Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

reality check for PCs and monitors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: reality check for PCs and monitors Reply with quote

Reality check needed so I dont buy shit I don't need
I have two PCs and monitors

My main desktop 24" monitor has VGA, DVI-D and HDMI inputs
and the PC has 1x vga and 2x display port outputs

The CNC 22" monitor has VGA and DVI-D inputs
and the mini ITX has VGA and DVI-D outputs

Both are running 1080p in Win 10 just fine using vga cables
from on board graphics cos no games.
I don think either monitor has a native resolution higher than the current 1920x1080

So, is there any significant benefit to me buying/using
a Display port to HDMI cable for the main PC
and a DVI-D to DVI-D cable for the mini ITX?

I'm beginning to think I'd be wasting time and money and should leave it all be.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of a reason if you are happy with the current setup, internet says the picture on DVI is better specifically at higher resolutions, again if you are happy no point in changing.

A move to HDMI would allow support for audio if either monitor has speakers.

Unless I had the DVI cables or was getting them for free I wouldn't be changing them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:57 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check on CPC Farnell for cables, it might make it an easy decision, they are pretty cheap for that kind of thing.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of 1080p@60Hz, unless you experience interference in the signal, VGA is just fine.

The benefits of a digital connection are mainly in it being digital (no possible interference in the signal) and in the bandwidth which means not only much higher resolution and refresh rate, colour depth,... but also audio transfer. Lastly, a digital connection lets your PC to communicate with your monitor, colour profiles, variable refresh rate* and other such stuff.

*If your monitor and GFX card support this (AMD Freesync, Nvidia G-sync). It's a gaming thing, though.

Speaking of bandwidth, one display port connection can handle several monitors at once, the screen resolution and refresh rate both depend purely on your display port version.

NOTE: Most of the modern GFX cards are digital video only, unless you get one of those legacy cards. Conversion of the digital video to VGA may require a dedicated converter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort are three different wiring standards for essentially the same thing: digital. If you get, for example, a DisplayPort to HDMI cable the main thing you need to check is what version of DisplayPort is going to what version of HDMI and Google whether they're compatible/optimal.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 29 Sep 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys
I decided it aint broke and my current setup does everything I need for my useage so why did I get a bee in me bonnet about it?
Dunno
I cant run the monitors at any higher resolution and there's no guarantee I'd get a better pic so will leave it be and squander me dosh on some other impulse buy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1