Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are braided brakelines on ABS worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:03 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Are braided brakelines on ABS worth it? Reply with quote

So the FZ8 has ABS, and yes I found it kicks in a little soon. Tbh when i first felt it i wondered if my disk had warped...
Anyway...
I also felt my back and front felt a bit squishy...

But because my bikes ABS. It makes brake lines not cheap as theres more than 3 lines...

250 quid for a cheap set for my bike D:

So... is it worth it? :/

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they put them on the MT10SP but not the bog standard model like mine? The You Tube reviewers seem to suggest
there's a difference?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:44 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Well, they put them on the MT10SP but not the bog standard model like mine? The You Tube reviewers seem to suggest
there's a difference?

Even in my small experience braded lines are less spongy. (put some one the er6f) But with ABS because of the extra lines needed. Its just so much more expensive.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapest option would be to order several metres of brake line and a selection of ends and make them yourself.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:09 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The cheapest option would be to order several metres of brake line and a selection of ends and make them yourself.

Not what I would consider the best option, though. For pipes that carry that much pressure I'd rather they were made by people who know what they are doing.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say don't bother.

I did have a chance to try a '98 CB 500 with the OEM rubber brake hose right before my mate swapped it for an after market braided one, and if anything it made the brake feel worse. It just made the brake lever harder to squeeze. I think it's the difference in the inner diameter of the hose, but I don't know.

''...but rubber brake hoses are spongy Crying or Very sad '' The best front brakes I've ever experienced were always on a sports bike (80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s) and the brake lever always felt like a rotten tomato, because that's how it's supposed to be. Perfect control, very little input force required.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:47 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber hoses expand slightly, braided don't noticably.

Braided pipe can feel more immediate but can feel wooden, usually by people that are used to knackered rubber pipes.

I personally prefer braided pipes.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the original brake lines with braided, rebuilt the calipers and the master cylinder at 50k miles and it made no difference. The expected deterioration just wasn’t there.

Aren’t hoses already reinforced internally with nylon braid so they can’t ‘balloon’?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Aren’t hoses already reinforced internally with nylon braid so they can’t ‘balloon’?

Modern ones, probably yes. Ones from the nineties and before, probably not.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:09 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Modern ones, probably yes. Ones from the nineties and before, probably not.

this bikes from 2014 so modern ish :p

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:35 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2011 triumph has pipes that are not fat rubber ones but more the dimensions of braided pipes but with plastic coating on the outside. Not sure if braided or not but definately not the sort where ballooning would be an issue.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:39 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal' braided hose is affected less by pressure.
'Fabrics braided hose can bulge when pressure is applied.

All high pressure hydraulic hose is braided. Similar rules as apply to pneumatic tyres.
The braided helps to resist deformation due to pressure and changes in pressure.

Metal braided hose does improve brake feel. Possibly marginally improves brake application speed

megaross
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:01 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put wavy discs and the latest pads on a bike and feel no difference.

Put on braided brake lines and fuck me it's night and day.

Especially if you replaced old rubber lines (which are supposed to be changed every 5 years). It's about having a rock solid system for compressing the fluid - a tiny amount of give will always be present in rubber lines and it'll get worse with age.

I really don't know why they're not boggo on most bikes these days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

Not what I would consider the best option, though. For pipes that carry that much pressure I'd rather they were made by people who know what they are doing.

I find your lack of curiosity disappointing. I wouldn't go as far as "easy" but AN fittings are straightforward to make; the main thing is to clean cut the ends. I can't really see how you could get it wrong if the olive is seated correctly.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 1150 is still on its oem lines so i was thinking i'd fit braideds this autumn/winter - but it's got abs, so now i'm wondering

the brakes are pretty good on it, tbf - although the 1150 was known to have quite serious issues with the abs

this is the first bike i've had w/ abs - and in fact, the first big bike i've had with efi too (my klx is injected, but i don't count that)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1