Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Heating up time?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Heating up time? Reply with quote

so folks when do you turn the heating on?

Ther was a light frost and yet it was 14 C inside my house this morning - so naturally I resisted since only me there.
When my daughter stays I might get pestered but she's quite resilient. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

that_impulse_guy
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:17 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put mine on the first time last night as things dipped below 16c internally.
and again this morning. I "hope" for the rest of this week not to have to do it again as overnight temps are in the high single digits, whereas this morning by me was 3.. (outer london/essex btw)

its unaffordable to stay warm using heating in this house.....clothes/dogs/body warmth is cheap/free

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Heating up time? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ther was a light frost and yet it was 14 C inside my house this morning - so naturally I resisted since only me there.

I generally never put my heating on unless my son says it's cold or if it's the height of winter then I will do it just to make sure pipes don't freeze, etc.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Heating up time? Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
A100man wrote:

I generally never put my heating on unless my son says it's cold or if it's the height of winter then I will do it just to make sure pipes don't freeze, etc.

'Fat Angry Hardy-As-Fuck Scotsman'

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: Heating up time? Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

'Fat Angry Hardy-As-Fuck Scotsman'

I agree with him. When I'm in the house the heating stays off until ear ache from wifie gets too much. She was esconced on the sofa with an electric blanket round her watch stictly yesterday while I was in the man cave watching the rugby in T shirt and shorts!

However on the boat I will light the solid fuel stove simply because I like having the fire going. Thumbs Up

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck it on for 5 mins last night to check it actually still worked but 19c in the house so me and the mrs will continue to make our own heat
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned mine on for the first time today. New boiler too. Family came home and took it over the set temp so its off again now.

Decent temps are coming back this week but accompanied by unsettled weather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:33 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been back on for a few weeks.

I'm always confused by all of the heating-avoidance, and what appears to be quite a lot of physically turning it on or off. I have the thermostat set with the various temperatures required for different times and days, and the house stays at the temperature I want.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifty
There was a day in July when it was quite cold ...

I just turn it on when I feel cold, doesn't matter when.
Its been on more lately, yeah.
And it will stay on most of the way through til at least February.

I did feel a *little* bit guilty when the cleaner once came out of the bathroom sweltering back in about May ... and asked if the heating was on *oops* Embarassed

Laughing Laughing

Don't care, its my money, home, body temperature, my comfort.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 16 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont use heating, too expensive.
i just sit in a sleeping bag and put a hat on if it gets too extreme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heating has already been on for the last 2 weeks (not permanently) but then I keep adjusting it via my Hive setup so it only comes on in short bursts.
There was the massive fuss over rising energy prices last year which really led to nothing. I'm with Octopus Energy and my price hardly moved and it's not silly high now, £200pm for a 3 bed semi. In fact it's since been reduced by £20 a month and I've got a current credit of £500 so that will take me over winter.

I've been using my caravan as my office whilst my house has had work done on it, this week is the first time the little electric heater just didn't do it's job, so I ended up turning the gas on and using the proper caravan heater. Lovely and cozy! Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned it on Sunday night as it dropped down to 3 degrees in central London. Weather report said 4 but my external temp sensor said 3.
I fitted a Hive controller a couple of years back, the old Honeywell thermostat had a bad display from new so thought I may as well sort it.

I've just had new windows and doors fitted (damn the trickle vents). Hopefully I won't need as much heating this year.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:48 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i dont use heating, too expensive.
i just sit in a sleeping bag and put a hat on if it gets too extreme.

I'd do something similar if it werent for the tribe. Probably just have it on in my man-cave at most.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I feel chilly it goes on.
Some days I come back in from working outside and I'm not so Nesh so I don't put it on.

Often I'm aware of how much the bloody heating costs so I put a jumper and hoody on, other times I don't give a rats-ass and crank it.

Mrs Terror is the lizard queen and would happily have it like a vivarium.

The battle of the thermostat is what keeps us together. That and the secrets we have on each other....oh and the incredible sexual intercourse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it goes on is not so important.
It's who's brave enough to turn the fuker off next year in June?
That's a Hard as Fuk person, if the truth were to be told.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine got turned on yesterday but it's turned off by the timer during the day so it was a two cardi day yesterday...

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

During last years 'crisis' I trained myself to withstand down to 15C, below that I turn on my old school gas fire (a remnant of the now decommissioned Baxi back boiler) if it's only me in the house. The CH comes on if the kids are there AND they moan. They have also gotten used to making up a log/coal fire in their TV room which helps

During winter my house is almost always cold - it is now fully double glazed which has seemingly made fuck all difference cos 9" solid wall I think - even though built 1950 ish Confused

Apparently I only used 5500 KWh of gas last year - (my target was 8000) and around 1000 KWh elec. Bill is miniscule as a result.

I might relax a bit on that this year... Thinking

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
During last years 'crisis' I trained myself to withstand down to 15C, below that I turn on my old school gas fire (a remnant of the now decommissioned Baxi back boiler) if it's only me in the house. The CH comes on if the kids are there AND they moan. They have also gotten used to making up a log/coal fire in their TV room which helps

During winter my house is almost always cold - it is now fully double glazed which has seemingly made fuck all difference cos 9" solid wall I think - even though built 1950 ish Confused

Apparently I only used 5500 KWh of gas last year - (my target was 8000) and around 1000 KWh elec. Bill is miniscule as a result.

In certain places in Ukraine folk are feeding their winter fire using their furniture.

I see it like money in the bank, so to speak.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Mate it's floating between 10 - 14 degrees here and I am quite literally wearing shorts and a t-shirt Embarassed

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Mate it's floating between 10 - 14 degrees here and I am quite literally wearing shorts and a t-shirt Embarassed

Must be the heat coming off that big knob that's keeping you warm. Rolling Eyes

Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guitar just detuned overnight... time to check the heating even works. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
My guitar just detuned overnight... time to check the heating even works. Laughing

We need a welfare check on RhynoCZ.
I think the tight bastirt hasn't turned his heating on yet and he's suffering the early effects of hypothermia.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourselves some merino wool under garments for the cold weather. the stuffs fantastic. not cheap though.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

We need a welfare check on RhynoCZ.
I think the tight bastirt hasn't turned his heating on yet and he's suffering the early effects of hypothermia.

I don't mind a bit chilly weather. I pretty much wear shorts and t-shirts all year long. Not when having a meeting with my bosses and clients, of course. I also do cold showers.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 18 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
get yourselves some merino wool under garments for the cold weather. the stuffs fantastic. not cheap though.

Last time I was in NZ I scored some merino wool socks off my mum.

When I was back in Blighty and staying round the Senior Consort's place I wore them once or twice and they really did make a difference, not only kept my feet warm but I also had a merino cardi which was light but warm as fuck.

There was a couple of times there when I didn't whinge at him to turn the heating back on Laughing
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2