Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why go green,electric and low emmisions?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:59 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Greta Thunberg has been charged with a public order offence after her arrest during a Fossil Free London protest.

The 20-year-old is accused of breaching a Section 14 order that police put in place outside the InterContinental Hotel on Park Lane, where oil executives were meeting on Tuesday.

The climate change activist was among protesters who gathered to object to an Energy Intelligence Forum event.

In total, 27 protesters were arrested and 26 charged, the Met Police said.

Ms Thunberg, a Swedish national, has been released on bail with a trial set for 15 November."

Wub

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67143600

I hope lots of her crusty followers turn up to the court date, disrupt things and end up getting themselves in trouble.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes further investigation shows an almost George Osborne level of smugness on her face.

Let's go net zero and act surprised when the planet burns up anyway because of the sh1t China, India etc. will continue to pump out. Latin America too will grow rapidly, and probably Africa now that China has taken over it.

The major contribution the UK can give is in research into clean fuels such as fusion (always 30 years away)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing to do with saving the planet and everything to do with gaining power.

I've said it before: if the West gives up on fossil fuels entirely instead of continuing the incremental increases in efficiency and better emissions none of said research will filter through to the poorer countries.

For example, I doubt Argentina is a hotbed of research into exhaust emissions, they just get what they're given by Peugeot. Post-2030 (if not sooner) Peugeot will stop researching ICE car design and move onto just EVs. The car tech in Argentina will be trapped in amber.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody Swedes.

Stockholm – the capital of Sweden – is set to ban petrol and diesel cars entering its city centre to reduce pollution and cut emissions. The new regulations will come into force on December 31st 2024 – meaning that drivers have 14 months to prepare for the switch.

Herr Khan will be devastated that someone has gone further than him but he can console himself with the funds from the poor that allow diesel cars to be emission free I suppose. Rolling Eyes

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/air-quality/major-european-city-confirms-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban/

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a teenager living in a European city what's the greater threat: vehicle emissions or knife crime?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:53 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about most of Europe but in my neck of the woods knife crime is whitey and is fueled by NO2. The same thing that the ULEZ is set up against...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-67137453

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:33 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a description of the kid who did the stabbing?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I don't know about most of Europe but in my neck of the woods knife crime is whitey and is fueled by NO2. The same thing that the ULEZ is set up against...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-67137453

LMAO, someone seriously went with "I didn't stab him, he ran into my knife" Shocked

Oh, and thanks for signposting your racism so clearly, Nobby Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:50 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the looks of this, knife boy is white.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk/news/2023/10/teenager-convicted-of-murdering-much-loved-ben-moncrieff/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:05 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's the victim...

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:12 - 19 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

That's the victim...

I was watching one of the videos.

https://media.aspolice.net/uploads/production/20231017152641/Op-Naples_Clip-3.mp4

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put here because I can't be arsed to find somewhere else....

Electric cars: Lords urge action on 'misinformation' in press

Now if you read the article the 'misinformation' talked about is range, charger availability and spontaneous combustion.

Taking them one at a time....
Range - I don't think I've ever read an article where the actual range of an EV ever comes close to what the manufacturers quote so which side is that misinformation on. They say an ICE vehicle is the same as in they don't come close to manufacturers figures but when you have a range of 500+ miles a bit of range degredation doesn't really hurt.
Charger availability - I don't know as I've never had to use them but there are enough comments on social media to say that where there are chargers many don't work. It seems to an outsider like me it's just Tesla that have actually got anything right and I don't know if thats valid in the UK or just the USA.
Fire - I very much doubt there are more electric car fires than petrol/diesel as stated but when they burn, they really do burn. Also on the misinformation side, the Luton car park fire was immediatly said by the fire service to be a diesel car. However it turned out to be a diesel hybrid which is slighty different and 'experts' say the CCTV of it on fire is the battery burning rather than the fuel tank.

Electric cars are coming but I think it's going to be by legislation not choice. I know they are banning ICE from 2035 but they want people buying EV's before that so whats the answer - more tax on ICE vehicles.

From the article - But Melanie Shufflebotham, co-founder of ZapMap, a UK EV mapping service, told the BBC that bringing in new taxes for EVs was too early as consumer confidence was still growing. She offered an alternative solution: "We need to up the taxes on the heavy polluting petrol and diesel cars. It is the heavy vehicles that cause the most damage."

So nothing really new in the article. Nothing about living in blocks of flats or not having driveways to charge your EV which I would think is one of the absolute killers when deciding to go EV or ICE. In fact, nothing new at all so move on chaps Laughing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68130432

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:06 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A work colleague has a new electric car. He had to go to the airport after work to pick up his wife. He took his electric car home at lunch time to pick up his petrol BMW. Told me cold temperatures near halve the stated range on the leccy one - wasn't confident he could make it.

Not seeing any upside to these things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
A work colleague has a new electric car. He had to go to the airport after work to pick up his wife. He took his electric car home at lunch time to pick up his petrol BMW. Told me cold temperatures near halve the stated range on the leccy one - wasn't confident he could make it.

Did you not have a Tesla and liked it?

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:39 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
DaddyStu wrote:

Not me fella. Do have some Tesla-owning family members though and they seem content with them. To each their own. I'm sure they're great cars - for that price they oughtta be!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Not me fella. Do have some Tesla-owning family members though and they seem content with them. To each their own. I'm sure they're great cars - for that price they oughtta be!

Ah sorry. Dredging though my fuzzy memory I think perhaps it was the FatAngryJockstrap. Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:01 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hired a car for our trip around netherlands and Germany last month.
I'd booked a C-class merc but they gave us some other fuking thing. Link & Co. I had to google who the fuk Link & Co is. Rolling Eyes
Anyway I found out (from the Google search) that it was a hybrid. Petrol..
It was OK.
We never used the plug to charge it but the engine and brakes charge the batteries.
The battery was used in town driving until you had to give it what's for. Then the engine started.
The transition from battery to engine is very noticeable and sort of annoying.
It was a 4x4 with lots of toys on-board but it is not the sort of carriage we would ever buy.
The AI voice is some effeminate male/female/they/them which has a very ghey condescending tone. It was deactivated swiftly.
It didn't catch on fire. Which is a positive, pardon the pun.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, most road vehicles fail to meet any minimal need to carry an 'effective' fire extinguisher.
The little aerosols that hold a tiny amount of something are useless and pose serious risk to anyone foolish enough to attempt using one.
Fire people suggest at least 0.5kg dry powder or equivalent foam. And then maintain it.

100000 vehicle fires in UK each year 300 per day. 100 people killed.

Lithium fires do not respond to normal fire fighting stuff.

An argument is in progress about what is best.
Consumers left high and dry.

But a mix of liquid with vermiculite is one type for a metal fire.
Metal fires produce their own oxygen so normal fire fighting doesn't work as effectively.
The rule is: Fire needs three things to exist.

Fuel
Heat
Oxygen. (From the atmosphere)
Remove one ingredient and the fire stops. If a fire has fuel, heat and can produce its own oxygen yer fuked using water or powder or foam CO2 and cetera.

How many will need to die in an electrical fire before changes are made.

Gaza is leading the world. They use horses and donkeys.

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't get why they didn't and don't make cars with removable batteries - surely this would be a far simpler answer to the time it takes to charge, access from a blocks of flats etc, etc.
Battery running low, drive into the nearest garage/stockist park up and an automated machine will remove your empty battery and replace it with a full one. 5min job and you're on your way.

Build these terminals all over the country like petrol stations so they maintain a constant supply of batteries and make the price of this a regular payment but cheaper than filling up with fuel.

We've got the ability and tech to do this, I guess the let-down as usual is capitalism. Companies won't come together and decide on a single type of battery to fit the vast majority of cars, there's just no thinking of the bigger picture and planning for a future - just lets see how quickly we can get our car on the road and take peoples money for it... Rolling Eyes
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, Mr Bean is to blame for the low uptake of the white elephants:-

Rowan Atkinson points out some of the downsides of electric vehicle ownership....

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
I just don't get why they didn't and don't make cars with removable batteries - surely this would be a far simpler answer to the time it takes to charge, access from a blocks of flats etc, etc.
Battery running low, drive into the nearest garage/stockist park up and an automated machine will remove your empty battery and replace it with a full one. 5min job and you're on your way.

Build these terminals all over the country like petrol stations so they maintain a constant supply of batteries and make the price of this a regular payment but cheaper than filling up with fuel.

We've got the ability and tech to do this, I guess the let-down as usual is capitalism. Companies won't come together and decide on a single type of battery to fit the vast majority of cars, there's just no thinking of the bigger picture and planning for a future - just lets see how quickly we can get our car on the road and take peoples money for it... Rolling Eyes

Agreed - people won't buy into the tech until this happens. At present 2nd hand values hinge on the level of capacity depeletion in the battery. With this aspect removed thatt problem goes away..

..on the otherr hand at teh swap station folk will want to get grade A battery each time..

Unless..! we go back to the old days of 2*, 4* and 5* fuel/petrol ratings.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

..on the otherr hand at teh swap station folk will want to get grade A battery each time..

That's the problem isn't it. You've just spent 100grand on a new car and then change the battery you might get a 7 year old dog. Not so much a problem if you change your battery regularly but if it was a one off for a long journey you might be stuck with something with 2/3 the range of your new one.

Edited to add another thought.
I gather car batteries are incredibly complex with lots of electronics and cooling systems. Plus the fact they weigh a tonne. If you build swapping stations would they not have duty of care problems? I mean if you swap a battery out and the coolant O ring is fcuked so you drive off, your coolant leaks away and the car bursts into flames you could sue the changing station. I get all problems are surmountable but to do a swap without performing physical checks? Dangerous game in my view. It's not like a 12v lead acid battery swap.

So it would have to be a complete rethinking of the battery and construction with all manufacturers agreeing. Feasty rightly pointed out no manufactuer will agree , it would be financial suicide.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Edited to add another thought.
I gather car batteries are incredibly complex with lots of electronics and cooling systems. Plus the fact they weigh a tonne. If you build swapping stations would they not have duty of care problems? I mean if you swap a battery out and the coolant O ring is fcuked so you drive off, your coolant leaks away and the car bursts into flames you could sue the changing station. I get all problems are surmountable but to do a swap without performing physical checks? Dangerous game in my view. It's not like a 12v lead acid battery swap.

..more liks sticking petrol in your diesel car.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery swapping has been looked into, a couple of car firms did some real-world swapping stations, but we are too far down the rabbit hole now with each manufacturer doing their own thing, and the fact the batteries are all different sizes/shapes/ratings

I'm sure i read last year that the main Japanese Motorcycle manufaturers had made some sort of agreement to standardise some EV compoents

Oh yeah, here it is:

https://www.bestmag.co.uk/japanese-oems-agree-standard-share-electric-motorcycle-batteries-between-brands/

There are mopeds/scoots with swappable batteries, with battery swapping stations, mosty in the Far East though

https://futuretransport-news.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/04/3obuthzogoqeol0a2616r624o6xa.jpeg

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a very low uptake of privately owned BEV's

I did some digging earlier after a discussion with some collegues, and it turns out that last year, only 25% of EV car sales were to private buyers, with the remaining 75% to Fleet & Small Businesses

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-12484029/Only-quarter-electric-car-sales-year-private-buyers.html

And EV car sales only accounted for around 16% of total cars sales in 2023

Just goes to show that Joe Public still ain't conviced EV's are the way forward
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4