Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

This is why you don't want a Chinese bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:21 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: This is why you don't want a Chinese bike Reply with quote

So, I'm working on this horrible retro Chinese e-ped (Ecobit/Romex/Quazzar/Bumblebee - there are loads of different versions). On removing the leg shield to get to the (faulty) electrics I was greeted by this:

https://i.imgur.com/Q8sVl74.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/U7xj2qA.jpeg

Yep, that's the swingarm. As you can see, the powder coat is still intact, so rust isn't the issue. No, it's the piss-poor Chinesium that the thing is made from. For reference, it's seven years old, with 7000 miles on the clock. Good, eh?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Re: This is why you don't want a Chinese bike Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/U7xj2qA.jpeg

For reference, it's seven years old, with 7000 miles on the clock. Good, eh?

Must be a Chinkonese record.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll trump you a less then two year old Lexmoto Urban scooter
that had the upper shock mount ( single shock) suddenly sheer off the frame causing the suspension to collapse.
It had never carried a passenger, only a delivery box which is far lighter
than any passenger over say 6 years old.

I repaired it under his insistence although it really should have been returned under warranty but the owner
just wanted to keep delivering them pizzas ASAP as downtime was losing him money.

The repair held up well until he got rear ended which caused a skinny
bracket holding the rear mudguard to bend and foul the rear wheel.

I could have straightened it out in 10 minutes but he got the insurance involved and they wrote if off CAT B based on a pic of this minor damage.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:31 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Lexmoto Urban

Lexmoto sell an ICE version of this heap (Milano 125, see also AJS Modena); dunno if those are the same but this electric one has a single sided swingarm to accommodate the hub motor. It's cracked on the other side from the arm, which suggests the design has made promises that the Chinese monkey metal couldn't keep. I reckon it would have snapped clean off within the next hundred or so miles.

jeremyr62
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:25 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not good.
Welds are notorious for having poor resistance to fatigue cracking so it's not like they wouldn't have known that was a likely point of failure.
Just crappy engineering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
WD Forte wrote:
Lexmoto Urban

Lexmoto sell an ICE version of this heap (Milano 125, see also AJS Modena); dunno if those are the same but this electric one has a single sided swingarm to accommodate the hub motor. It's cracked on the other side from the arm, which suggests the design has made promises that the Chinese monkey metal couldn't keep. I reckon it would have snapped clean off within the next hundred or so miles.

I've got a AJS Modena (well my girlfriend does, I just fix it when it breaks). They've had like 3 recalls because the bracket that holds the brake caliper and exhaust keeps breaking or the bolts come loose and when it does it hits the ground and flings you off the bike Laughing . What an utter bag of shite it is, I'm glad I'm finally selling it this week.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Chinese Zontes 125 was fantastic. Didn't miss a beat and no corrosion worthy of mentioning despite going through 2 winters and being stored outside.

More corrosion on my similar mileage (admittedly older) Yamaha.

Some of those new 700cc Benellis and 500cc Voges look great too with a decent spec list.... if a little low on power:weight.

If in the market for a bike I wouldn't let a Chinese origin dissuade me. Especially as you can save 1000s compared to similar bikes from the major brands.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

Some of those new 700cc Benellis and 500cc Voges look great too with a decent spec list....

'Look great' Thinking.. quite

DaddyStu wrote:

If in the market for a bike I wouldn't let a Chinese origin dissuade me. Especially as you can save 1000s compared to similar bikes from the major brands.

I'm afraid the weight of evidence and personal experience (mine included) would suggest otherwise. Although Zontes do appear to fair better than most. and I suppose Benelli has some kind of reputation to protect.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:18 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:

Darwinism in action Thumbs Up

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:31 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:

Maybe this old "All Chinese bikes are rubbish" trope could do with a little evolution. Save some new riders a little bit of money they can use elsewhere. Like their insurance or heating bills.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but if you say anything bad about Chinese bikes you're just against young people! Don't you know how bad it is for young people. Some of them might not even make it as social media influencers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:42 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you heard of the principle 'false economy'?

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I'm afraid the weight of evidence and personal experience (mine included) would suggest otherwise. Although Zontes do appear to fair better than most. and I suppose Benelli has some kind of reputation to protect.

A fair, balanced comment backed up with experience.

So from that we can deduce that the fact a bike is Chinese doesn't necessarily make it rubbish. However, buying a bike that is £1000 more for almost the exact same bike will 'certainly' make one poorer.

My 125 choice boiled down to a Honda CB125R or a Zontes G1. I rode the Honda and it is an excellent bike as you'd expect but aside from a slightly better power:weight ratio you'd be paying 1000+ more because it has a different word written on it.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:47 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
Maybe this old "All Chinese bikes are rubbish" trope could do with a little evolution.

Not until the bikes evolve beyond being dangerous landfill, no.

While it's a bit of a generalisaton I feel that "All Chinese bikes are rubbish" is a considerably better fit than "All Chinese bikes are great", or even "All Chinese bikes are nearly adequate". You appear to have got lucky for the whole two years you kept yours outside, most people who buy these shitters don't.

Last edited by slowasyoulike on 20:55 - 23 Oct 2023; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:49 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure that Honda quality control would massively exceed any chinese company.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:56 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Pretty sure that Honda quality control would massively exceed any chinese company.

Yes - i'd expect the Honda to have greater longevity but 125s aren't generally kept for a long time. Think the service intervals on the Zontes were every 3000 miles which might also be an admission in that regard.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep probably is turning into a chinese is shit thread
so for balance
I'm not anti chinese bikes cos they're chinese but too many
seem to be built to a price instead of a standard
Not all chinese bikes are though and they can do it right at times.
Honda, Yamaha etc get bikes built there, your phone probably comes from there, mine does and I cant fault it.
One of my lads had a Lexmoto Arrow and while it was basically a modern looking Cg125 with typical unspectacular performance, it never went wrong
and it was humble little commuter that just kept going.

What I dont like is the way they seem to pump out new models every two weeks or so and getting spares and detailed tech info can be an arseache too.
Models seem to be obsolete with a year or so.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:44 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I found it near impossible to get parts over here. At least at sensible prices. Dealer networks certainly need work. Aliexpress though was brilliant. Took a few weeks to arrive but everything I ordered arrived and worked well. I've added I think 6 upgrades to my Yamaha since part-exing the Zontes - all from aliexpress. Eyeing up a full exhaust system now for just £50.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts were easy to find for my AJS scooter. I bought a carb and starter motor for mine on amazon with prime with next day delivery and I could get practically everything else on the AJS site shipped from the UK.

I wouldn't say Chinese bikes are shit but it's a bit of a coin toss if you are going to have issues or not. I've talked to people with the same scooter as me that haven't had any issues at all meanwhile mine seems to have a new problem every month. If I had to buy another 125 I would gladly pay extra for a Honda and I'd have a better shot of getting a lot more of my money back when I sell the bike.
I don't think it's fair to say they are good just because Japanese brands are made there either, the Japanese have quality control standards that the Chinese bikes aren't being held to when they make them for themselves.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:16 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sons first bike was a chinese 125 twin, a year old with negligable milage and it cost me peanuts. I had no experience of chinese bikes then and thought I had got a bargain - silly moi!

His bike snapped its chain. A bike that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding snapped the chain. Luckily he only had minor injuries from it but from then onwards I happiy slagged off every chinese bike. Still do.

I bought my daughter an SR125 for her first proper bike. It never gave any problems at all until it was nicked and torched by local scrotes.

Jap, European and even Enfield might cost more but at least you know what you are getting.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 23 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaddyStu wrote:
slowasyoulike wrote:

Maybe this old "All Chinese bikes are rubbish" trope could do with a little evolution. Save some new riders a little bit of money they can use elsewhere. Like their insurance or heating bills.

To be honest I think my Zontes was alright too. Did me good, had nice little extras you wouldn't get on a Jap 125, held up well as a daily commuter through 2 winters. It wasn't the most amazing motorcycle but it sure wasn't shite either.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:03 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Not all chinese bikes are though and they can do it right at times. Honda, Yamaha etc get bikes built there, your phone probably comes from there, mine does and I cant fault it.

Indeed, but there's a world of difference between stuff that comes out of a Honda or Yamaha factory which will have proper QC imposed by the parent company, and Chinese domestic market shite that's built down to a very low price and similarly low standard, then sold here with badges like Lexmoto, Baotian, Jianshe, Jialing, Sinnis, Lexmoto, Quazzar or, in the case of the death trap in the original post, Romex.

WD Forte wrote:
yep probably is turning into a chinese is shit thread

I hope so, because that's why I started it! Personal experience with wanky Chinese bikes is easily written off; photos like the one in the original post aren't so easy to dismiss (for some people anyway).

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engage the handlebar lock on a Zontes 125. Turn the bars. No sudden movements or jerkiness. It shouldn't break. Do you dare?

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
...Indeed, but there's a world of difference between stuff that comes out of a Honda or Yamaha factory which will have proper QC imposed by the parent company, and Chinese domestic market shite that's built down to a very low price and similarly low standard, then sold here with badges like Lexmoto, Baotian, Jianshe, Jialing, Sinnis, Lexmoto, Quazzar or, in the case of the death trap in the original post, Romex....

European YBR's have been imported from China since 2003 www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YBR125
It's not where the bikes are made that undermines reliability and durability, these attributes are the result of quality control (which, as slowasyoulike stated, is enforced by reputable manufacturers). Unfortunately, there are many people in this world that will prioritize a low purchase price above all other consideration, and the Chinese are happy to accommodate. The labor costs to produce a quality product are probably not much different than the costs to produce a piece of shit. Chinese companies achieve low purchase price by relaxing manufacturing tolerances and using less expensive, lower quality build materials.

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 23:15 - 24 Oct 2023; edited 1 time in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 24 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Unfortunately, there are many people in this world that will prioritize a low purchase price above all other consideration, and the Chinese are happy to accommodate. The labor costs to produce a quality product are probably not much different than the costs to produce a piece of shit. Chinese companies achieve low purchase price by relaxing manufacturing tolerances and using less expensive, lower quality build materials.

Jeffy nails it on these two points

I was one of teh former when I innocently bought a Jingcheng Dax 90 , cos they were cool in the 70s when Honda made them. In retrospect I might have been able to buy a second had genuine Honda which woudl have been a better bet.

Out of the crate it 'looked great' but almost every part was inferior - thin paint, no primer crome direct on steel, brittle plastics, hard as rock rubber - leading to premature seal failures etc.. This best bit was probably the engine but since I only did about 500 miles I never truly tested it. The 30 year old A100 that I replced it with was miles better.

It'll take a lot of convicing for me to buy a new Chinese bike over a secondhand Jap any time soon.

This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2