Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Biker blamed 100% for this crash....fair?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:50 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Biker blamed 100% for this crash....fair? Reply with quote

This impressive crash (glad the biker survived without too much damage...) seems to have been entirely blamed on the biker.

Original youtube footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGOESS4DaRU&t=1s

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-66929271

The bike is obviously going way too fast, ignoring the indicating car about to turn in front of him and riding without insurance etc., however I think the car is also considerably at fault for turning right in front of a fairly visible (and probably audible) oncoming bike travelling at high speed.

I think it's maybe 60/40 the responsibility of the biker so it'd be a bit unfair if the biker goes to jail with points etc. (and a missing toe!) and the car got off entirely scot free.

Anyone know if the car driver also got any points/fine for this?

Last edited by jimster on 18:42 - 26 Sep 2023; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:00 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biker pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention. I think it all goes out of the window at that point.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:06 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driver probably turned just as the rider just potentially entered their view but by the driver would have correctly concluded that the opposite lane was clear and was focusing one theroad they had turned into. It's not the driver's fault that some twat came round the bend carrying massively inappropriate speed.

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:09 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biker would have easily missed the car if he'd swerved towards the middle of the road, rather than the kerb. Fixated on the obstacle rather looking at the gap I suspect, plus he needs a countersteering lesson for when (if...) he ever gets on another bike. And that somersaulting dismount...can't help thinking he's pretty lucky!

Last edited by jimster on 18:41 - 26 Sep 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moron commenter claiming that bike was doing 50-odd. It was tanking along.

Let's face it - no license, no insurance, barelling along a semi-urban road having just passed a parade of shops and several residential closes, at 5pm - the guy deserved everything he got.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jimster
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:33 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, apparently the biker tried to deny being in the accident, a hard sell given he lost a toe! I can imagine the police interview:

"Sir is this your toe"?
"No that's not my toe."
"Well where's your toe gone then? And whose toe is this??"
"Must be someone else's toe. My toe fell off last week and I just hadn't got round to reporting it missing".

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will fight the good fight on behalf of a biker against a cager but in this instance I got to admit the biker was at fault.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious crashes happen all the time on bikes (serious because the personal injury consequences can be very severe). He saw a line of cars and should have been prepared for one of them to cut across to enter the side road. This was a simple task: as simple as losing enough speed to let him hit the brakes and stop in time, or swerve out of the way. It was plain daylight. The driver may not have seen the bike - he was too close to the vehicle in front and the bike was coming the other way fast. He did indicate. Sure, he should have looked and made sure it was clear. Intelligence and fair risk calculations go hand in hand, and this incident was an everyday thing which was easily avoidable if the rider had lost a bit of speed in anticipation. This guy was deficient, with poor impulse control and forward planning:

https://www.cambs.police.uk/news/cambridgeshire/news/2023/august/womans-car-window-smashed-in-terrifying-ordeal/

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:08 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon he became invisible against that dark bush background, especially at that speed.

Still, as said above biker seems to be at fault in more ways than one.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why there are speed limits. I know some are annoying, but if the rider had been doing 30mph then he could have stopped.

That said there is still a responsibility of the person turning right to make sure the road is clear. In this case the car driver was driving pretty close behind what looks like a 4x4. That would have hampered his view of the road ahead. Plus the driver doesn't seem to pause, he just turns right without having taken the proper time to look. The driver of the car that the dashcam footage came from had given himself much more space and you can see the motorbike through & between the gaps of several of the car. If the silver car had done that the RTC, regardless of the speeding biker may not have happened in the first place.

So, I'm a 50/50 on this one. Both could have actions to prevent the collision.

Last edited by Capt Sisko on 20:20 - 26 Sep 2023; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might tear through Wandsworth at 60 40 the regulation 20mph but I assume every cunt and his mother is going to step out or cut across or do a surprise U-turn or stop suddenly... and so on. That's why I still have all my toes Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:57 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driver took reasonable care, thus not an illegal act. It's not reasonable to expect a driver to wait until there was absolutely no chance of someone travelling at massively excessive speed to be coming.

Like I say, the bike wouldn't have become visible until the driver started to turn and the driver had reasonable vision into the distance from where they turned. The car in front wasn't blocking their view, the rider was being an utter twat.

As you can see, the car was almost out of the main carriageway and into the side road when it got hit.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/untitled_206.jpg

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going off slightly off topic, the fireball. I've freeze framed the video several times and the fuel from the tank starts spraying out almost instantly on impact with the car. I'm no expert on Construction & Use regulations, but I would expect there to be a section that covers integrity in a collision.

Anyone know the details or what the make/model of the bike is?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:18 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:
I'm no expert on Construction & Use regulations, but I would expect there to be a section that covers integrity in a collision.

There will be for a given value of impact speed. That, however, will have had energy that massively exceeded that test and requirement.

Capt Sisko
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
There will be for a given value of impact speed. That, however, will have had energy that massively exceeded that test and requirement.

Maybe, but we've all seen videos of collisions before, some a lot worse than this, and this is the first one I've seen that has resulted in a tank, or more likely filler cap failure that resulted in a fireball.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:35 - 26 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Sisko wrote:

Maybe, but we've all seen videos of collisions before, some a lot worse than this, and this is the first one I've seen that has resulted in a tank, or more likely filler cap failure that resulted in a fireball.

And Grosjean's car burst into flame despite the millions spent ensuring that F1 car fuel tanks don't split.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMIDSY My arse
Bikers fault all the way
BTW It says he was banged up for affray not riding like a twat in a 30 mph zone
probably doing 70-80 or more.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:19 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Re: Biker blamed 100% for this crash....fair? Reply with quote

jimster wrote:
it'd be a bit unfair if the biker goes to jail with points etc. (and a missing toe!)

£120 and nine points for driving without due care and attention and driving without insurance is a good result for the rider imo. If he had been done for dangerous driving then he wouldn't have got off so lightly.

He is in prison and is reported to still be toeless.

Out of interest, have you read the article?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently he started the affray because he was hopping mad about his bike and got toe years in chokey

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:03 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000% the bikers fault.
There's a Plain to See Speed /Safety Gatso at the junction.
Gatsos are normally positioned at known popular accident spots. (Previous KSIs generate the requirement.)

The Fireball was just a bonus.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takes two people to crash. I'd pin most of the blame on the biker though TBH. Car driver could have made sure the road was clear (he was close enough to the car in front this his forward visibilty around the left bend would have been reduced), but the biker did next to fuck all to avoid that impact. If he'd been going at a sensible speed, was paying attention, and aimed for the massive gap between the turning car and oncoming traffic he would have ridden off with nothing more than a few swear words aimed at the car driver. Riding in the dominant lane position instead of the grease strip would have given him room to avoid too.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
SMIDSY My arse
Bikers fault all the way
BTW It says he was banged up for affray not riding like a twat in a 30 mph zone
probably doing 70-80 or more.

Affray was for intimidating ex bird and smashing her car window while harrassing her - sounds like rhum kunt all round tbf.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Takes two people to crash.

Does it bollocks. My van is in for repair after being smashed into whilst parked up. What percentage of blame should I accept?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Takes two people to crash.

Does it bollocks. My van is in for repair after being smashed into whilst parked up. What percentage of blame should I accept?

Your agument against either of those vehicles in the video being able to avoid that crash are "my van was parked". Bollocks indeed mate.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:48 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the unpalatable defending the unsupportable.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2