BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XL Bully ban

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say "sausage dogs can also be divas" but TBH dogs are so much like us - as in dysfunctional - it doesn't matter what breed it is. All you have is tendencies. Spaniels: most likely mad as a box of frogs but not always.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make muzzles a requirement for non working dogs in public unless in designated dog walking areas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
just make muzzles a requirement for non working dogs in public unless in designated dog walking areas.

And as an owner of perfectly well trained german shepherds I hate that idea. Throwing a ball for my dog to fetch is one of those small enjoyments we have together.

Tell you what, tie thugs hands behind their backs when out in public. Anyone who could assault someone? Pikeys, they are pretty likely to attack someone. Why not? That's what you are suggesting with dogs.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said, muzzles off in designated dog walking areas. where you can throw all the sticks you want to.

im a dog owner too. and my retriever loves to chase and carry things.

if having to take my dog to designated areas to let him run run free and unmuzzled prevented any more children being mauled to death/disfigured for life, id consider it a price worth paying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:49 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put a certain type of dog together with a certain type of people... but the law can't be as nuanced as "XL Bully's are fine unless you're a drug dealer."

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 23 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You put a certain type of dog together with a certain type of people... but the law can't be as nuanced as "XL Bully's are fine unless you're a drug dealer."

i personally dont think dogs like the bully xl are fine in any situation.
bull terriers are breeds that were bred purely for fighting.
they have no place in a modern society as far as im concerned.
and should not be sold to the general public.

in my area, its almost a weekly occurrence for there to be a serious attack on another dog or a person by some type of bull terrier.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you see one, it's likely being walked in the wrong sort of place by the wrong sort of person. And it won't have a muzzle. Massive stereotype, I know, but there it is. I think you have to see it in person - it's just pure muscle power with obviously tremendous leverage in its jaws. If one goes out of control, I don't know what anyone could do about it without the proper equipment and training. Even a policeman (or several) with body armour, a Taser and a stick. Maybe equipment and training along these lines would do the job:

https://greatdaysoutdoors.com/boar-spear/

The breed will become more popular to own in Britain as status/trophy symbols of the local wuss ("hard man"), as the law and order situation in urban centres continues to destabilise. I don't think the almost absolute freedom of dog ownership, which is the established norm here, can possibly continue for long into the future.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:14 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of them don't get walked because they've never been trained and so just drag their owner about when put on a lead, that's part of the problem.

We've had two of them kill another dog in their own household this year. I've seen dogs kill other dogs but never before a dog they live with. For some reason, they are often kept in a household with a toy breed of some sort. Maybe his n hers?

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:31 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

We keeping talking about owners of Bullies not being responsible, but why can't we hold owners of the other breeds to the same standard? My dog is a Victorian Bulldog for reference.

My dog is always on a lead she can be reactive to other dogs so I am very careful with the dogs she interacts as it takes a while for her to be fine with them. Every day I walk the same route and every day there is a lady walking her two pugs that love to rile my dog up. Every day I move out of the way as soon as I see her because I know she will not move (I do this for every dog I see).

I can be busy picking up after my dog and she will come at me with her two dogs without slowing down, without being considerate that I am in the way, nothing. Just acts like I am not there. However, I am sure that if something happens, then it is going to be my fault despite me doing my best effort to prevent the situation.

During my walk, people don't pay attention to dogs or what they are doing. Many times my dog has been startled by people walking right next to her while she is doing a poo. Parents let their kids touch every dog in sight without asking the owners if it is ok or not.

Some problems could be avoided if common sense is used.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajag wrote:
Some problems could be avoided if common sense is used.

The Victorian Era just called, time for you to return Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see owners prosecuted for dog on dog attacks, as it stands the police don't take action for dog on dog attacks.

I know of a dog near me that has attacked and injured at least 3 other dogs and the owner still allows it off the lead.

If dog on dog attacks were prosecuted, then it means they could leverage those previous offenses to hand down harsher sentences if it ever attacks a person.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:24 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could, they just don't bother. It's illegal to have a dog out in public that is dnagerously out of control.

If a dog is dangerously out of control in [F1any place [F2in England or Wales] (whether or not a public place)])—

(a)the owner; and

(b)if different, the person for the time being in charge of the dog,

is guilty of an offence, or, if the dog while so out of control injures any person [F3or assistance dog], an aggravated offence, under this subsection.

A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1)F6... above other than an aggravated offence is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or both; and a person guilty of an aggravated offence under [F7that subsection] is liable—

(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both;

(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [F8two years][F8the relevant maximum specified in subsection (4A)] or a fine or both.

So you can get up to 6 months in jail and/or a level 5 fine (currently unlimited) for having a dog dangerously out of control. If it kills or injures a person or an assistance dog, hell mend ye.

Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 section 3

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the arguments for and against here are pretty much correct but the thing that is being ignored is responsibility which is sadly lacking in todays world.

The younger of my older sisters was taught to cross the road in the 70's by David Prowse, the Green Cross Code Man. Today instead of teaching children to cross the road we have dropped the speed limits in urban areas to 20mph across the country.
In 2022 there were 1695 fatalities on the road and total of 29795 KSI's but prosecutions didn't go up and people weren't trained to cross the road safely.

Hold the owners responsible with proper fines and time banged up and you won't have as many dog attacks, it really is that easy.
Add in 3rd party insurance as a requirement to dog ownership, many already have it through house insurance etc and watch people become more responsible.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Hold the owners responsible with proper fines and time banged up and you won't have as many dog attacks, it really is that easy.
Add in 3rd party insurance as a requirement to dog ownership, many already have it through house insurance etc and watch people become more responsible.

The maximum sentence for a fatal dog attack is 14 years and 5 year if it just injures someone.

Even with those it doesn't seem to be doing much to curb the number dog attacks that are happening.

You might start seeing people getting the upper end of those sentences if the xl bully ban comes in and the attacks continue.

Though I'm not sure will achive much given it hard to define what an xl bully is.

Insurance is one option, I believe its mandator to have 3rd party insurance if your dog is a banned breed, though would a drug dealing scrote whose dog is weapon really worry about that.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:20 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminals don't fear the sentence they only fear getting caught. The fault lies entirely with enforcement (or lack thereof.)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:29 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Criminals don't fear the sentence they only fear getting caught. The fault lies entirely with enforcement (or lack thereof.)

Presumably on the basis that criminals don't fear the sentence, you agree that capital punishment clearly isn't the deterent that it's advocates insist it is?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Presumably on the basis that criminals don't fear the sentence, you agree that capital punishment clearly isn't the deterent that it's advocates insist it is?

how many criminals risk a capital punishment sentence in the UK then nobby?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:39 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people who still advocate it in the UK as a deterent. Expect Suella as the next great hope for the next election.

After all, She's trying to downgrade persecution of gays to discrimination and not worthy of protection under the human rights act.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
There are people who still advocate it in the UK as a deterent. Expect Suella as the next great hope for the next election.

After all, She's trying to downgrade persecution of gays to discrimination and not worthy of protection under the human rights act.

I don't advocate for capital punishment as a deterrent I advocate on the basis that it both saves money and is more humane in the long term.

And I think technically she's not interested in the persecution of queers, the homosexuals will be fine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
All of the arguments for and against here are pretty much correct but the thing that is being ignored is responsibility which is sadly lacking in todays world.

The younger of my older sisters was taught to cross the road in the 70's by David Prowse, the Green Cross Code Man. Today instead of teaching children to cross the road we have dropped the speed limits in urban areas to 20mph across the country.
In 2022 there were 1695 fatalities on the road and total of 29795 KSI's but prosecutions didn't go up and people weren't trained to cross the road safely.

Its not a great excuse to say that children should know how to cross the road.
Adults get hit by cars too.

The issue is that children are smaller, have more difficulty seeing traffic at any distance, have less mature senses (until adolescent)
Cars hit children at the same height as children's vital organs, brain areas. Which means traffic is more dangerous to kids.
Car drivers that need to drive faster than 30 in a thirty or over 20 in a twenty need to get out of bed earlier. Plus a good kicking.
(Lets remeber, Kickings keep folk honest.)

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit round where I live is 20. The locals have stuck up maximum speed 10 mph signs everywhere, still doesn't stop people racing around at 40.

I am now self aware about my bulldog in public. Everyone must think I'm a drug dealer.

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
The speed limit round where I live is 20. The locals have stuck up maximum speed 10 mph signs everywhere, still doesn't stop people racing around at 40.

I am now self aware about my bulldog in public. Everyone must think I'm a drug dealer.

At least your Bulldog looks different to the pictures they post everywhere. You see hordes of people crossing the street when I walk my victorian bulldog, even though I get out of the way for every one

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:32 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same issue whilst walking my chihuahuas, but I suspect that people are scared of being bummed rather than bitten.

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:42 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely everyone has to play their part. Dog owners need to have their dogs under control, whether that is being on the lead at all times (my preference) or have a good recall. Off lead dogs should not be left to wander wherever just because they have good recall, they should remain close to the owners just because you do not know what can happen.

People also have to start respecting animals more. Today I was passing a lady with her two kids as she was on her way to drop them at school. One kid asked me if he could pet my dog and I said yes. All of a sudden both kids are not stroking my dog but both are on her hugging her at the same time. This made her feel uncomfortable specially as one of the kids was grabbing her close to her butt, and made her jump. I had to tell them that stroking her is fine but not to hug her as she does not know them. The response of the mother was "Yes, that is what they do with their dog at home so that is what they do to every dog they see". That right there is a recipe for disaster and she does not seem concerned at all.

I always pet and grab my dog when someone comes to pet her because she is a dog. It is not that I don't trust her, it is just that I want to prevent situations.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:49 - 09 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

As a vet we are obliged to provide emergency treatment to prevent suffering. if someone is not registered with a vet then we can't refuse to see them if it is a genuine emergency. The legal responsability does stop at emergency treatment to prevent suffering though. So if a bitch is stuck whelping and the owner doesn't have a vet, then of course, we would do a caesarian. However, it is also not unreasonable to expect to be paid to do it and if the owner is not prepared to pay for it, then the emergency treatment to prevent unecessary suffering may be -and sometimes is- euthanasia.

That case I'm afraid is 100% on the owner as far as I'm concerned. People have done it more than once at our practice in the last couple of years. Left an unpaid vet bill for £1500 for doing a caesarian on their XL bully and I know for a fact they sold the pups for £3k each. Both of those owners have now been told they will be refused treatment if they call us again, even in an emergency (they are given a 14 day notice period to find another vet). Is that unreasonable?

I agree with that, my argument was more towards the way the industry works and how it restricts other options for the public.
It can also impose itself on vets working too.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2