

yeah the original website is still going, mostly full of old people who live in massive houses out in the sticks who dont speak to anyone. I got a decent toaster off one bloke and was polite enough to smile and nod when he talked at me for a bit, He asked me to wait for a moment and he came back with 4 or 5 items of that le creuset enammeled kitchenware for free too. certainly got me a get out of jail free card with Mrs Virus for that one Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:28 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have grand plans in our place. The garage/workshop can fit 3 cars so size wise its massive but thats an ongoing project. Trying to get a small part as a gym in there, nothing mad just cross trainer, softer floor, few weights and a little bench, but the rest is going to be epoxy floor, little workshop and bike storage.

Inside though, if you are renovating, I am currently working on automated lighting via LED strips in recessed areas, like staircase, the wood trims along the edge have been routed ready for diffused light bars, but aim is it runs through the whole house (time permitting)
That all gets controlled via 2 touchscreens.

The aim is to link it into the emergency batteries if the power goes out so we have some lighting as we live in the darkest place I have ever seen and when lights are off there is ZERO light pollution from anywhere else, if the moon isn't out its pitch black.

Lighting and tech is cool for me, its all home written code (so you can do absolutely anything, literally) for dimming, zones, all haptic touch/swipe and switches for the rooms so you can dim the lights but running your finger over.. it really makes the older house we have feel a bit more fresh.

I'd like an arcade cabinet room but we need the kitchen and floor sorted first Laughing

tl;dr - if you are ripping things out, do some cool lighting shit.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:33 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot water store is a good shout.

Solar therm panels are a possibility, but I wouldn't bother. Just get as many solar PV panels as you can, storage battery, heat pump. You'll need an immersion heater if you go down this route, heat pumps don't make enough heat to provide it on demand.

You can get heat pump immersion heaters, they're quite sweet but too pricey to bother with still.

Electric car charging point on the driveway.

Assuming you replace the consumer unit, get one with a lot of spare sockets to expand into. The future is electric.

I'm a fan of doing surface mount plug sockets with the wiring running in metal surface mount conduit. Future alterations are a lot easier without having to channel into walls.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted a central vacuum cleaner system. Dont get excited about much but this is great.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A feck off gert slide down the stairs.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

P. wrote:
The aim is to link it into the emergency batteries if the power goes out so we have some lighting as we live in the darkest place I have ever seen and when lights are off there is ZERO light pollution from anywhere else, if the moon isn't out its pitch black.

A generator will be needed for when the power is out for a few days.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2