Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Why go green,electric and low emmisions?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The interesting part will come in around 2040 when the batteries on the vast majority of EVs will be 5 years or older.

What should happen is the manufacturers replace the batteries and the old battery packs get repurposed as household energy storage for solar roofs etc. But more likely the cars will just get scrapped blowing the whole carbon footprint argument apart.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe.... Maybe by then, science and engineering will have fathoms a method of recovering and separating the metals I batteries economically and environmentally clean.
And battery tech and materials may evolve too.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
only 25% of EV car sales were to private buyers, with the remaining 75% to Fleet & Small Businesses

Just goes to show that Joe Public still ain't conviced EV's are the way forward

Fleet buyers are backing away now too, citing inadequate charging facilities, range anxiety, rapid depreciation.
Addison Lee chief executive Liam Griffin wrote:
We were slightly oversold the dream

Very diplomatic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/net-zero/why-big-fleet-buyers-going-into-reverse-electric-cars/

The government will have to start taxing EVs too.

MCN wrote:
battery tech and materials may evolve too.

As I’ve said before, there has been massive interest and investment in battery R&D for almost 150 years yet the best we have is lithium-ion, invented 50 years ago, with only small developments since. It’s therefore unlikely there is a better chemistry. Battery technology has peaked, barring the wild promises which come to nought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an american article about the mustang ev. It's sales in Ameica have bombed. Only silly Europeans are buying it. I'd love a V8 mustang but hey, I'm sure the loony left would want to transgender me for loving it!!!!

(That's another way of looking at castration Wink )

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:57 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I read an american article about the mustang ev. It's sales in Ameica have bombed. Only silly Europeans are buying it. I'd love a V8 mustang but hey, I'm sure the loony left would want to transgender me for loving it!!!!

(That's another way of looking at castration Wink )

You need to re-badge the Mustang.

This vehicle is fitted with 8 them/they/theirs.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Electric Bike manufacturer bites the dust

https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/02/cake-electric-motorcycle-bankruptcy/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Another Electric Bike manufacturer bites the dust

https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/02/cake-electric-motorcycle-bankruptcy/

When you posted this I went and dragged Zero's website up to see if they were still going. They are but I'm really suprised at that. Their flagship model looks pretty good and if the figures are correct somewhat similar to a 90's 600 speed wise. Range City:171 miles (275 km) Range High-Speed Highway Commuting:116 miles (187 km) Top speed (max):124 mph (200 km/h)Top speed (sustained):106 mph (170 km/h)

But the big kicker is it's over £20k. That's Goldwing or Ducati V4 money.
https://zeromotorcycles.com/en-gb/model/zero-srs

Someone must be buying them though or they wouldn't still be going.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the UK goes all electric, has anyone thought about demands on the grid at 6pm when everyone goes home and plugs their car on charge?
I went to a lecture that concluded that in order to accommodate this, we would have to cover 25% of the land area of the UK with wind turbines.
Still, it will be worth it to reduce our 2% contribution to global emissions, and then act surprised when temperatures still continue to rise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:24 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'll fix this as follows:

welcome to the new normal.
you get home on tuesday, plug your car in, it doesnt charge because in your postcode power draw is X, which is above Y, and thus you are in a queue.

Your car is scheduled for charging on Saturday at 3am*
(* based on current trends, this may change and your charging cycle could be missed)

BUT, for the measly extra sum of Z per month, you get priority, HURRAH. Or for a one-off payment (small) we'll enable priority for 7 days.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Still, it will be worth it to reduce our 2% contribution to global emissions, and then act surprised when temperatures still continue to rise.

What's the eco-footprint of Rishi Sunak's head on a pike? Asking for a friend Wink

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

that_impulse_guy wrote:
BUT, for the measly extra sum of Z per month, you get priority, HURRAH. Or for a one-off payment (small) we'll enable priority for 7 days.

'measly' and 'small' are all relative init bruh.

As we all know, a large amount of petrol/diesel is tax. Currently this tax is kept low on EV's in order to encourage people towards them.

Wonder what might happen when the whole country is (forced) to go electric and no more tax available from ICE's Thinking

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
What's the eco-footprint of Rishi Sunak's head on a pike? Asking for a friend Wink

He's Hindu isn't he?

Wonder what he'll come back as.

It would be quite funny if he came back as a working class person.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dream is that we'll be able to afford private transport.
It'll be car sharing and buses again for the great unwashed.
Queues for buses to work and back from work.
That's if there is any place to work.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, it might not be that bad because by then 90% of the population will be on benefits.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
On the plus side, it might not be that bad because by then 90% of the population will be on benefits.

That might be a 'tongue in cheek' statement but give it fifty years and as far as the bottom rung on the ladder of employment level of worker it will probably be true.

Quite frightening really, with probably almost Judge Dread levels of crime and Keystone cops level of crime fighting.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

It's only 54% at the moment we'll really need to get a shift-on importing more diversity to get it up to 90%.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:17 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
bhinso wrote:

It's only 54% at the moment we'll really need to get a shift-on importing more diversity to get it up to 90%.

That's hugely frightening and considering most immigrants are on the low end of the usefulness despite the left trying to describe them as productive members of society. That 600,000 a year improving our society Rolling Eyes isn't something we want or need.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bhinso wrote:

That might be a 'tongue in cheek' statement but give it fifty years and as far as the bottom rung on the ladder of employment level of worker it will probably be true.

Quite frightening really, with probably almost Judge Dread levels of crime and Keystone cops level of crime fighting.

I think it's true that, generally, children use their parents as role models for their own behaviour.

Which area of society are reproducing the most? Career driven professionals who don't tend to settle down until their 30's, or Benefit driven individuals who pop till they drop?

Give it 30 years.... Sad

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry’s Garage: I'm back in a diesel after 4yrs running both EV & PHEV. What needs to change to get me to go back?
He makes some interesting points based on experience.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I can imagine giving it ot her whilst she stares at me this way Laughing

Anyhow we are tottaly fcuked with the climate change whatever we do.

I mean the prick with the SpaceX rockets wants to have in the next few years 42 000 satellites. One rocket is for 60. 7000 rockets will fuck the ozone layer for sure.

https://research.noaa.gov/2022/06/21/projected-increase-in-space-travel-may-damage-ozone-layer/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Just a very logical well put forward summary. The Lords of course will call it misinformation and the greens will be tearing at their hair shirts but you can't argue with much he has said. Thumbs Up

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corporate/releases/release-a463299e9046a088b84018a758197588-gm-honda-begin-commercial-production-at-industrys-first-hydrogen-fuel-cell-system-manufacturing-joint-venture

Welcome to the future, hopefully these will be commonplace before too long and cheap enough for me to give up my V6 and V8 45L/day gas guzzlers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
https://hondanews.com/en-US/honda-corporate/releases/release-a463299e9046a088b84018a758197588-gm-honda-begin-commercial-production-at-industrys-first-hydrogen-fuel-cell-system-manufacturing-joint-venture

Welcome to the future, hopefully these will be commonplace before too long and cheap enough for me to give up my V6 and V8 45L/day gas guzzlers.

What's the EV revolution like across the pond? Are people going for it?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

What's the EV revolution like across the pond? Are people going for it?

I'm not sure how representative my response will be, I live in a full-on hick county, the size of Berkshire and believe I'm probably the only Brit living in the county, in the upstate of South Carolina but, to give you some idea, a quick check tells me that we have precisely 1 public EV charging station. Laughing

South Carolina has 476 such stations in total, putting that in terms of area SC is about the combined size of Belgium and Devon.

I see the occasional Tesla making sedate progress on the local interstates, can't remember the last time one passed me while cruising at my standard 76mph. I think I saw an electric VW SUV last week and I have seen a couple of Rivians in the last year, starting to get the picture?

It's not unusual to see a Tesla or two if I head to the nearest large town of Greenville, but they do have a young, educated population and the place is full of Euro-furriners thanks to BMW plonking it's X-series production plant nearby. Cross over the state line into the hippy-dippy mountain town of Asheville NC and you are likely to see a few more Teslas dotted among the hordes of Subaru Outbacks.

An EV has zero practical use to a working person in semi-rural 'Murica. My daily round trip is about 200 miles, I can get all my tools in my Nissan Frontier but am pretty much screwed when I need to pick up the occasional cabinet, so that limits me to the Toyota Tundra. Trying to run something that size as a 4x4 EV, which retains space for carrying stuff that isn't it's batteries, while relying on an electrical system that goes down about once a month and more often in stormy weather and then, god forbid, finding yourself needing a charge on a jobsite, 4000' up a mountain, with nothing more than an electric pole with six sockets 200' from the house/parking with 4 or more trades running all kinds of electric tools, doesn't really scream practicality for EV's.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 10 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Beyond the, “It only emits water!” city car appeal I can’t see how hydrogen fixes anything. So you’ve made your electricity from wind/solar/tidal (nowhere near enough to meet even existing uses but that’s another matter) but you’re not going to use it for transportation yet, you’re going to use it to hydrolyse water and then create extraordinary pressure to compress the hydrogen into liquid form? Now you’ve got to store it and transport it to regional fuel stops, but the existing petrol/diesel infrastructure isn’t suitable. Besides which, you’ve already incurred considerable efficiency losses. Sounds like a dead end.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4