Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: ABS is evil? Reply with quote

Ho-hum, another Fortnine video:

https://youtu.be/sDbWZiaUeDY

tl;dr If you know how to brake properly then ABS is a hinderance.

Nothing revelatory in that statement but the video continually says: "in an emergency most people only slam the rear brake" supposedly because they're scared of flipping the bike by using the front. Is this actually the case?

I've said it before but if I see an orange light and there's no one behind me I use it as an emergency brake testing exercise. Obviously it'll scare the shit out of the pedestrians crossing at that point but fuck 'em Smile Anyhoo, I've always found it best to use both brakes - how odd - and I've surprised myself how sharp you can stop without losing control and without the ABS kicking in.

"Yeah but in a real emergency you wouldn't do that!" Right, so the thing you've practiced over and over you wouldn't do instinctively, gotcha Rolling Eyes

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:45 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice too. I do it to exercise the ABS pump as well.
The quote about only using the rear brake in an emergency is bollocks IMO. The rear brake is pretty much useless when you need to stop fast. Ideally you use both but if you can use only one, let it be the front.

I won't buy a bike without ABS. It's saved my bacon more than once.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using ABS for 30 years and its a nice tool to have in your back pocket. Obviously you need to know how it works, so you need to have a few goes in a controlled manner, but it has saved my bacon a few times. Obviously it doesn't beat physics, but I'd rather have it than not. Those who say it's rubbish have a miss guided ego that one day will let them down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:21 - 24 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, the traffic officer who confidently stated they'd only used the rear brake seemed to be basing it on the fact he'd only seen rear tyre skidmarks.

Well, if you looked at the road after pretty much any emergency stop I've done, that's probably what you'd see because I commonly lock the rear under very hard braking, even if I don't touch the brake because there's no slipper clutch on that bad-boy and the rear tyre is probably hovering just off the road. I do on occasion lock the front too but usually come back off the brake pretty quick when I do.

The whole being able to steer while under hard braking rationale makes sense in a car but not on a bike. Motorbike tyres are extremely grippy under braking and acceleration force OR under cornering force. Not both at once. Start cornering while braking to the grip limit of the tyre and that grip limit will lower. Your ABS will compensate by backing off the brakes.

I find my reaction in an emergency stop, having never ridden with ABS, is to brake as hard as I can in a straight line then if it looks like I can steer round it, do that once the speed has bled off OR just steer round it if it looks like I can do that. Trying to do both achieves neither very well. If a collision seems inevitable, braking as hard as you can in a straight line is probably the thing to go for, it's scrubbing as much energy out of the collision as you can before you hit.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned practice is key, find a empty road and gently find out its limits wet and dry, much like when I buy a new car and drive into TC and see what it does, so you arent surprised when its an emergency,
Rear brake is useful for laying the bike down if things have gone bad,
Low side/slide over a high side normally if its gone wrong,
just my own style,
Id rather hit the bike than get hit with it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:18 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing about laying a bike down is it'll decelerate WAY quicker on its wheels even under 70% braking than it will sliding on its side or you sliding on your arse. Stay on the brakes until you hit. If you laid it down and it didn't hit, you could have stopped it on the brakes.

Only real good reason for laying a bike down deliberately would be if it had undergone a catastrophic loss of control due to a mechanical issue or road surface issue. Only time I can think of where I deliberately laid one down was when I hit the point on the A66 where the snowplough driver presumably decided to go off shift (can't say they stopped because it was impassable because I rode a freshly crashed VFR750 over) and abruptly went from doing 50mph on black tramac to 8" of fresh snow. On the third weave, I got off when it weaved towards the kerb side. Got 10ft further than the following car who landed up nose first into the central reservation.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:38 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS on my KTM was always switched off. It was a hindrance on that bike because it was made to be a tool on the road, couldn't do skids or stoppies. It was on by default next time so you had to turn it off.

My BMW, I wish it had abs, it's been disabled by previous owners. It's a heavy lump to stop and end up having to put more than I feel I should. Could just need better brakes though.. Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 25 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be really nasty if you are trying to descend a very steep gravel strewn slope at minimum speed, as it will start pumping on and off which unsettles the bike and could have you off.
It ought to be always possible to turn off - not the case on XSR700
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had ABS, in a car either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
not the case on XSR700

You can switch off the front ABS on the Husky 401 / Duke 390 Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
Never had ABS, in a car either.

In a car ABS/ESP is where it's at. And torque vectoring. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:00 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traction control in cars is a fucking pain in the arse a lot of the time. I've been stuck on a wet tarmac slope in a RWD mercedes vito before until I turned the ESP off.

My current Nissan van will grind to a halt and refuse to set off again on gravel roads if I leave the traction control on.

Both ABS and traction control on cars are a liability in snow. I doubt they'd be much better on a bike.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having ridden a few bikes with ABS I can comfortably say I fuckin hate it. the pulsating feels horrible and I feel like I cant get a gauge on grip on the front whilst ABS is activating.

That said, as much as I could take or leave it if i was buying a new bike, Im not enough of a fool to say I can outbrake ABS with a non ABS system.
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

never had it on a bike.
maybe one day ill own something modern.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:47 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a fool negates the unseen advantages of ABS.
It's not to improve braking it's mostly for panic braking.
Most humans panic.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Only a fool negates the unseen advantages of ABS.
It's not to improve braking it's mostly for panic braking.
Most humans panic.

Had a bad accident in a car 5 years ago where someone pulled out of a junction when I was doing 60 and suddenly all the breaking practice I did went out the window in the second I had to react Laughing . Anyone that thinks they are going to out break ABS in the split second they have in that situation are kidding themselves.

Fortnine's test is bollocks anyway since he only tests ABS with it slammed, probably causing it to kick in sooner. Most of the stuff he's put out recently has been shite

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:16 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS only works when the brakes are on more than the available grip. It's really supposed for when the friction co-efficient is less than optimal so yes, in dry conditions the odds are you'll outbrake the same bike with ABS.

In the wet or when conditions are sub-optimal, however...

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The whole being able to steer while under hard braking rationale makes sense in a car but not on a bike. Motorbike tyres are extremely grippy under braking and acceleration force OR under cornering force. Not both at once. Start cornering while braking to the grip limit of the tyre and that grip limit will lower. Your ABS will compensate by backing off the brakes.

And it works. It works because you need to be able to steer to keep a bike upright. A bike will fall on its side if it can't steer into the side it's leaning into. If you brake hard enough to lose traction on the front, it's not long before the bike falls on its side. So even before you think about steering around an obstacle, ABS helps by keeping the bike upright.

Once upon a time I was riding my old SH300 on a rainy day in Islington, a little bit too fast to stop comfortably, and I applied slightly more brake than the surface conditions would allow. I found myself for a moment or two in a peculiar state of drifting diagonally. I was braking hard enough that the rear was slipping a little, I was steering into the turn to compensate as is second nature, and the ABS was making sure all the wheels kept turning, so that I was in control of the vehicle even while it shed speed as much as traction allowed.

This ended up being a minor blip on my journey. I didn't need to release brakes, recover, then gingerly reapply them in knowledge of reduced traction until I came to a gentle stop in front of an obstacle. Instead, the ABS measured the available traction for me, and all I had to do was keep the bike upright. It was considerably less stressful than it might have been.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks after picking up my new BMW R1250 GS Adventure I was going along a twisty country road, normally its a free flowing main road, but that day I rolled around the bend to find the traffic stationary. The road was damp from an earlier shower. I just pulled my braked on and the bike came to a nice uneventful stop while still negotiating the bend. ABS had saved the day, a few days later I was giving it the full throttle treatment on the slip road to a motorway, again it had been raining. The over banding was about 6 inches wide with white lines, the traction control kicked in and all was calm. These things are great tools, not to be relied upon, but as a back up. If you have the option to have them, then take it.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Found on the 'Net All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1