Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

92' YAM RXS100. Oil light stays on until 5th gear.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:13 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: 92' YAM RXS100. Oil light stays on until 5th gear. Reply with quote

Before i did any miles on the bike 99% of issues were solved for its MOT. This included just re painting the oil pump side cover and clutch side cover, i took the pump out, and refitted it without touching the adjustments. (And bled it)

A few fuel tanks later and i get the oil light coming on just in 1st and second gear, just flickering, it gets worse until today were it stays on until 5th gear at about 60mph. The engine runs absolutely fine, throttle response is exactly the same as before the issue came up, never leaked oil and its still got about 1000 miles worth of 2 stroke in it..?

There is ZERO mention of the oil level sensor or anysort of sensor in the manual of which is the most comprehensive one available.

Obviously i don't want to F around and find out but it seems to be getting a perfect amount of oil. I even foolishly revved it to 10 500 rpm and held it there for 15 seconds or so on the way back. Absolutely no sensation of lack of lubrication. And this is when the oil light holds totally solid until 5th gear?

Im no mastertech but i think this oil light is full of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an oil pressure light like on a 4-stroke, it's a level switch to tell you if the oil level in the 2-stroke tank is getting low.

So if the level is visually fine, yes there's a problem with the switch or the wiring between the switch and the light.

On your bike, power is supplied to the bulb which then goes to the switch. When the switch is in a "low oil" state, it makes a connection to earth and the bulb lights up. When it is in a "high oil" state, it is an open circuit and so stays off. It also has a connection with the neutral light which as I recall on most of these bikes, makes the oil light come on when the bike is in neutral to confirm the bulb is working.

So. It might be a faulty switch.

It could also be a break in the wire between the bulb and the switch intermittantly shorting to earth (ie touching the frame or another metal part). One thing that occurrs to me is that it is easy to trap a wire under the plastics and damage the insulation, especially if you've had bits off painting them.

It could be a short on the bulb holder in the instrument panel, I've seen this happen before if the holder pushes through a bracket which has some exposed metal on it. Test this by pulling the bulb holder out of the panel and seeing if the problem goes away.

There could also be a problem with the neutral switch, does the neutral light also stay on when it shouldn't? This is the only place where the gear position has any bearing on the oil light.

The switch should be easy to test. With a multimeter set on resistance or continuity, disconnect the oil level switch connector. It has three wires. If the sensor is immersed in a full tank of oil, there should be an open circuit (high resistance, no continuity beep) between the black on red and the black wire. If the sensor is uncovered, there should be a closed circuit between these wires (low resistance, continuity test beeps).

I should add, if there is sufficient oil in the tank, the light being on is of no relevance other than indicating there is a fault with the light. Just don't run out. It makes sense to check the oil every time you fill up.

For what it's worth, I'd put my money on there being a trapped wire and the vibrations of the engine when you're in fifth being enough to rattle it away from wherever it's shorting out.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:01 - 27 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also add that if the oil ight comes on on a 4-stroke bike, stop the engine immediately and don't ride it again until you have found out what the problem is. They mostly have a pressure switch (there are exceptions, Yamaha diversions, I'm looking at you) and if it's come on, it indicates the oil pressure has dropped to a dangerously low level and engine damage is already happening.

It could also be an issue with the switch or wiring but it's not worth taking a risk.

Mysteriass
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the last two strokes left on the road...

And we test the 2T pump is working by revving the engine hard enough to see if it seizes.

2 strokes are too good for this world.

I'll say a little prayer for all their tortured souls. Lord have mercy.

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 08:55 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's not an oil pressure light like on a 4-stroke, it's a level switch to tell you if the oil level in the 2-stroke tank is getting low.

So if the level is visually fine, yes there's a problem with the switch or the wiring between the switch and the light.

On your bike, power is supplied to the bulb which then goes to the switch. When the switch is in a "low oil" state, it makes a connection to earth and the bulb lights up. When it is in a "high oil" state, it is an open circuit and so stays off. It also has a connection with the neutral light which as I recall on most of these bikes, makes the oil light come on when the bike is in neutral to confirm the bulb is working.

So. It might be a faulty switch.

It could also be a break in the wire between the bulb and the switch intermittantly shorting to earth (ie touching the frame or another metal part). One thing that occurrs to me is that it is easy to trap a wire under the plastics and damage the insulation, especially if you've had bits off painting them.

It could be a short on the bulb holder in the instrument panel, I've seen this happen before if the holder pushes through a bracket which has some exposed metal on it. Test this by pulling the bulb holder out of the panel and seeing if the problem goes away.

There could also be a problem with the neutral switch, does the neutral light also stay on when it shouldn't? This is the only place where the gear position has any bearing on the oil light.

The switch should be easy to test. With a multimeter set on resistance or continuity, disconnect the oil level switch connector. It has three wires. If the sensor is immersed in a full tank of oil, there should be an open circuit (high resistance, no continuity beep) between the black on red and the black wire. If the sensor is uncovered, there should be a closed circuit between these wires (low resistance, continuity test beeps).

I should add, if there is sufficient oil in the tank, the light being on is of no relevance other than indicating there is a fault with the light. Just don't run out. It makes sense to check the oil every time you fill up.

For what it's worth, I'd put my money on there being a trapped wire and the vibrations of the engine when you're in fifth being enough to rattle it away from wherever it's shorting out.

That makes sense to me, panels have been off anout 100 times, no problem with neutral light though, just the usual unwillingness to go into neutral after pushing the bike.

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:00 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mysteriass wrote:
One of the last two strokes left on the road...

And we test the 2T pump is working by revving the engine hard enough to see if it seizes.

2 strokes are too good for this world.

I'll say a little prayer for all their tortured souls. Lord have mercy.

If it was a 70k mile bike and i had any notion that it was starving of oil i wouldn't have done it. Its a 17k mile bike.. it will do over 70mph its not a struggling engine.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fimez wrote:
Its a 17k mile bike.. it will do over 70mph its not a struggling engine.
..let's hope it gets to 18K..

Have some mechanical sympathy. If it's puffing blue smoke you have oil and all is good - then just fix thelevel switch or take the bulb out an remember to check the levels periodically - it has a sight window I see.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably dodgy sensor, you can get a whole tank for bugger all off ebay

these bikes are basic, there's no pressure switch or anything, i got a fucked one that would do at least 50mph with 60psi compression that i sorted by changing the rings on a mates doorstep
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:13 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Fzs wrote:
probably dodgy sensor, you can get a whole tank for bugger all off ebay

these bikes are basic, there's no pressure switch or anything, i got a fucked one that would do at least 50mph with 60psi compression that i sorted by changing the rings on a mates doorstep

It was at about 80% oil capacity, i filled it and it has stopped. What a pointless sensor, theres no way its supposed to be that sensitive..

ill live with it for now, not very helpful having a sensor that tells you 1000 miles prematurely that you need oil.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:15 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it doesn't have water in the tank too, that would sink to the bottom and could play hobb with the sensor.

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:17 - 28 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Fimez wrote:
Its a 17k mile bike.. it will do over 70mph its not a struggling engine.
..let's hope it gets to 18K..

Have some mechanical sympathy. If it's puffing blue smoke you have oil and all is good - then just fix thelevel switch or take the bulb out an remember to check the levels periodically - it has a sight window I see.

I don't like thrashing bikes. i always let it warm up before giving it over 6k.

ill get round to fixing it but it seems its just the sensor is too sensitive so no worries there. It was the progressiveness of it getting worse before i knew that worried me.

Fimez
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:27 - 30 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Check it doesn't have water in the tank too, that would sink to the bottom and could play hobb with the sensor.

That's a good point.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1