Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

100% brighter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: 100% brighter? Reply with quote

Riding last night some country roads revealed the piss-poor headlight of the FZ.. are these any good does anyone know?

https://www.halfords.com/motorcycling/bulbs/motorcycle-100-brighter-h4-bulb-767182.html

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say what wattage they are
generally more watts = more light and more heat
and this applies to leds was well
Bulbs do differ in colour temperature from warm white to whitey bluey
but 3700K isn't what you would call 'white' you need to get 4k
and above for that.
100% brighter? compared to what?
how is it measured?
Led blubs give out a shit ton of light at much less wattage but they can vary in quality so Philips Osram etc may do better than Ebay cheapos
There are HIDs of course, but personally I wouldn't bother faffing about with them and go straight to a good quality LED type if I couldn't live with a standard bulb

Then there is the specsavers aspect...........

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought one anyway.. so I'll let yawl know, apparently it's Xenon Confused

However can anyone explain why it's 25% cheaper to buy on line and collect 1 hr later than pick it from the shelf yourself!?

£6.99 vs £8.99 Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Well, I bought one anyway.. so I'll let yawl know, apparently it's Xenon Confused
I bet it isn't. proper Xenon lamps are loads of money

But for ordinary 55w incandescent lamps Osram Nightbreakers offer a bit more throw and a brighter white light.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 15 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenon is simply the gas inside the bulb, not a bulb type so any style of fitment can be a Xenon rather than a Halogen filled bulb.

A 472 is a 55/60w H4 fitment.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:40 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halogen is a description of a range of gases like chlorine, iodine and bromine. I assume there is also an inert gas mixed into the incandescent bulb gas too to stop the tungsten element oxidising, so that's where the Xenon come into it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:25 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeremyr62 wrote:
Halogen is a description of a range of gases like chlorine, iodine and bromine. I assume there is also an inert gas mixed into the incandescent bulb gas too to stop the tungsten element oxidising, so that's where the Xenon come into it.

Don't know if this is exactly what is happening in these bulbs bt the noble (inert) gasses release photons when excited by an electric arc. The classic one is neon in the twisted glass bulbs used for shop/bar signs which gives out a red light when you pass an electric arc through it. Helium is orange, argon is purplish, krypton white and xenon a blue white.

So in a normal halogen bulb, the highly reactive halogen gas causes a plasma flux on the filament where the metal on the tungsten is vapourising then being re-deposited. It can't oxidise because there is no oxygen. If you ever see one that has blown due to the glass cracking, the inside of the glass has a mirror finish where it's been plated with molten tungsten. Most of the light comes from the filament being white hot. Shows how hot they get, the boiling point of tungsten is 5,555 Celcius.

In the xenon ones, I suspect the plasma contains enough energy to excite the xenon gas releasing an additional blue-white light.

This is a xenon arc light:
https://live.staticflickr.com/1968/45048755411_2eb4bf0768_b.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Xenon gas technology gives up to 100% more light that Halfords essentials bulb'

..ooh, how exciting.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the headlight is really poor, I would be checking and cleaning any connections it relies on before swapping out the bulb. I would also clean the reflector behind the bulb, and the glass lens of the lamp assembly.

A combination of small amounts of extra dirt, dust, rust and resistance can dramatically reduce the output of your headlight.

I also don't like the light off those bulbs. It's whiter and brighter, but that makes it even harder to see the shadowy bits on the edge of the puddle of light in front of you.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 16 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth a punt for £8. If it under delivers, I'm also a fan of a high quality LED bulb replacement.

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 07:43 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
However can anyone explain why it's 25% cheaper to buy on line and collect 1 hr later than pick it from the shelf yourself!?

Because there's loads of people with more money than sense or who won't consider using that as an option.

Plus most people assume you need to be a wizard to buy parts if the conversations I've overheard in motorfactors over the years aren't blips in the matrix.

Tbh if you need to go GSF or ECP at the drop of a hat you can usually blag trade discount if you're nice to them. Unfortunately most dealers won't budge though

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 07:52 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Compensation for having to find, get the attention of and converse with a member of staff. Then stand about waiting for them to get it up on the system, not know what you were on about, have to show them the hard copy of the invoice you took with you, not be able to find where someone put it, then finally either try to give you the wrong thing or tell you there's none in stock.

Finding it, picking it up from the shelf yourself and taking it to the till is more expensive because it's the fast, easy way.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 18 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I googled.. and found this in the T&Cs..

https://www.halfords.com/help-and-advice/orders-and-bookings/payment-and-savings/price-match/price-match.html

We will match in store if our online price is lower than our store price. This applies to Click & Collect orders only, not delivery.

I wonder how many people know this..?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 19 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
If the headlight is really poor, I would be checking and cleaning any connections it relies on before swapping out the bulb. I would also clean the reflector behind the bulb, and the glass lens of the lamp assembly.

A combination of small amounts of extra dirt, dust, rust and resistance can dramatically reduce the output of your headlight.

I also don't like the light off those bulbs. It's whiter and brighter, but that makes it even harder to see the shadowy bits on the edge of the puddle of light in front of you.

I a bygone age when men were men and sheep were nervous, the reflectors in headlamps would dull and the reflected light from the lamp bulb would be too dim to pass an mot.
There is a limit to how much light you can emit from vehicle headlamps.
So bulb wattage was restricted to about 75 Watts.

But..... you could buy 100 watt bulbs.
The 100 watt bulbs were fitted to the auld lamps with the shifty reflectors and emitted light would still be within legal limit.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is the new bulb any better?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as good as a true xenon HID would be.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:16 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Not as good as a true xenon HID would be.

But at least all oncoming traffic doesn't think you're a twat.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck them as long as I can see although any factory fit xenons have to be self levelling and have washers
to eliminate beam scatter by law. I thought xenons were the shit, had them on my Suzuki swift sport with the self
levelling and washers etc.and thought they were as good as they could possibly get. Until I saw the LED brilliance I
have on my Mazda 3. Fuck me those lights are next level bright and completely automatic to boot. Cool

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:06 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
although any factory fit xenons have to be self levelling and have washers
to eliminate beam scatter by law.

Yeah, but it doesn't work.

As you say though, redundant tech now. LEDs do everything better and without oncoming traffic thinking you're a twat. Even the LED bulb replacements (the higher end ones anyway, there's some sketchy shit on ebay) when used in conventional sealed beam units have a better beam pattern than the original incandescants.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
so is the new bulb any better?

Not quite got there yet.. Embarassed fairing nearly off now

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
completely automatic to boot. Cool

Why's that a good thing?

It always amuses me when I see a line of cars infront with the lamps turning on and off constaly just because they are passing through the spotted shade of a trees.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:01 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a Philips Vision bulb in my GSX-S as the low beam bulb had blown. I only found out when I first rode it in the dark for many months, I'd gone somewhere, it had got dark and then I found out...

The problem I have now is that the low beam is so good that it makes the high beam look yellow and kind of weedy. I might have to change the high beam bulb too...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Why's that a good thing?

Partially because it's a superb adaptive lighting system. I just bung it on high beam and automatic and give it
no more thought. The system can recognise tail lights so I don't dazzle from behind, streetlights to determine if
high beam is necessary and oncoming headlights to dip beams quicker than I can if I am on full beam, it also fades
gradually back up to high beam rather than flicks back up instantly when the oncoming traffic has passed by. Beam
height changes dependent on gradient or the load in car. The only thing that confuses it is heavy fog, but it's no biggie
to switch to manual and fog lamps on the odd occasion I drive in heavy fog. I'm sure it will cost a mint to fix if it does
go wrong but the lighting is the best I've ever seen in any car I've been in. I have terrible vision in the dark, so it's an
important thing for me to have good lights. The LED headlights on the MT10 are the best OEM lights I've had on a bike too.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
blurredman wrote:
Why's that a good thing?

Partially because it's a superb adaptive lighting system.

im the opposite. my car has automatic lights too and i hate them. it really annoys me that the car is in control of things rather than me.

a typical example is defrosting the car on dark mornings. i cant turn the headlights off so my neighbours opposite get the pleasure of Led brightness lighting up their house for 10 minutes+ Sad

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:00 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

a typical example is defrosting the car on dark mornings.

Have you not heard of one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/car-window-scraper/s?k=car+window+scraper

FFS,call yourself a biker? Sitting inside whilst the car warms up?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2