Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Forcing people to stop smoking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
My other question though, is how do you smoke a joint without tobacco?

Pipe, bong, "heat not burn" devices.

The heat not burn device has bee a godsend to my missus. She tried giving up the cigs several times, couldn't stand a vape but the heat not burn cig has allowed her to get her nicotine hit without coughing her ring up every morning.

It's not as ideal as giving up totally but it's 10x better than the alternative.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
hellkat wrote:
its the stench of nicotine

Nicotine is clear and odourless.

Well then its the stench of the smoke itself.
Nothing worse than a reformed smoker, right? Laughing
I wish I hadn't become this militant about anti-fags especially as many of my mates still smoke heavily - because I've managed to give up fags, I know how hard it is so I do try to take their requirements into account but I can't help it at all, it just happened, my sensitive little nostrils can't cope any more, and also my eyes start to sting if I spend too long with someone smoking cheap fags in a closed room Laughing I'm not a fan of the stench of cats either but at least they have their fluffy-wuffy moments.

I do like a nice bit of puff though - I didn't want to give THC up at all.
But my job requires my complete attention Laughing and as it pays me very well to be attentive : needs must, an' all that.

I do think its a bit OTT of the govt to take matters into its own hands like this, but if nothing else it might stop some children from starting up, cos I'm sure there's a time in all our lives when we wish we hadn't taken up the gaspers in the first place.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't like the confusion between cigarettes and nicotine. Cigarettes contain nicotine but it's not really the nicotine everyone objects to. IMO the confusion has been deliberately foisted on the public to keep activists in a job.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:21 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes. We all know thestink is tar and salt petre but nicotine is very addictive for very little return.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
nicotine is very addictive for very little return.

That's right, toe the party line. You do know conformity = cowardice?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:51 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did smoke 30 a day for 30 years. Call it experience.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I did smoke 30 a day for 30 years. Call it experience.

That's not what you said though: "...nicotine is very addictive for very little return." If you said "...cigarettes are very addictive" I wouldn't have an issue.

We have a rising problem of kids vaping and this confusion of nicotine/cigarettes doesn't help. The real problem IMO is thousands upon thousands of single-use electronic vapes littering the place. We are told that fag-butts take an age to degrade, surely these devices are much, much worse? Fuck it, let's just focus on carrier bags, straws and cutlery Rolling Eyes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:45 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nobby. Otherwise why would I still be fucking on with this vape when i haven't had a cigarette in 18 months?

The delivery system isn't the problem, it's the nicotine dependancy. It's subtle and complex. And do me the courtesy of not saying it's all in the mind. Yes it is but the mind is a pretty big thing and nicotine gets into it. Even if it isn't all that bad for you, it's something you don't need and find very hard to stop using once you start.

Probably shouldn't be conflating it with a littering problem either. The littering thing can be dealt with. The fecking things cost a fiver each and once you start using them, it's a hell of a job to stop. Shouldn't we be taking all possible steps to prevent people starting? And yes, I would extend a rolling n+1 minimum age to vapes as well as fags.

Regatding the littering issue, the government could half the littering problem overnight by allowing them to put 4ml of liquid in them instead of 2ml, or quarter it by allowing them to put 8ml in. The battery is good for it.

I probably have enough lithium cells saved in old vapes (waiting to take them to the recycling) to power an electric motorbike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an oversimplification to say it's all down to nicotine addiction alone. Why did kids in the past start smoking at 14 or whatever? Certainly not for the taste! Peer-pressure is a big factor for that age. Added to that there's all the jazzy flavours we didn't have as kids (you can have old tarmac or you can have menthol old tarmac.) So it's a multifactor problem.

We could do some research as to the relative weight of each factor in creating the problem and then deal with it in a focused and efficient manner. We could even go as far as enforcing existing laws. "Fuck it, much easier to ban it all. That way everyone gets to suffer."

As to "it's something you don't need" you can say that about anything: cannabis, alcohol, red meat, fast cars, rock climbing... People choose to do dangerous things sometimes therefore we must remove choice Sad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:08 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
It's an oversimplification to say it's all down to nicotine addiction alone. Why did kids in the past start smoking at 14 or whatever? Certainly not for the taste! Peer-pressure is a big factor for that age. Added to that there's all the jazzy flavours we didn't have as kids (you can have old tarmac or you can have menthol old tarmac.) So it's a multifactor problem.

You are missing the point that regardless of how you start, after a short time, smoking/vaping stops being a choice. Then it IS straight-up nicotine dependancy. Note I say nicotine dependancy rather than addiction because it's complex and not just the physiological addiction which is comparatively easy to overcome. I've done it twice, once for 11 years so any actual physiological addiction was long gone but the dependancy is pernicious and drags you back.

Yes peer pressure, advertising, copying parents, some sort of coming of age idea or simply being a rebellious teenager (or wanting to be seen as one) are all things that make peole start. But surely this all gives weight to the idea of legislating to prevent young people starting in the first place?

Quote:
We could do some research as to the relative weight of each factor in creating the problem and then deal with it in a focused and efficient manner. We could even go as far as enforcing existing laws. "Fuck it, much easier to ban it all. That way everyone gets to suffer."

Who exactly suffers from this legislation? Which would only effect someone who was born after 2006? If they were smoking/vaping already, they were already obtaining it illegally so nothing changes for them. Just like nothing changes for anyone born before 2006.

Quote:
As to "it's something you don't need" you can say that about anything: cannabis, alcohol, red meat, fast cars, rock climbing... People choose to do dangerous things sometimes therefore we must remove choice Sad

The things you list are -on the whole- things people know are potentially bad for them and still do because they want to. They choose to do them, they can choose not to do them. Alcohol probably less so for a minority of users. Cannabis arguably so but it's illegal anyway.

Smoking, for a hell of a lot of smokers, is something they know is bad for them and don't want to do any more but can't stop. The choice to be a smoker once made, is very difficult to unmake, many never do, even when it is actually killing them.

Like driving a fast car but after 20 miles it locks you in and you have to drive round in it forever and have to keep paying to put petrol in it to go anywhere.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you go down the route of moving the age limit outside of the usual over-16, -18, -21 - "the youth" - then pretty much everyone has to produce an ID if they wish to buy nicotine products. We have laws at the moment that don't get enforced, how is making more laws to intrude on people's lives going to fix anything?

We may be picking on nicotine at the moment but I have a general dislike for sledgehammer approaches to topics clouded with activism and vested interests.

"That went well! Now no one smokes!!! Hmm... shame we can't apply the same methodology to things people aren't so dependant on." (said no politician ever.)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 06:21 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Once you go down the route of moving the age limit outside of the usual over-16, -18, -21 - "the youth" - then pretty much everyone has to produce an ID if they wish to buy nicotine products. We have laws at the moment that don't get enforced, how is making more laws to intrude on people's lives going to fix anything?

Well, maybe mandatory production of ID to buy age restricted products would be a good idea anway. It would certainly make it easier for shopkeepers instead of them having to make a judgement call as to if they are going to ID someone.

They do this in some states in the US (the land of the free). You want to buy booze, you show ID, no exceptions, even if you walk in on a zimmer frame. Everyone knows this, there's no ambiguity and no pressure on the staff. They don't record it, they just have to be shown it so it's not like it's intruding on your civil liberties. Certainly less intrusive than using a loyalty card.

superstacker
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:34 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when it will get to the point that it isn't worthwhile being a store that sells tobacco products?

Seeing as they can't display them, the packaging is all the same now, less people are smoking all the time and now the additional rolling ID checks being planned and the headache that will bring down the road...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:46 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstacker wrote:
I wonder when it will get to the point that it isn't worthwhile being a store that sells tobacco products?

Seeing as they can't display them, the packaging is all the same now, less people are smoking all the time and now the additional rolling ID checks being planned and the headache that will bring down the road...

Then it will go underground I expect. Unless Europe does the same ban smuggling fags over the channel will become a big time operation.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started smoking during a period of being single in my 20s. I used to come home from work, roll a single skinner using tobacco and fall asleep to music with my headphones on. From that I developed a tobacco habit which lasted 30 years. I did the vape thing for a couple of years and weaned myself off that by mixing my own juice until the nicotine content became negligible and it acted only as a dummy.

Personally I think anything that makes it harder for people to start using nicotine has to be good. Never mind the health aspect, I could have bought a decent house with the money I spent on baccy.

I think that as with alcohol, caffein and sugar, keeping a population hooked enables the Government to maintain control of our spending habits and maintains the fiscal differential between plebs and those with more disposable income...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also while I'm on my soap box (forgive me, I desperately need the height advantage) one should also be suspicious of laws that affect poor people but not rich elites...

Fags: plain packaging, heavily taxed, can't smoke inside most places.

Cigars: still sold in fancy wooden boxes, taxes irrelevant (compared to the income of the purchaser) and can smoke inside the shop selling them Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:07 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstacker wrote:

Well, supply and demand isn't it. Id demand drops so will supply. But isn't a dropping demand a good thing?

I'd imagine it would move to online eventually. Which is what I do for vape stuff anyway because most of the stuff you get in shops is minging sweet stuff targetted at teeny-boppers and most places don't sell the liquids/nicotine that lets you drop the nic content.

And I suppose to me the main problem with the disposable vape market is it does seem to be targetted at the teen market. Rather than waste. Funky colours and designs, sweetie flavours etc. You can almost tell the difference between someone who has taken up vaping by itself compared to someone who has moved onto vapes as a means to stop them being a heavy smoker. The former has a funky bright coloured disposable being waved about. The latter has a battered looking mod and tank stuck to their hand and a pocket full of batteries.

I was telling off the nurses at work (all late teens/early 20's) who were trying vapes on a night out the other week. They didn't seem to appreciate they would land up getting hooked on them in the same way as fags. I asked if they wanted to land up like me standing outside in the pishing rain between consults and spending a fiver a day on vapes.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that women don't get hooked on things in quite the same way as men. Physiological or environmental? Probably a bit of both but apart from the ultra-hardcore smokers women quite often give up fags during pregnancy. For men the crunch point is "you have lung cancer" which happens much later in life.

Highlights of the differences in attitudes/usage of drugs between the sexes:

https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/substance-use-in-women/sex-gender-differences-in-substance-use

The interesting thing is male/female rates have equalised in recent years. "That'll be equality for you! Feminists with lung cancer, hahaha!" Not really. Rates of smoking in men have gone down to meet female rates.

Anecdotally I see more women vs men smoking socially on a night out and not smoking much at other times. My wife's a case in point: would smoke 2 or 3 menthols on a Saturday night but nothing during the week. Annoying Smile

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 08 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair the most social place at work is where the smokers gather. So it's good for mental health.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 09 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I was telling off the nurses at work (all late teens/early 20's) who were trying vapes on a night out the other week. They didn't seem to appreciate they would land up getting hooked on them in the same way as fags. I asked if they wanted to land up like me standing outside in the pishing rain between consults and spending a fiver a day on vapes.

"Yeah, whevs, Grandpa"

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 09 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
To be fair the most social place at work is where the smokers gather. So it's good for mental health.

When this whole no smoking thing started I was at a New Year's Eve party and the hosts were those sort of people so we had to shiver out in the back garden like lepers. (TBF why would want people round to make your house reek if you're non-smokers.) Anyhoo, an hour later the entire party was in the garden and the same hosts where hanging out the back door pleading "everybody in! we're starting charades..." Yes, those sort of people Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the instigators have uninstigated.....

New Zealand Scraps the World’s First Generational Smoking Ban.

https://time.com/6339910/new-zealand-scraps-generational-smoking-ban/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more about a systematic dismantling of all the stupidity Jacinda Ardern brought about.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
That's more about a systematic dismantling of all the stupidity Jacinda Ardern brought about.

Maybe, but as long as she is in the 'I shouldn't but I would' thread, her fame is assured. Thumbs Up

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 01 Dec 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Kiwi mates was here on a visit and told me a pack of 20 over there now costs $60 (Kiwi dollars, around two to the quid). That's tyranny, folks, an absolute abuse of whatever 'democratic mandate' the current scumbags in power were given.

Ditto the UK, though to a lesser extreme.

Meanwhile, here in Jappo-land, a pack of import-brand fags is around £2.40. Very Happy
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4