Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forcing people to stop smoking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

My other question though, is how do you smoke a joint without tobacco?

Everybody loves hot knives...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Of course, none of these other potentially self-harming activities generate the same degree of dependance that nicotine does. Once you've started, it is very difficult to stop again if you want to get off the bus.

Point of order: cigarettes are more addictive than heroin, nicotine not so much.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Pipe, bong, "heat not burn" devices.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:46 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Plenty of non tobacco substrates out there. Honeyrose springs to mind.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was never 'forced' to breath smoker's smoke, then the proposal to increase restrictions would seem like an attack on personal choices.
But since personal choices if folk who smoke affects my personal choice not to be forced to breath other's cigarette smoke then fuk em.

Let the bans increase.
Harder and Faster please.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

With pure weed, aka a blunt. It gets expensive. I stopped when I hit a grand a month on greenery.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno how you made your blunts but mine were rolled with cognac-soaked tobacco leaves Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has prompted me to try a vape, So I bought a disposable cherry flavoured one today. It is quite sickly. Plenty enough smoke to go down your neck to get that 'burn'. I guess it is better than nothing although I doubt I'll be able to smoke it longterm.

I've found myself now smoking vape, cigarettes and blunts (Joking about the blunts I can't afford blunts).

I might try a less sickly vape flavour like tobacco flavoured.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:57 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I dunno how you made your blunts but mine were rolled with cognac-soaked tobacco leaves Smile

Ah a traditionalist. You can buy tobacco free blunts now. Or I'd just wrap it up in a silver rizlas.
https://www.shivaonline.co.uk/shop/blunts/products/juicy-jay-hemp-wraps.html

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:28 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
This thread has prompted me to try a vape, So I bought a disposable cherry flavoured one today. It is quite sickly. Plenty enough smoke to go down your neck to get that 'burn'. I guess it is better than nothing although I doubt I'll be able to smoke it longterm.

I've found myself now smoking vape, cigarettes and blunts (Joking about the blunts I can't afford blunts).

I'm off the fags and onto a vape now. Upsiude is I'm off the fags. Downside is the vape has taken over and I'm less motivated to stop.

If you've been a heavy smoker, the disposable or wee pen vapes are probably not going to do it for you. It's like smoking silk cuts. The "proper" vape setups are going to give you much more vapour and a bigger throat hit like you've actually had something.

I'd suggest getting a sub ohm mod (the bit that holds the batteries) and tank (the bit that holds the liquid) and start with a 3mg liquid, maybe even 6mg but that can be a bit too much of a hit in a sub-ohm setup. I'd use a 70:30 VG to PG liquid which will give you lots of vapour and a decent hit.

I agree most of the disposables (and in fact, most of the vape fluids) are extremely sickly. Some of them even make me actually feel nauseus.The tobacco ones just taste like crap though. If I get a disposable, I get the more sour ones like blue razz lemonade or blueberry sour raspberry. I still find them offensively sweet though.

I use coil star e-liquid which you can buy in a big "shortfill" bottle and add the nicotine to your requirements. These don't have artificial sweeteners in so are less sickly and also don't clag up the coils as quickly. I've actually taken to buying the base liquid and adding flavour shots to it and I put in about 1/3 as much as you'd normally use. Also got the nic content down to about 1mg/ml now.

I use a geekvape Ageis L200. Waterproof, robust and you can vape while it's plugged in because you become a slave to batteries. You can get coils for it next day on Amazon.

Start with the wattage low and work up. I run mine at 45w. It'll go up to 200w whichis deeply unpleasant to inhale and can singe the coils leaving it tasting like burned cotton wool.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

(I bet it was Gorgio Asdani Cognac you used.)

Rolling Eyes

Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
struan80 wrote:

I'm off the fags and onto a vape now. Upsiude is I'm off the fags. Downside is the vape has taken over and I'm less motivated to stop.

If you've been a heavy smoker, the disposable or wee pen vapes are probably not going to do it for you. It's like smoking silk cuts. The "proper" vape setups are going to give you much more vapour and a bigger throat hit like you've actually had something.

I'd suggest getting a sub ohm mod (the bit that holds the batteries) and tank (the bit that holds the liquid) and start with a 3mg liquid, maybe even 6mg but that can be a bit too much of a hit in a sub-ohm setup. I'd use a 70:30 VG to PG liquid which will give you lots of vapour and a decent hit.

I agree most of the disposables (and in fact, most of the vape fluids) are extremely sickly. Some of them even make me actually feel nauseus.The tobacco ones just taste like crap though. If I get a disposable, I get the more sour ones like blue razz lemonade or blueberry sour raspberry. I still find them offensively sweet though.

I use coil star e-liquid which you can buy in a big "shortfill" bottle and add the nicotine to your requirements. These don't have artificial sweeteners in so are less sickly and also don't clag up the coils as quickly. I've actually taken to buying the base liquid and adding flavour shots to it and I put in about 1/3 as much as you'd normally use. Also got the nic content down to about 1mg/ml now.

I use a geekvape Ageis L200. Waterproof, robust and you can vape while it's plugged in because you become a slave to batteries. You can get coils for it next day on Amazon.

Start with the wattage low and work up. I run mine at 45w. It'll go up to 200w whichis deeply unpleasant to inhale and can singe the coils leaving it tasting like burned cotton wool.

It's easy to stop the tabs.

You just STOP.

And never start again.

I takes about 6 months.

The upside is personal wellbeing improves a 100 fold.

The downside is we find out what a grumpy bastirt looks like. Shocked

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish anyone who's stopping smoking the best of luck. I don't promote smoking and it's not good for you. Cycling will be much easier when you stop. However, I think this proposed law 1) unnecessary as anyone who smokes already knows it's bad and/or is trying to stop; 2) it's the back door for more government control and restriction for things you definitely won't like, and which will affect you (thin end of the wedge); 3) is clearly unnecessary as smoking uptake among young people is very low.

Sugar, alcohol, fast food, outdoor cooking (my favourite), etc. Bans or restrictions on all of them are being proposed. This is what people are like now. All the freedoms we grew up with are being stripped away. This proposal is not about smoking but about being a chattel of central planners, and that's why I oppose it. Here some people are chafing at the bit to push through more and more restrictions on the back of this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/16zoicu/sunak_proposes_raising_smoking_age_every_year_to/

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
This thread has prompted me to try a vape…. Plenty enough smoke to go down your neck to get that 'burn'.

I’ve never been a smoker (tried it, mind) but judging by the bursts of smoke coming out of car windows on the move these vapes must generate far more smoke than ciggies. Is that a good thing? No tar, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's vapour, not smoke. The clue is in the name...

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Ok, so it’s not combusted. I’d say your intervention was helpful but for some reason you always have to be deliberately unpleasant. Shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoking: chemicals (including the various alkaloids smokers desire of which nicotine is only one) tar and particulates.

Vaping: chemicals (flavouring E-numbers, nicotine) no tar, no particulates but instead propylene glycol (synthetic) and vegetable glycerin (organic) which are somewhere between sugar and alcohol in complexity. Notably they're absorbed by the lungs and straight into your bloodstream instead of coating them like tar and particulates.

Some people are allergic to propylene glycol and obviously the occasional E-number. Major dangers are heating the concoction way beyond normal vaporisation (i.e. burning it) which leads to the formation of formaldehyde but no one would do that intentionally and very bad flavourings, e.g. buttery popcorn, that some unscrupulous manufacturers once used. The nicotine component is not particularly dangerous as an overdose would induce sickness and vomiting way before you could consume enough to kill.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:21 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Ok, so it’s not combusted. I’d say your intervention was helpful but for some reason you always have to be deliberately unpleasant. Shame.

As I said, the clue is in the name...

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

With pure weed, aka a blunt. It gets expensive. I stopped when I hit a grand a month on greenery.

feck me, no wonder you suffer with depression Shocked

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 06 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea, is there any proven advantage to smoking?
Besides all those taxes they recover . . yet smoking is a open wound to the NHS.

Lifting the age limit year on year wont effect anyone legally.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:04 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugeye_bob wrote:
Brilliant idea, is there any proven advantage to smoking?

It seems to have a preventative effect on ulcerative colitis.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:12 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
It's the New Zealand model so blame the hellkittie.

Oi! ... Hand Hand Hand

Tut Tut Tut Tut
... it wasn't me, it was Jacinda.
Folded arms

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You can still smoke a joint with tobacco ... it's not that fucking addictive. Rolling Eyes

I gave up fags in 2007 cold turkey - long before I even started regularly smoking joints - but I still used to smoke joints with a little bit of tobacco in to keep a decent shape to it (up until the time I gave up smoking joints as well*) and never got hooked back into starting fags back up again.

Once you're past the addiction, its the stench of nicotine that eventually keeps you away from them. I hate my flat stinking of fags. I let some of my closer friends smoke in my house (when I'm in a good mood), but I make them empty the ashtrays into the outside bin as they leave, and I leave the ashtray out behind the front wall so it gets washed out by the rain Laughing

*recently ... i.e., March this year.

** I'm still tempted to take joints back up, though Thinking I fell into the clutches of a lovely little dose of THC honey a few weeks back, it was very nice feeling all woozy and goofy again, but I'm not a fan of the lazy cunt with the eating disorder that I returned to being within days of having indulged in it Rolling Eyes

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
its the stench of nicotine

Nicotine is clear and odourless.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

https://youtu.be/EO7mcRoYY-4?si=LPSoW4bUqLoTCpSP

I hope that helps.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4