BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Royal mail

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Royal mail Reply with quote

is it just me or are they going to shit?
performance has gone noticeably down hill in my area the last couple of months with things like mail arriving a week or two late, no deliveries for several days then a mass drop.
its saddening seeing such an historic institution being destroyed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not noticed, don't get much post these days, all Amazon and Evri

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we probably get 3, maybe 4 deliverys a week and on random days as well. Parcels via Royal mail have become a nightmare for guessing how long they take.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 11 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My service is pretty good but I live in a town with a Royal Mail depot.

Smir
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked there for 7 years, left in Feb, utter shit show now.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Not noticed, don't get much post these days, all Amazon and Evri

And that right there is the crux of the problem

Less folk sending snail mail, means less money for the Royal Mail, means services will worsen year on year

The only post i get these days are anual pension statements/Council tax bill and junk mail, everything else i have opted to do online (bank statments, water, gas & elec, TV licence)

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say "the pressures of competition will drive down prices and/or improve services" but Royal Mail is something different - the clue's in the name - mail is delivered by divine mandate Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Royal Mail is something different - the clue's in the name

You're right, but the difference is that unlike its competitors, it has a universal service obligation which compels it to do loss-making stuff...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/08/uk-government-reject-royal-mail-request-end-saturday-deliveries

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I was about to say "the pressures of competition will drive down prices and/or improve services" but Royal Mail is something different - the clue's in the name - mail is delivered by divine mandate Wink

Exactly, their market share is depleting, but they still have a mandate to deliver to every address in the country daily

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently fighting with a vendor, I paid extra for Royal Mail next day delivery and it took Royal Mail four days to actually deliver. Vendor tells me they ain't responsible for Royal Mail, which is fine: they ain't but they breached our contract nonetheless by not delivering it within the stated time and in turn Royal Mail potentially breached their contract with them.

All I want is the delivery cost refunded because I never got the service I contracted into paying for. They always do it the hard way Rolling Eyes

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
Royal Mail is something different - the clue's in the name

You're right, but the difference is that unlike its competitors, it has a universal service obligation which compels it to do loss-making stuff...
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/08/uk-government-reject-royal-mail-request-end-saturday-deliveries

DPD delivers 7 days a week cheaper than Royal Snail or Parcel Farce though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:56 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private courier companies can fiddle the tax system have self-employed drivers and don't have the hassle of dealing with unions.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

DPD don't deal in letters though, or collections from Post Boxes, and all their depots are out in industrial units on the outskirts where it is cheap, not in the middle of Town & Cities where the costs are astronomical

Royal Mail will only get worse as less and less folk use it, until the point it either no longer functions, or is no longer needed (whichever comes first)

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Royal Mail will only get worse as less and less folk use it, until the point it either no longer functions, or is no longer needed (whichever comes first)

It is almost as if privatisation of things that should be public services is not a great idea in the long run. Who'da thunk it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

DPD don't deal in letters though, or collections from Post Boxes, and all their depots are out in industrial units on the outskirts where it is cheap, not in the middle of Town & Cities where the costs are astronomical

Fair enough, I send personal stuff through DPD and they pick it up from my work since thats who we use for non-pallet deliveries. They come and collect from us but we literally send hundreds of packages a day. They also do letters if you put them in a padded envelope, sent plenty that way. Letters are archaic old-hat shit that is going to die out soon enough anyway and good riddence. Hate getting letters in the mail when an e-mail could have been sent.

EDIT:

I am grateful DPD are in industrial estates with parking and not in horrible city centre locations. I hate that my local Royal Mail distribution office is nowhere near any public parking so I need to walk my lazy ass to it to collect things. Royal Mail should do it too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:01 - 13 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcuP3VLFj70

Nute
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:36 - 14 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with RM but I ordered something from China which when it arrived turned out to be crap so sent it back on 21 10 22. Applied to PayPal and got a refund maybe a month later.

About 3 weeks ago it was re delivered to my door, the box looking like it had been used as the ball in a game of rugby. No idea where it has been in the intervening 11 months.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:22 - 14 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last two bulky items from China: ordered Sept 11th, arrived Oct 2nd - went via Holland for some reason! 2nd one ordered on Oct 8th apparently being delivered today Smile

The difference? Former is via courier, latter is via Roya Mail Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that my local Royal Mail distribution office is nowhere near any public parking so I need to walk my lazy ass to it to collect things. Royal Mail should do it too.

My nearest sorting office now only opens between 8 and 10 am. Short staffed, apparently.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 14 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
My nearest sorting office now only opens between 8 and 10 am. Short staffed, apparently.

They're all the same and have been for years. Twats.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

It's hard to find sufficient employees under 5 foot*

*Joke copyright Spike Milligan

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 15 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

It won't. Because RM have the network they are forced to deliver other delivery companies mail for free but still have the cost of paying to do it.

Much the same as BT being forced to open their network to other telecom providers.

Easy-X wrote:
Last two bulky items from China: ordered Sept 11th, arrived Oct 2nd - went via Holland for some reason! 2nd one ordered on Oct 8th apparently being delivered today Smile

The difference? Former is via courier, latter is via Roya Mail Very Happy

The one ordered on the 11th came via train into Holland, the other by air freight.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1